Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Death Takes No Holiday -- The Obituary Thread

17 minutes ago, MikaelaArsenault said:

Well at least he got to see the L.A. Lakers win another NBA championship.  

Tommy was well known in my circle as a Lakers fan,  and will go down as one of the most "homer" announcers in sports history.

Rest in peace Tommy and say hi to Red,  etc...    (I say etc.,  since I looked up the 1959 - 1969 team which Tommy was on and most of these guys are thankfully still with us).

• Like 1

A Rolling Stone critic's review of an early Heep album became somewhat notorious when the critic

said she'd commit suicide if Heep made it. Of course she didn't. I have a few Heep albums from the

early 1970s which was their most commercially successful time in the U.S. After that their U.S.

sales went down rather quickly. 

On 11/10/2020 at 11:34 PM, Vautrin said:

A Rolling Stone critic's review of an early Heep album became somewhat notorious when the critic

said she'd commit suicide if Heep made it. Of course she didn't. I have a few Heep albums from the

early 1970s which was their most commercially successful time in the U.S. After that their U.S.

sales went down rather quickly. 

Uriah Heep are still active..Hensley left after the Conquest lp in 79-80,Mick Box is the only original member in the band,all the others foutding members are deadLee Kekslake died 2 months ago,they were very big in Germany and in Russia, Japan,still releasing stuff i heard.

15 hours ago, nakano said:

Uriah Heep are still active..Hensley left after the Conquest lp in 79-80,Mick Box is the only original member in the band,all the others foutding members are deadLee Kekslake died 2 months ago,they were very big in Germany and in Russia, Japan,still releasing stuff i heard.

I went to their Wiki page out of curiosity and yes they are still around. Fifty years is quite a milestone,

even though only one original member is still in the band. I haven't listened to my albums in a while, but

they were pretty decent. After that they kind of fell off my radar. 

Lynn Kellogg first sang EASY TO BE HARD in the original Broadway production of HAIR in 1968. Although originally written about the opposition to the Vietnam War, it's a song that has never lost its relevance in a politically polarized world. A version by Three Dog Night became a major hit record in 1969.

• Like 2
10 hours ago, SansFin said:

Maria Makowska-Kalinowska (1945 – 14 November 2020)

She and her husband were known as the most avid filmgoers in Poland. They watched 10,000 movies in theatres between 1973 and 2008. 

I tried to find an article in English about her death, but they were all in Polish.

Israel Horovitz, who was a playwright and screenwriter known for films including Author! Author!, Sunshine, and James Dean, passed away on November 9th from cancer at his home in Manhattan.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/11/theater/israel-horovitz-dead.html

His son Adam was in the hip hop group Beastie Boys and his daughter Rachael is a film and TV producer.

• Thanks 2
On 11/17/2020 at 4:02 PM, SansFin said:

Maria Makowska-Kalinowska (1945 – 14 November 2020)

She and her husband were known as the most avid filmgoers in Poland. They watched 10,000 movies in theatres between 1973 and 2008. 

Wow! 10,000 movies, ya say Sans? And ALL in movie THEATERS??? 

Well,  I certainly hope for the sake of the Makowska-Kalinowskas' finances all those years, they don't jack up the price of a freakin' box of movie theater popcorn in Poland and like they do HERE!

(...not that Maria will have to worry about this sort'a thing much anymore)

• Like 1