Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Death Takes No Holiday -- The Obituary Thread

Abby Dalton,.

.. ...

Madam Dalton.. .... Sadly Past.. ....a +week Ago Now..

So Maybe This Sentiment Has Already Been Posted,.

Be That, As it Either Way..

_

A Smile..

A Giggle,.

A Laugh..

and A Voice. ..

That Could Power a Train and Make Easter Island Heads C.rack...

_

Goodebye.. ....Madam Calamity Jane.

🌬🕊🌠🌟🌈🌈💝🌈

gone., ..

But Never Forgotten...

🙏💝💝💝👙🌟🎨🌠🌈🎭🌈🌈🌈

You can watch the Ken Burns documentary on country music and see the ridiculous obstacles Pride had to overcome as a black man trying to sing country music in the late '60s. Not really discussed anywhere I've read but something I've always wondered about is how he was received in the black community singing all this "hillbilly" stuff. I can't say I was a devoted fan, but I do have his first hit, "Just Between You and Me", in my iTunes collection. His success in his field was massive. He was the third most successful country singles artist of the '70s behind only Conway Twitty and Merle Haggard.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

You can watch the Ken Burns documentary on country music and see the ridiculous obstacles Pride had to overcome as a black man trying to sing country music in the late '60s. Not really discussed anywhere I've read but something I've always wondered about is how he was received in the black community singing all this "hillbilly" stuff. I can't say I was a devoted fan, but I do have his first hit, "Just Between You and Me", in my iTunes collection. His success in his field was massive. He was the third most successful country singles artist of the '70s behind only Conway Twitty and Merle Haggard.

I can remember very well that Ray Charles sang country and western  music in the early 60s-- he sold millions of Records--

and didn't seem to have any problems with it.

But what I do remember is that Olivia Newton-John was widely  shunned and criticized by the country and western artistic community when she was successfully recording that kind of music.

Yes, that is true, Ray Charles did put out a couple of extraordinary albums of country material, although he did it in his own style, and it's worth noting it was completely ignored by country radio. He didn't have his first Top 40 hit on the country charts until 1982.

You got me interested in Olivia Newton John's country career, so I'm checking out my reference book. She was probably never fully embraced by the country establishment the way she should have been (interestingly, about a generation later, no one seemed to have a problem with Keith Urban being Australian). I think John Denver had some of the same problems. But Newton-John did score 13 Top 40 hits on the country charts between 1973 and 1979, seven of which hit the Top 10, although none of them made it to #1.

On 12/12/2020 at 2:09 AM, Aritosthenes said:

Abby Dalton,.

.. ...

Madam Dalton.. .... Sadly Past.. ....a +week Ago Now..

So Maybe This Sentiment Has Already Been Posted,.

Be That, As it Either Way..

_

A Smile..

A Giggle,.

A Laugh..

and A Voice. ..

That Could Power a Train and Make Easter Island Heads C.rack...

_

Goodebye.. ....Madam Calamity Jane.

🌬🕊🌠🌟🌈🌈💝🌈

gone., ..

But Never Forgotten...

🙏💝💝💝👙🌟🎨🌠🌈🎭🌈🌈🌈

She passed away on November 23rd, and has been mentioned already.