Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Death Takes No Holiday -- The Obituary Thread

1 hour ago, sewhite2000 said:

Wow, now that sounds interesting! I know almost nothing about Mountain, but I believe Pappalardi was the producer of Disraeli Gears and maybe some other Cream albums and also was an extra instrumentalist and maybe co-writer of the music on a couple of songs. In fact, I think Pappalardi's wife or girlfriend of the time may have written the lyrics of one of the songs (the boys in Cream don't seem to have been too interested in writing a lot of lyrics themselves). Unsure if this is the same woman who would go on to shoot him. But you've given me a new Wikipedia wormhole to go down!

Indeed.  And in true Sepia style, I have to say I liked THIS West project a lot more than Mountain!

Sepiatone

4 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

Wow, now that sounds interesting! I know almost nothing about Mountain, but I believe Pappalardi was the producer of Disraeli Gears and maybe some other Cream albums and also was an extra instrumentalist and maybe co-writer of the music on a couple of songs. In fact, I think Pappalardi's wife or girlfriend of the time may have written the lyrics of one of the songs (the boys in Cream don't seem to have been too interested in writing a lot of lyrics themselves). Unsure if this is the same woman who would go on to shoot him. But you've given me a new Wikipedia wormhole to go down!

There is a moral here.  If you choose to buy a gun for your wife just be careful not to **** her off.

• Haha 1
12 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

felix-pappalardi-e1466235935283.jpg?fit=

He made it much past partner, Felix Pappalardi who was shot and killed by his wife in 1983.

I would put an asterisk next to Pappalardi's death as it was not from natural causes. If I recall it correctly, Gail

Collins was Pappalardi's wife at the time of his death. I don't believe she served much time as some kind of

self-defense defense was used. She also illustrated some of Mountain's album covers. I have a couple Mountain

albums, one vinyl and one CD. I never bothered with the further output of Leslie West as I had neither the

interest or the budget at the time to do so.

I managed to see Mountain in Toronto and was a fan but the band was superseded by others in fairly short order.  I was a fan of The James Gang as well.

I had a group of friends and we used to each buy different groups which made it interesting.  And one friend had a vp of a Record label for a neighbour and he used to get about 10 albums in exchange for just a car wash.

Gail Collins Pappalardi gets only three short paragraphs on Wikipedia, but it pretty much answers all my questions. She wrote the lyrics for "Strange Brew" and another song called "World of Pain" that I haven't heard before on Disraeli Gears, painted the covers for most of the Mountain albums and wrote the lyrics for a number of their songs. Though she and Pappalardi had an "open marriage" she shot and killed him when he came home after spending all night with one of his girlfriends. She claimed the gun went off accidentally, but there's no information on why she was holding it in the first place. She was found not guilty of either murder or manslaughter but guilty of the lesser charge of criminally negligent homicide. She was sentenced to a maximum of four years in prison but was paroled after only two. She lived another 28 years and was found dead by her landlord in a Mexican resort village in 2013 where she'd  been undergoing cancer treatments.

2 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

I managed to see Mountain in Toronto and was a fan but the band was superseded by others in fairly short order.  I was a fan of The James Gang as well.

I had a group of friends and we used to each buy different groups which made it interesting.  And one friend had a vp of a Record label for a neighbour and he used to get about 10 albums in exchange for just a car wash.

Bogie you are reviving souvenirs...Mountain was my 2nd attended rock concert.1st was 10 years after 2 months before.Mylon Lefevre was opening,this was on June 18th 1971  at Place des Nations in Montreal (former EXPO site) a summer under the stars serie for $2 a show .a great place open air,in summer 71 i saw  also ELP,Humble Pie with Frampton (he quit soon after)Procol Harum.I did not care about Black Sabbath -even for $2!! I regret very much not going to the last show of the series in early september  The Allman Brothers with Duane Allman... he died the following month-i did not know them as well as the others,i have never met anybody who was at the final show.Back to Mountain,i saw the 4 piece line-up with Knight on keyboards,they were supporting their real 2nd lp Nantucket Sleighride,the week after the Montreal show they played the Fillmore where the live side of their lp Flowers of Evil was recorded. Mountain were talented musicoans making 'intelligent noise' unlike Grand Funk Railroad & other less talented bands.Pappardi is playing the viola on Cream's White Room.He played many instruments ,  had a unique bass sound,Mountain was very loud no wonder he developed a severe earring problem.My only complain of him as a producer for Cream he should had let the boys loose at the end of Sunshine of love,Cream was a jamming band,too bad tapes were not done ,the limiting length of lps prevented the inclusion.Strangely enough Cream were the last shows  i have seen,in 2005 i went to NYC to catch their last 2 of 3 special concerts at MSG.I fullfilled an old dream as i was way too young when they originally split.Gail Collins shot Pappalardi,got only a few years in jail-i was very surprised then when I learned it .She did also all the lps artwork.

• Like 2
18 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

My dad saw Mountain many times in the 70s.

Lori

18 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

I

From THIS point on?

Their debut album.  But I recall them as a quintet at the Grande a few times in '68-'69.

Sepiatone

50 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

From THIS point on?

Their debut album.  But I recall them as a quintet at the Grande a few times in '68-'69.

Sepiatone

Yes, this was the point where I picked up on The James Gang.

I saw them a bit later at a Cheap Thrills concert in Toronto which cost $3.50.  Included were Steppenwolf, Buddy Miles, Rita Coolidge, Ronnie Hawkins, Taj Mahal and Sly and Family Stone

c9526821-3473-40de-bb97-b148d9984d74_ful

• Like 1

Guitar player Bob Kulick died on May 28th from heart disease.He was the partner of actress Stella Stevens.In early 2015, she and partner Bob Kulick sold her longtime home in Beverly Hills. She is now in a long-term Alzheimer's care facility in Los Angeles and Kulick often visited her there until his death on May 28, 2020.He was mostly a session player with various performers like Kiss,Lou Reed.Meatloaf etc.

htwww.foxnews.com%2Fentertainment%2Fbob-kulick-kiss-guitarist-dead

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, nakano said:

Guitar player Bob Kulick died on May 28th from heart disease.He was the partner of actress Stella Stevens.In early 2015, she and partner Bob Kulick sold her longtime home in Beverly Hills. She is now in a long-term Alzheimer's care facility in Los Angeles and Kulick often visited her there until his death on May 28, 2020.He was mostly a session player with various performers like Kiss,Lou Reed.Meatloaf etc.

htwww.foxnews.com%2Fentertainment%2Fbob-kulick-kiss-guitarist-dead

Here is the source:

https://www.antimusic.com/news/20/October/03Bob_Kulicks_Cause_Of_Death_Revealed_By_His_Brother_Bruce.shtml

• Thanks 1
9 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

Yes, this was the point where I picked up on The James Gang.

I saw them a bit later at a Cheap Thrills concert in Toronto which cost $3.50.  Included were Steppenwolf, Buddy Miles, Rita Coolidge, Ronnie Hawkins, Taj Mahal and Sly and Family Stone

c9526821-3473-40de-bb97-b148d9984d74_ful

"Fat Leslie" West used to live in the Saxon Hall apartments with his parents just down the street from my house in  Rego Park Queens during late 1960s and early 1970s. The building had open walkways to the apartments and Leslie would set up there with his guitar and amplifier and give impromptu concerts! Everyone in the nabe knew him!

• Like 1
16 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

Sly & the Family Stone didn't even make the poster???

They were a surprise addition that closed the show and were about an hour late taking the stage - after a very long day in a hot smoke-filled arena.  And it wasn't all cigarette smoke let me tell you.

• Haha 1