Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Death Takes No Holiday -- The Obituary Thread

Just minutes before I read this, I was listening to versions of Tina Turner's "River Deep, Mountain High", which Spector produced.  The tepid response to it in the US was given as one reason for Spector to withdraw and start his downhill slide, though this evaluation of his life  kind of ignores his success a few years later with "Let It Be".

9 minutes ago, MikaelaArsenault said:

I remember watching home run 715.   Fortunately, this occurred on a Monday night, and it was carried nationally on NBC (ABC MNB didn't start until 1976).  Back in those days, there were only two nationally televised baseball games a week: one on Saturday afternoon, and one on Monday nights.  

• Thanks 1
13 minutes ago, txfilmfan said:

I remember watching home run 715.   Fortunately, this occurred on a Monday night, and it was carried nationally on NBC (ABC MNB didn't start until 1976).  Back in those days, there were only two nationally televised baseball games a week: one on Saturday afternoon, and one on Monday nights.  

Y'know, shortly after his home run record setting, I saw an old film of the show "Home Run Derby"  on where a very young Hank Aaron LOST!  I don't recall who he was hitting against, but it shows you can't make snap judgments.  ;)

Sepiatone

5 hours ago, MikaelaArsenault said:

A big loss.  He was co-choreographer of A Chorus Line.  He was involved in a laundry list of hits from the 60's to the 90's, from Promises, Promises (based on The Apartment) to Sunset Boulevard

A 2008 documentary about A Chorus Line, entitled Every Little Step, showcased the casting process of the 2006 Broadway revival of the musical, and also delved into the origins of the musical.  Avian was the director of the revival, and was involved in the creation of the original and is seen throughout the film. 

• Like 1
21 hours ago, MikaelaArsenault said:

I was sorry to see this. I was just reading about Welles's The Other Side of the Wind a few days ago and found Gregory Sierra was part of the cast. (It is currently streaming on Netflix and I'm planning on having a look in the next few days.)

I also remember him from The Laughing Policeman, a cop movie shot in San Fransisco in '73 or so, where he is featured in one segment playing a biker who deals in guns and dynamite. And of course his role as Chano on the best tv sitcom of all time probably, "Barney Miller." Wherever he turned up, he was always a standout.

This is one of those losses that feels like it took a part of my youth with it. 

• Like 2
On 1/23/2021 at 12:22 AM, MikaelaArsenault said:

I found him extremely funny in 'Soap' where he plays a Central-American revolutionary.

His partner in the band of revolutionaries was Joe Mantegna, playing 'Juan One' (of 3?). A type of joke that never gets old.

I still remember ". . .my brother Darrell, my other brother Darrell", from Newhart.

• Like 3

Swedish actress Gunnel Lindblom, a veteran of Ingmar Bergman's films like THE SEVENTH SEAL, WILD STRAWBERRIES, THE VIRGIN SPRING, THE SILENCE, WINTER LIGHT and SCENES FROM A MARRIAGE, and the Mai Zetterling films LOVING COUPLES and THE GIRLS, died on January 24, 2021. Her most recent appearance on-screen was in the 2009 Swedish-language version of THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO. She was 89.

• Thanks 2