Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Death Takes No Holiday -- The Obituary Thread

• 2 weeks later...

Broadway performer Alvin Ing has passed away at the age of 89.

https://currently.att.yahoo.com/att/cm/alvin-ing-dies-pioneering-asian-163750126.html

I had the opportunity to see Mr. Ing in PACIFIC OVERTURES. He was wonderful and had a very expressive voice. On this track, "Chrysanthemum Tea", he can be heard in the lead vocal.

~RIP, Mr. Ing

• Thanks 1
19 hours ago, sagebrush said:

Broadway performer Alvin Ing has passed away at the age of 89.

https://currently.att.yahoo.com/att/cm/alvin-ing-dies-pioneering-asian-163750126.html

I had the opportunity to see Mr. Ing in PACIFIC OVERTURES. He was wonderful and had a very expressive voice. On this track, "Chrysanthemum Tea", he can be heard in the lead vocal.

~RIP, Mr. Ing

So sorry to hear this. I did not see that production but enjoy the recording and particularly that song.

• Sad 2
1 hour ago, MikaelaArsenault said:

Markie Post Dies: Actress Known For ‘Night Court’, ‘The Fall Guy’ & More Was 70

My family was always interested in what projects Markie Post was appearing in. She was kind of a local girl, being from Palo Alto and us living in nearby San Jose.

~RIP, Ms. Post.

• Thanks 1
9 hours ago, MikaelaArsenault said:

Markie Post Dies: Actress Known For ‘Night Court’, ‘The Fall Guy’ & More Was 70

https://deadline.com/2021/08/markie-post-dead-night-court-actress-was-70-1234811055/

My Markie Post sighting:  In early 1992, when Bill Clinton was running in the Democratic primary my friends and I went to hear him speak. We didn't know much about him but thought we'd go see what he had to say.  It was a small venue.  Governor Clinton was late, he was losing his voice and his speech was short and forgettable.  However, one thing that stood out to us was that Markie Post was on stage with him, off to the side.  I assume they knew each other through Linda Bloodworth-Thomason who produced Post's show Hearts Afire (1992-95).  

• Like 2

Jane Withers, Former Child Star Who Later Portrayed Josephine the Plumber in TV Ads,

Jane Withers, a former child star known for her roles in “Bright Eyes” and “Ginger” and as the commercial character Josephine the Plumber, has died. She was 95.

Withers’ death was confirmed by her daughter, Kendall Errair. She died Saturday evening surrounded by her loved ones in Burbank, Calif. The cause of death was not disclosed.

“My mother was such a special lady,” Errair said in a statement. “She lit up a room with her laughter, but she especially radiated joy and thankfulness when talking about the career she so loved and how lucky she was.”

Born on April 12, 1926 in Atlanta, Ga., Withers was already a seasoned show business professional by the time she was six. Withers’ mother was so determined to have her make it as a star that she named her Jane so that “even with a long last name like Withers, it would fit on a marquee.”

The wish of Withers’ mother came true. After winning a local talent contest, Withers was cast on “Aunt Sally’s Kiddie Revue,” a Saturday morning children’s show, and was later given her own radio show at just 3 years old. Just before Withers’ sixth birthday, she traveled to Hollywood with her mother and began to book acting, voiceover and modeling gigs.

Withers’ big break came in 1934, when she was cast opposite Shirley Temple in 1934’s “Bright Eyes.” Withers played Joy Smythe, a spoiled, mean foil to Temple’s sweet character. Withers then signed a seven-year contract with Fox Film Corporation and scored her first starring role in “Ginger” (1935).

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/jane-withers-former-child-star-who-later-portrayed-josephine-the-plumber-in-tv-ads-dies-at-95/ar-AAN59mB?li=BBnb7Kz

• Thanks 3
  • Sad 1

I was about to credit Markie Post for nearly appearing topless in the original Fright Night, which I remember fondly from HBO in my adolescence, but I got hesitant I would be skewered on these boards for my stupidity if I was wrong, so I looked it up on imdb and found out it was Amanda Bearse instead. They should probably be posted in the Celebrity Lookalikes thread.