Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Death Takes No Holiday -- The Obituary Thread

• 2 weeks later...

I know that these are late entries but since both of these people haven't been mentioned yet…

Former Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld dies at 88

https://apnews.com/article/donald-rumsfeld-dead-ebd358021f476eef9f032b06f157edeb

Legendary Houston Astros pitcher J.R. Richard dies at age 71

https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/06/us/houston-astros-j-r-richard-dies/index.html

2 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

Also, a friend of mine just texted me that we lost Don Everly. Sorry to add to your workload!

You're not adding to my workload at all! Sorry for adding Don Everly again though.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

Also, a friend of mine just texted me that we lost Don Everly. Sorry to add to your workload!

I think he may be the last of our Rock and Roll pioneers.

The only person left that I can think of is "The Killer"--the indestructible Jerry Lee Lewis.

I believe we lost Little Richard last year.

The Everly Brothers had so many hits I don't think I can remember them all.

But "Poor Jenny" was my favorite.

April 8, 1931 - August 13, 2021 Dolores Joan Henriksen (originally Boucher, then Van Ness) has passed away at the age of ninety. Born in Farmington, Michigan, she was a longtime resident of Inglewood, and then San Juan Capistrano, California. Dee (as she was known to many) was an amazing dancer, singer, and actress who appeared in many movies including It's a Wonderful Life, and was a regular (with her musical act, "The Showtimers") on The Kate Smith Show. She then taught dance and drama at The Gladora Theatre Studio (owned by her mother, Gladys Boucher, and her aunt, Dorothe Wilbour), and directed their annual "June Show". She also was a choreographer for the Kentwood Players, taught ballroom dancing, and waitressed for many years at the LAX Hyatt Hotel. Later in life she enjoyed a third (fourth? fifth?) career as the Lunch Supervisor at Ambuehl Elementary. Obviously, never one to shy away from responsibility, Dee raised her two daughters as a single mom, putting them through private school, braces, and every extracurricular possible, with her incredible skill of making ends meet. Not your stereotypical "sweet little old lady", Dee loved showbusiness, Andres champagne, Jazzercise, her blue convertible Miata, the TCM Channel, the LA Times, happy hour at nice restaurants, her cat Penny, and her family. Dee is survived by her two daughters, her three grandchildren, and her cat. You will be missed Dee. Cheers to you!

photo_032829_7800832_1_Photo1_cropped_20210822.jpgx?w=500&h=456&option=3

3 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

I think he may be the last of our Rock and Roll pioneers.

The only person left that I can think of is "The Killer"--the indestructible Jerry Lee Lewis.

I believe we lost Little Richard last year.

The Everly Brothers had so many hits I don't think I can remember them all.

But "Poor Jenny" was my favorite.

Wanda Jackson, an often-overlooked rockabilly pioneer and early rock artist is still living.  She moved into country in the 60s when rock shifted away from its early roots.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
5 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

think he may be the last of our Rock and Roll pioneers.

Yeah, I think the entire elite group of the first generation of rock & rollers are gone now, Jerry Lee Lewis aside. 

I have three Everly Brothers songs in my iTunes collection - the early classics "Bye Bye Love" and "Wake Up, Little Susie" - but also a song from the era after their move to Warner Bros., "Crying in the Rain", a one-time only collaboration between Howard Greenfield (lyrics) and Carole King (music), a pretty fantastic song that they make memorable.

• Like 1
On 8/10/2021 at 6:17 PM, cinemaman said:

Alex  Cord   film  and  Airwolf   Star  died  at  his  home.  He  was  88.

he was the original Dylan Hunt in Gene Roddenberry's Genesis ll from 1972.

• Thanks 2
On 8/22/2021 at 9:56 PM, txfilmfan said:

Wanda Jackson, an often-overlooked rockabilly pioneer and early rock artist is still living.  She moved into country in the 60s when rock shifted away from its early roots.

Yes Wanda Jackson recorded many rockabilly early rock songs in the mid late 50's,they were all reissued in late 50's or 1960,fabulous material and singer,all these rock n roll records were hightly collectibles. Rockin with Wanda  and Theres a Party Going On were sought after lps

• Like 2