Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Death Takes No Holiday -- The Obituary Thread

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/nino-castelnuovo-star-umbrellas-cherbourg-011745917.html

Francesco “Nino” Castelnuovo, the Italian actor who starred in the Palme D’Or winner “The Umbrellas of Cherbourg” and the Best Picture Oscar winner “The English Patient,” died on Monday after a long battle with illness, his family announced. He was 84.

Born in Lombardy, Castelnuovo took on blue-collar jobs like house painting and mechanic work before traveling to Milan and enrolling in the Piccolo Teatro acting school. In 1957, he got his start as an actor as a mime on a children’s TV show and five years later, got his first taste of Hollywood via Walt Disney in “Escapade in Florence,” a mini-movie that aired on the “Disneyland” TV show starring Disney regulars Annette Funicello and Tommy Kirk.

But Castelnuovo’s big break came in 1964 with “The Umbrellas of Cherbourg,” a sung-through romantic drama directed by Jacques Demy. Castelnuovo starred alongside Catherine Deneuve as a teenage couple forced apart by the Algerian War. As time goes on, the two find love elsewhere, but are unexpectedly reunited years later.

The film became a cult classic and was named by Damien Chazelle as a major inspiration for his Oscar-winning classic “La La Land.”

After starring in a handful of Italian films in the 60s, Castelnuovo transitioned to TV and got steady work in Italian series and commercials as well as in theater. In 1996, he made a brief return to the global cinema stage in “The English Patient” as an archeologist in flashback scenes recounting the life of Count Almasy, a man dying of grievous burns in the final days of World War II and played by Ralph Fiennes.

Castelnuovo made his final film performance in 2016 in the sports film “The Legacy Run.”

• Thanks 3
George Wein

George Wein, one of the great impresarios of 20th century music who helped found the Newport jazz and folk festivals and set the template for gatherings everywhere from Woodstock to the south of France, has died at 95. Sept. 13, 2021, at 9:01 p.m.
  • Thanks 3

I saw him live in Boston 3-4 years ago. He was the same as he was on TV, hilarious. 

Interestingly, his opener was absolutely abysmal. That was not on purpose. You want your opener to be good. To warm up the crowd. This guy was totally forgettable and did nothing for Norm's act. Nevertheless, McDonald who must have known the guy bombed in front of him, came out and killed...right from the opening joke and kept it up for over an hour.  

I love stand up. I can go back to when I was a kid. I watched the Ed Sullivan Show just to watch the comedians. Norm Crosby, Jack Benny, Flip Wilson, Jose Jimenez, Jackie Mason...on and on.

Later it would be the Steve Martins and Albert Brook's. 

Up until the last few years I would never miss SNL.

Norm McDonald, Martin and Dennis Miller have always been at the top of my list. RIP Norm.

Fran Bennett, Actress and Longtime CalArts Voice and Acting Teacher, Dies at 84

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/fran-bennett-dead-actress-calarts-teacher-1235013482/

Joel Rapp, Sitcom Writer on ‘McHale’s Navy’ and ‘Gilligan’s Island,’ Dies at 87

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/joel-rapp-dead-mchales-navy-gilligans-island-1235015210/

• Thanks 1

Jane Powell has died at 92; the actress appeared in musical classics such as Royal Wedding and Seven Brides for Seven Brothers

Jane Powell has died at 92 … actress appeared in musical classics such as Royal Wedding

Actress Jane Powell, best known for appearing in the MGM musicals Royal Wedding and Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, has died at 92 from natural causes. Family friend and spokesperson Susan Granger confirmed to Deadline Thursday that Powell had passed away at her Wilton, Connecticut home. She had formerly lived in the home with late husband Dick Moore, an actor/publicist who passed away in 2015.

• Thanks 2