Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Death Takes No Holiday -- The Obituary Thread

On 10/7/2021 at 7:11 PM, Mr. Gorman said:

It's probably a computer voice you're hearing, MIDWESTAN. 

Yeah, many of those list-y YouTube videos sound to me as if they're being narrated by computer.

• Like 1

Stuntman Bob Herron dead at 97

Founding member and past president of the Stuntmen's Association, his stunt work spanned decades, including hundreds of movie and TV appearances such as: WINCHESTER '73 (1950), SPARTACUS (1960), DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER (1971), EARTHQUAKE (1974), L.A. CONFIDENTIAL (1997), "Star Trek: The Original Series" and "The Rockford Files."

8dc6a059cc483b62a110dc198119a195.png

Ernest Borgnine with his frequent stunt double Bob Herron on the set of CONVOY (1978)

• Thanks 3

Paul Salata, creator of the Mr. Irrelevant Award, honouring the last player chosen in the NFL draft, died yesterday. He would have been 95 today. 

Salata was a USC wide receiver in 1944, 1946 and 1947 (the war resulted in him missing the 1945 season), and he went on to play in the NFL for the San Francisco 49ers and Baltimore Colts in the late '40s and early '50s. He also spent two seasons playing in the CFL, for the Calgary Stampeders in 1952 and the Ottawa Roughriders in 1953. 

He appeared, usually uncredited, in nearly 20 movies throughout the 1950s. One of his few credited acting roles was as one of the Pittsburgh Pirates in the classic baseball fantasy ANGELS IN THE OUTFIELD (1951). His uncredited film appearances include SINGIN' IN THE RAIN (1952), THE TEN COMMANDMENTS (1956), and THE JOKER IS WILD (1957).

stalag-17a.jpg

Paul Salata (right) with Dick Erdman, William Holden and Robert Showley on the set of STALAG 17.

nfl-draft-mr-irrelevant-football.JPEG

Salata presents the Mr. Irrelevant Award at the 2013 NFL draft.

• Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, Barton_Keyes said:

stalag-17a.jpg

Paul Salata (right) with Dick Erdman, William Holden and Robert Showley on the set of STALAG 17.

Isn't that Neville Brand on the right?

Wow, even though fully vaccinated, which adds to my paranoia, although he was 84 and being in that age range was likely more susceptible. Well over a year and a half into this thing, I still wear my mask when I'm indoors in any public place, even though I live in an overwhelmingly Republican state where my governor seems to be absolutely determined to make sure every member of the voting population dies.

11 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

Wow, even though fully vaccinated, which adds to my paranoia, although he was 84 and being in that age range was likely more susceptible. Well over a year and a half into this thing, I still wear my mask when I'm indoors in any public place, even though I live in an overwhelmingly Republican state where my governor seems to be absolutely determined to make sure every member of the voting population dies.

He had multiple myeloma, which impairs the immune system response (both the disease and the treatment).   There have been studies showing that multiple myeloma patients don't produce COVID-19 antibodies in a majority of cases. 

He also had Parkinson's disease.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

I'm taking several medications for cholesterol and heart disease, and even though I'm fully vaccinated, I don't know how effective the vaccine is.  I'm guessing it's fine, because I've not been symptomatic with coronavirus.  I too wear a mask indoors if I'm in a public place, especially stores or buildings where it's posted that you do so upon entering the structure.  Most people where I live ignore the signs because it infringes on their 'free-dumbs'.  The town fathers where I live ought to consider adding to the sign coming into the community with the tag:  You're now entering the Stupid Zone of Illinois. ☹ 

On 10/17/2021 at 11:55 AM, Barton_Keyes said:

Paul Salata, creator of the Mr. Irrelevant Award, honouring the last player chosen in the NFL draft, died yesterday. He would have been 95 today. 

Salata was a USC wide receiver in 1944, 1946 and 1947 (the war resulted in him missing the 1945 season), and he went on to play in the NFL for the San Francisco 49ers and Baltimore Colts in the late '40s and early '50s. He also spent two seasons playing in the CFL, for the Calgary Stampeders in 1952 and the Ottawa Roughriders in 1953. 

He appeared, usually uncredited, in nearly 20 movies throughout the 1950s. One of his few credited acting roles was as one of the Pittsburgh Pirates in the classic baseball fantasy ANGELS IN THE OUTFIELD (1951). His uncredited film appearances include SINGIN' IN THE RAIN (1952), THE TEN COMMANDMENTS (1956), and THE JOKER IS WILD (1957).

stalag-17a.jpg

nfl-draft-mr-irrelevant-football.JPEG

Salata presents the Mr. Irrelevant Award at the 2013 NFL draft.

Another receiver:

https://news.yahoo.com/pat-studstill-nfl-player-dukes-144500913.html?fr=sycsrp_catchall

17 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

Live in a similar state with an equally determined governor. I don’t get these guys. There is something that could potentially save your life, but no, now it’s a political issue.  Unbelievable. 
The best book I can recommend on the subject of pandemics and how they occur and progress would be John Berry’s The Great Influenza. It’s a fascinating read. I read it 10 years ago, and I’m very thankful that did. If not, I might have been susceptible to some of the utter hogwash that’s circulating now. Read it, it’s a long slog, but it’s meticulously research and has nothing whatsoever to do with any partisan shenanigans or political special interest. 
https://www.amazon.com/Great-Influenza-Deadliest-Pandemic-History-ebook/dp/B000OCXFWE/ref=tmm_kin_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1634672930&sr=8-1

• Thanks 1

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-58970326

Leslie Bricusse, songwriter behind the lyrics to classic songs like "Candyman" and "Pure Imagination" from WILLY WONKA AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY, and the James Bond songs "Goldfinger" (co-written with Anthony Newley) and "You Only Live Twice," died on October 19, 2021. He won the Oscar for Best Original Song twice, for "Talk to the Animals" from DOCTOR DOLITTLE (1967) and the title song from VICTOR/VICTORIA (1982), when he shared the award with composer Henry Mancini. Bricusse was 90.

_121141097_bricusseoscarscapture.jpg

Cher, Henry Mancini, Leslie Bricusse and Placido Domingo at the Oscars on April 11, 1983

• Thanks 2
9 hours ago, txfilmfan said:

He had multiple myeloma, which impairs the immune system response (both the disease and the treatment).   There have been studies showing that multiple myeloma patients don't produce COVID-19 antibodies in a majority of cases. 

He also had Parkinson's disease

Heard all that on the radio this morning while driving to work. He was unfortunately in a doubly vulnerable position, although vaccinated, in being both elderly and having underlying conditons.

1 hour ago, Hibi said:

Sorry to hear this. Is anyone left from the show besides Opie and Ellie?

Some of the kids that were in a few episodes are still around: Richard Keith (the last I Love Lucy regular still alive),  Ron's brother Clint Howard, and likely others.

Of the adults, the actress who played Charlene Darling is still alive : Maggie Peterson.  She originally auditioned for the role that went to Elinor Donahue.   She was in 6 episodes of the show, 5 as Charlene Darling.  Some members of The Dillards (who were the musicians of the Darling family) are still alive.

A few guests are still with us: Barbara Eden, Ronnie Schell, Jack Nicholson, Howard Hesseman, Sue Ane Langdon, Elaine Joyce.   I'm sure there are others, but that's all I can remember.

On 10/19/2021 at 7:09 PM, sewhite2000 said:

"Pure Imagination", particularly as performed by Gene Wilder, almost always gives me goosebumps.

I was desperately trying to find this post on the seperate thread about Bricusse, worrying it had been deleted, when I remembered it was actually on this thread.