Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Death Takes No Holiday -- The Obituary Thread

Richard Kimble

5 minutes ago, SweetSue said:

I was just about to post about this here, thank you Peebs. I am devastated💔 

I know, time marches on but it's a bummer.  One of my favorite songs he wrote was Different Drum which the Stone Poneys (with a young Linda Ronstadt) covered.

• Like 1

On 12/11/2021 at 7:47 PM, MikaelaArsenault said:

Cara Williams, Star of ‘The Defiant Ones’ and ‘Pete and Gladys,’ Dies at 96

https://variety.com/2021/film/news/cara-williams-dead-oscar-nominee-golden-age-hollywood-was-96-1235131368/

Apologies for this word. I'm Not Sure it'll even post. But im typing it and pushing "enter" anyway.

****. (Apologies.)

Her.. Passing. Along with Rust and Arlene Dahl; have Hit Especially Viscious for this odd typist.

Joan Didion, famed American essayist and novelist, has died

https://www.cnn.com/style/article/joan-didion-death-obituary/index.html

Acclaimed American writer Joan Didion, an essayist and novelist who rose to prominence in the 1960s, has died at age 87, her publisher confirmed to CNN on Thursday.

"We are deeply saddened to report that Joan Didion died earlier this morning at her home in New York due to complications from Parkinson's disease," said Paul Bogaards, a publicity executive at A.A. Knopf, in a statement.

While rising through the ranks at the fashion magazine, Didion met and married John Gregory Dunne, a journalist at Time with whom she'd collaborate on screenplays including "The Panic in Needle Park," known for Al Pacino's breakthrough performance, and the 1976 version of "A Star is Born," starring Barbra Streisand and Kris Kristofferson.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, MikaelaArsenault said:

Jean-Marc Vallée Has Died; Director Of ‘Dallas Buyers Club,’ ‘Big Little Lies’ & ‘Sharp Objects’ Was 58

https://deadline.com/2021/12/jean-marc-vallee-dies-58-year-old-director-dallas-buyers-club-big-little-lies-sharp-objects-1234901961/

Saw This some eight or so hours ago. But this just now "Clicked".

Probably "Wild", is my Favourite Film of his. One of my favourite, what i would call and refer to as "Finding Oneself Film(s)".

Couple other(s) of these favourites of mine are (no particular order) Tracks, Two Lovers & A Bear, Eye On Juliet, American Honey, White Bird In A Blizzard, the Survivalist.     If Yourself, or Anyone; Is Interested.

8 minutes ago, MikaelaArsenault said:

John Madden, legendary Hall of Fame coach, dies at age 85

https://www.nfl.com/news/john-madden-legendary-hall-of-fame-coach-dies-at-age-85

I thought of the humanity displayed by John Madden in contrast to the win at-all-cost image of the Bill Belichicks...  

It's been said that John Madden was the only visitor Darryl Stingley had shortly following the grim violence of the Jack "The Assassin" Tatum incident, and it's been suggested that the Stingley/Tatum affair impacted Madden's decision to call it a proverbial day following that 1978 season.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, NoShear said:

Re: "It's been said that John Madden was the only visitor Darryl Stingley had shortly following the grim violence of the Jack "The Assassin" Tatum incident, and it's been suggested that the Stingley/Tatum affair impacted Madden's decision to call it a proverbial day following that 1978 season."

Though the movie adaptation of Peter Gent's North Dallas Forty (1973) suited up with the same title, the on-field violence and off-field craziness depicted in the '79 film was straight out of the Oakland Raiders playbook.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Mr. Gorman said:

Re: "Except wasn't the G.D. SPRADLIN "Head Coach" character based more or less on Tom Landry in NORTH DALLAS FORTY?   I don't see G.D. SPRADLIN's character being like John Madden."

I know there were exceptions - I couldn't remember, Mr. Gorman, but I think you once previously pointed this out...

It was something of a disservice on my part to follow John Madden up with North Dallas Forty because, yes, he was unlike the G.D. Spradlin character. I mentioned the 1979 movie to give some film context to the Oakland Raiders reputation of the 1970s.