Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Death Takes No Holiday -- The Obituary Thread

Richard Kimble

NORTH DALLAS FORTY (both the book and screenplay) were written by Pete Gent. He never played college football but played basketball at Michigan State. Nevertheless, he was offered a tryout by the Dallas Cowboys and made the team. He became good friends with Cowboy QB and future Monday Night Football mainstay, Don Meredith. His lead characters in NDF were based on himself and Meredith's. Played by Mac Davis and Nick Nolte respectively. 

I think the Spradlin character was more of a composite of the head coaching genre of the era. All head coaches were maniacs to a certain extent. Lombardi, Hank Schram, Landry, Madden, Van Brocklin. Professional football is the most dehumanizing sport in existence. You have to be a bit off to both play it and coach it.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, MikaelaArsenault said:

Harvey Evans, Actor in Original Broadway Shows ‘West Side Story,’ ‘Hello Dolly!’ and More, Dies at 80

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/general-news/harvey-evans-dead-actor-broadway-west-side-story-hello-dolly-1235067487/

He was a Jet gang member in the 1961 film, and has a cameo in the 2021 version...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

2013-broadway-cares-flea-market-held-in-

I saw Harvey and these West Side Story dancers on a PBS theater review show a few years ago. They had written a book about dancing in the movie. So the host ask them if they could still do the dances, and Harvey said we can still mark them--even if we can't do it full out.

He had a very likable personality.

The fact that he died Christmas Eve reminded me of a Christmas Eve more than 30 years ago. Tucker Smith, who played Ice and led that terrific Jets performance of "Cool", died of cancer on Christmas Eve in 1988. He too had been in the original Broadway cast. 

• Like 2

Joan Copeland, Stage Actress and Sister of Arthur Miller, Dies at 99

https://extratv.com/2022/01/04/joan-copeland-stage-actress-and-sister-of-arthur-miller-dies-at-99/

Jay Wolpert, ‘Price Is Right’ Producer Turned ‘Pirates of the Caribbean’ Screenwriter, Dies at 79

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/jay-wolpert-dead-price-is-right-pirates-of-the-caribbean-1235069382/

• Thanks 1

In regards to the death TOM T. HALL  I reckon it's tough when you're sitting around your home alone in poor health (his wife Dixie died in 2015) with nothing to do.  Your mind can wander into some very ugly places.  I can only say I wish he had been happier prior to his passing.  

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Mr. Gorman said:

In regards to the death TOM T. HALL  I reckon it's tough when you're sitting around your home alone in poor health (his wife Dixie died in 2015) with nothing to do.  Your mind can wander into some very ugly places.  I can only say I wish he had been happier prior to his passing.  

I was exactly thinking the same thing Dixie died of a brain tumor at 80, too much pain and loneliness RIP

• Like 2

On 1/4/2022 at 2:12 PM, MikaelaArsenault said:

Joan Copeland, Stage Actress and Sister of Arthur Miller, Dies at 99

https://extratv.com/2022/01/04/joan-copeland-stage-actress-and-sister-of-arthur-miller-dies-at-99/

I can't remember a time when she wasn't  on my TV screen from from Patty's *itchy MIL on Search for Tomorrow to one of Law and Order's more oft seen judges.  That was when I learned she was Arthur Miller's sister.  Most of the roles I saw her in were less than likable characters  but she played them so well.  She really knew her craft.     

♠ SHAMELESS MUSICAL PLUG ♠

The only reason I know the Bergman/Bergman/Legrand song "The Summer Knows" is because I heard Nancy LaMott sing it many moons ago.  Nancy LaMott would have turned 70 on Dec. 30, 2021 . . . but she died far too young at 43 of cancer on Dec. 13, 1995.   She could carry a tune!