Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Death Takes No Holiday -- The Obituary Thread

Richard Kimble

Beegie Adair, jazz musician, passes away at 84

https://wkuherald.com/63307/news/beegie-adair-jazz-musician-and-distinguished-wku-alumna-passes-away-at-84/

During her musical career that spanned over 6 decades, Adair appeared on over 100 albums, contributing to the works of artists such as Dolly Parton, Henry Mancini, Chet Atkins, Peggy Lee, Ray Stevens and many more.

• Thanks 1

On 1/12/2022 at 11:44 PM, Princess of Tap said:

I recall that they went on tour with the Beatles in '65. 

But they were one of those All-American early 60's rock recording artists who really were permanently displaced by the Brit invasion.

Although Phil Spector journeyed on without them having successfully leeched on to the Righteous Brothers and Ike & Tina Turner.

Ronnie's late sister Estelle also a member of the group, dated George Harrison and Johnny Mathis.  According to reports, Jimi Hendrix, John Lennon, and Keith Richards all crushed on Ronnie.   Ronnie also stated the Stones gave Nedra, her cousin a birthday cake since they were touring.  She was sad, she could not celebrate it with her family.  That was a sweet gesture.  Keith presented them  with their award when they were inducted into the Rock n Roll Hall of  Fame.    That is sad Phil gave them a raw deal.  Some feel it pushed Estelle over the edge,and she developed mental health issues after the group broke up.  I am glad Ronnie got her life together after the divorce.  Rumor has it, a Ronnettes  biopic is in the works.  I hope so.  I read Ronnie's memoir years ago.

Peter Robbins, voice of Charlie Brown, is found dead from suicide aged 65: Troubled voice actor and former child star served five years in prison before turning his life around 

Voice of Charlie Brown, Peter Robbins, is found dead from suicide aged 65

Peter Robbins, 65, who voiced Charlie Brown throughout the 60s, took his own life last week, his family said on Tuesday. Robbins started his career as a child actor at nine years old voicing Charlie Brown in 1963 and gained national fame for the character, who appeared in A Charlie Brown Christmas and It's A Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown.' The showed pulled in millions of viewers every year and became a national treasure, not only to fans, but the actor himself, who has a tattoo of the famous character and his trusty sidekick Snoopy. Robbins, who suffered from bipolar disorder, was sentenced to five years in prison in 2015 for making criminal threats to several people. The star, who also appeared on the Munsters, managed to turn his life around and began promoting getting 'professional help' for mental health issues and was treated for addictions to drugs, alcohol and sex. 'I came out of prison and I'm a better person for it,' Robbins said in 2019. 'I'm much more humble, grateful and thankful that I lived through the experience.'

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 3

2 hours ago, MikaelaArsenault said:

Carleton Carpenter, MGM and Broadway Actor Who Starred Alongside Debbie Reynolds, Dies at 95

https://variety.com/2022/film/people-news/carelton-carpenter-dead-father-of-the-bride-1235167965/

Carleton Carpenter, Debbie Reynolds’ Co-Star in ‘Two Weeks With Love,’ Dies at 95

Their recording of "Aba Daba Honeymoon" in the MGM musical proved to be a big hit, and he also starred on Broadway and opposite a lion in 'Fearless Fagan. ..........

".......After starring on Broadway opposite the likes of Angela Lansbury, Ray Bolger and Hermione Gingold, the lanky Carpenter was signed by MGM, which quickly assigned him to Summer Stock (1950), starring Gene Kelly and Judy Garland.

Garland caused so many delays and Carpenter was able to squeeze in work in Father of the Bride (1950), playing one of Elizabeth Taylor’s suitors, and Three Little Words (1950), in which he was first paired with Reynolds..........

The 6-foot-3 Carpenter then starred as Harley “Tumbleweeds” Williams in Sky Full of Moon opposite Jan Sterling — playwright William Inge claimed that movie was his inspiration for Bus Stop — and as the real-life soldier who brought his pet lion into the Army with him in Stanley Donen‘s Fearless Fagan, both released in 1952.

Carpenter also appeared with Burt Lancaster in Vengeance Valley (1951), with Dorothy Gish in Robert Siodmak’s The Whistle at Eaton Falls (1951), with Richard Widmark in Richard Brooks’ Take the High Ground! (1953) and with James Garner in Up Periscope (1959). .......

:(

• Thanks 1