Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Death Takes No Holiday -- The Obituary Thread

Richard Kimble

Wow, if not mentioned by anybody else yet, as a comic book geek, I have to mention the death of Neal Adams, comic book artist who brought  shockingly realstic, pseudo-3D imagery to the likes of a revival of THE Batman in the late '60s and early '70s. i capitalize the adjective because it was placed in front of the character's name during Adams' tenure in homage to the way he was described in his original incarnation in the late '30s and has hung around ever since when creators want to indicate they mean business with the character. I mention this primarily because of a millennial sports talk show host named Jake Kemp here in Dallas who repeatedly mocked the arrival of the new movie The Batman with  lot of caustic millennial contempt about why they had to keep sticking THE in front of th character's name spitting on the use of the word "the" as ludicrous and mock-worthy, having zero understanding of the history of the insertion of the article. Adams also drew the Green Lantern-Green Arrow series frequently credited with launching the so-called Bronze Age of comics His most frequent collaborater in those days was writer Denny O'Neil, who died  few years ago. Though best known or his work with DC characters (Deadman was another lauded Adams series), he also drew the most celebrated run of X-Men in Marvel history prior to the '70s reboot starring Wolverine, which was written by Roy Thomas. Oh, yeah, and the Kree-Skrull war run of episodes in the Avengers, also written by Thomas, that opened up the superhero team to comsic concepts, for which the insanely lauded run of present-day Avengers movies essentilly owe everything. A lot of his stuff had been reprinted in the last 10 or 20 years, to which he dogmtically insisted in every instance on his adding modern dimensional artistic techniques to, which I personlly found really bizarrely off-putting and untrue to the original spirit of the work, but it clearly was of utmost importance to him. Adams was 80.

• Thanks 2

On 4/29/2022 at 12:48 AM, cinemaman said:

Valora  Noland  star  of  Star  Trek  and  The  War  Wagon  dies  at  80

I thought she was hot. I read she got turned off to acting because she did not like her star trek episode.

Valora Noland | Women Of Trek

• Like 1

I remember JAMES OLSON quite well.  He retired from acting circa 1991 or so.  I don't recall seeing him in anything after the early '90s . . . but he'd been busy for years prior.