Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

If TCM could add extra channels what would they be?

I know that is almost impossible now. The cable companies have all but run out of bandwidth and Sattellite companies now need more space to carry local channels and HDTV networks take up multiple feeds! But, if you had unlimited bandwidth, what networks would you form?

Turner owns countless thousands of films and only a limited percentage is shown each year. So, if I could divide it up.

1. The Salient network

This would be devoted to salient films before the sound era. Fund raisers and commericals ( in between and NOT during ) would be used to raise money to save and restore these films.

2. TCM HDTV

This would have movies broadcast in 1080i HDTV format for viewing on HDTV's. Some of these movies would look great on a 65 inch screen!

3. TCM shorts

Such films as the little Racals and the tons of short films and subjects that were made through the 1950s. Most of these never see the light of day.

4. One network devolted to the 1930s, 40s, 50s, 60's and after 1970. Then, there would NEVER be a film that you did not want to see on!

5. Overseas TCM

Films from England, France, Spain, ect from around the world offered with subtitles.

That, would just about cover everyone!

Hmmm...How about adding the following:

1) Pre-Code Channel--featuring all the movies from EVERY studio from 1929 - 1934.

2) Thirtysomething -- Not your age, but movies, shorts, cartoons, newsreels, serials, trailers all from the 1930's.

Alix - I have to agree with you. I am a 30's movies nut. It is my favorite era. How about a channel for each decade? There were enough movies made that you could probably cover a channel for each one. But if we had all of these classic movie channels, it would be too hard to decide which one to watch!

Many rave about the "Western Channel" but it shows very few "B" westerns.So I propose a Western Channel with only the good ole white hats from the 30's into the late 40's. You know, Hoot Gibson, Bob Steele, Buck Jones, Tim McCoy, Johnny Mack Brown, etc,etc Thanks.

Bob,

I'm glad to see another fan of the "B" western.I orginated "Silver Screen Cowboys" in another section[general discussions].Check it out! There are some very entertaining westerns,especially some from Republic.Hope to see more of your comments!

Dear TCM: please consider creating a channel just for us B-Movie, Movie Serials, Horror/Fantasy addicts. I would love to see the entire series of Tarzan, Boston ****, Charlie Chan, Bomba the Jungle Boy, Ma and Pa Kettle, etc. We want the entire Republic Pictures backlog of all those super-duper movie serials--like Adventures of Captain Marvel, G-Men versus the Black Dragon (the greatest of them all), all the great Judy Canova hillbilly comedies; all the Universal horror cataloge; all Universal's Deanna Durbin musicals. Oh, come on Mr. Ted, give it to us like right now! We'll promise to send you love songs, poetry and cyber-kisses galore! MMMMMMM-waaaaa (that was a big cyber-kiss).

> 1. The Salient network

> This would be devoted to salient films before the

> he sound era. Fund raisers and commericals ( in

> between and NOT during ) would be used to raise money

> to save and restore these films.

Do you mean "Silent"? I so I agree.

Pattypancake, before it got as it is now, bad, AMC did just exactly what you are asking, complete with the serials, though not necessarily the ones you mention, but they did have a Deanna Durban festival with many of her movies.

I don't think that TCM will give us seperate channels for these B movies and the serials but I think it is a great idea to include them as part of their normal line up, say on Saturday mornings.