Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

October 2015 on TCM: Women in Film

Barton_Keyes

Beginning this October and continuing each October for the next three years, TCM will be presenting a new series of programming lamenting the lack of gender equity in Hollywood and celebrating the achievements of female filmmakers. This series will be presented in conjunction with Women in Film.

For more on this new programming initiative, visit http://deadline.com/2015/06/turner-classic-movies-tcm-gender-inequality-film-women-in-film-1201445747/.

More information on Women in Film is available at the organization's website, http://www.wif.org.

• Like 6

Barton you do come up with the scoops!

I hope that they take the opportunity to show some of the marvellous indie films that women have been making in the past twenty years.  There are dozens of titles that received critical acclaim but very little subsequent exposure on television.

• Like 2

Beginning this October and continuing each October for the next three years, TCM will be presenting a new series of programming lamenting the lack of gender equity in Hollywood and celebrating the achievements of female filmmakers. This series will be presented in conjunction with Women in Film.

For more on this new programming initiative, visit http://deadline.com/2015/06/turner-classic-movies-tcm-gender-inequality-film-women-in-film-1201445747/.

More information on Women in Film is available at the organization's website, http://www.wif.org.

This sounds terrific, and hopefully it won't be topheavy with the same old films we've seen a hundred times over, but rather will feature lots of newer works that TCM has never had before.  I'm sure there'll be some snoozers and duds in the mix, but better to try and fail than never to try at all. :)

• Like 1

This sounds terrific, and hopefully it won't be topheavy with the same old films we've seen a hundred times over, but rather will feature lots of newer works that TCM has never had before.  I'm sure there'll be some snoozers and duds in the mix, but better to try and fail than never to try at all. :)

Yeah, a big IF. Hope its not the usual suspects recycled under another umbrella........

Fine idea :)

Thanks, Barton....

“The issue of gender inequality in the film industry is both timely and immensely important to shine a light on,” said TCM’s general manager Jennifer Dorian. “We’re thrilled to partner with such a well-respected organization as Women in Film in order to address and promote the empowerment of women in our industry.”

As I mentioned previously if one wanted to look at female directors and highlight films that have garnered critical acclaim but do not get the subsequent push on television then I think it best to look to films made in the last 30 years.

Here are some I would like to see from just 1990 through 1995:

American Dream (1990) Barbara Kopple

Iron & Silk (1990) Shirley Sun

Daughters of the Dust (1991) Julie Dash

Paradise (1991) Agnes Donogheux

The Man Without a World (1992) Eleanor Antin

The Panama Deception (1992) Barbar Trent *good luck having a major tv company show this Oscar                          winning documentary

The Ballad of Little Jo (1993) Maggie Greenwald

Household Saints (1993) Nancy Savoca

Lost In Yonkers (1993) Martha Coolidge

When Pigs Fly (1993) Sarah Driver

Angie (1994) Martha Coolidge

Mi Vida Loca: My Crazy Life (1994) Allison Anders

River of Grass (1994) Kelly Riechardt

Tollbooth (1994) Salome Breziner

Party Girl (1995) Daisy von Scherler

The Perez Family (1995) Mira Nair

Unstrung Heroes (1995) Diane Keaton

• Like 3

I expect TCM to air movies directed by Dorothy Arzner and Ida Lupino, but probably not any of the four 1980s movies directed by JACKIE KONG.  

I've seen 3 of the 4 movies she directed:

BEING, The (1983) Filmed in 1980 as "Easter Sunday". 

NIGHT PATROL (1984) 

BLOOD DINER (1987) (Unrated)

I've not seen 'THE UNDERACHIEVERS" . . . yet.

As this series is planned to recur every October for three years, I expect that this will be an extensive examination of the contribution of women filmmakers, spanning from the pioneers like Lois Weber, Frances Marion and Dorothy Arzner right up to the modernity of Jane Campion, Sophia Coppola and Kathryn Bigelow

• Like 1

Here are a few more American films directed by women in case any of the programmers should be dropping in to read this thread.

From 1996 to 1999

Grace of My Heart (1996) Allison Anders starring Illeana Douglas

The Line King: The Al Hirschfield Story (1996) Susan Warms Dryfoos

The Mirror Has Two Faces (1996) Barbra Streisand starring Lauren Bacall

The Preacher's Wife (1996) Penny Marshall

A Very Brady Sequel (1996) Arlene Sanford

All I Wanna Do (1998) Sarah Kernochan

Colors Straight Up (1998) Michele Ohayon

Madeline (1998) Daisy von Sherler Meyer

Polish Wedding (1998) Theresa Connelly

Ravenous (1998) Antonia Bird

Shadrack (1998) Susanna Styron

Whatever (1998) Susan Skoog

Wild Man Blues (1998) Barbara Kopple

The Third Miracle (1999) Agnieszka Holland

All of these films have received at least some good reviews.  I don't think it would break the bank to get the rights to screen them on television.  And it would be nice to support these 'living' filmmakers, some of whom are probably struggling to get their next films made.

There are many films like this to be explored.  It just takes a little imagination.

• Like 1

October should be devoted to horror films.

There are enough days in every month for some variety.    One or two days a week during October for horror films is enough for me, especially since TCM doesn't show many of the Universal horror classis.  

Well, another thing that should be mentioned is horror airs on TCM year round. If it was only relegated to October, then some decent films in this genre would receive scant airplay. 

As this series is planned to recur every October for three years, I expect that this will be an extensive examination of the contribution of women filmmakers, spanning from the pioneers like Lois Weber, Frances Marion and Dorothy Arzner right up to the modernity of Jane Campion, Sophia Coppola and Kathryn Bigelow

I think so, too. The initial year in the series will probably feature someone like Alice Guy Blache. She was the first female director. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alice_Guy-Blach%C3%A9

Grace of My Heart (1996) Allison Anders starring Illeana Douglas

The Line King: The Al Hirschfield Story (1996) Susan Warms Dryfoos

I've seen both of those and liked them both very much.

GRACE OF MY HEART is loosely based on Carole King and the Brill Building hit phenomenon. I always enjoy Illeana Douglas.

The LINE KING is a laugh riot! The images of Hirschfeld driving his caddy in NYC is burned in my brain!

A Very Brady Sequel (1996) Arlene Sanford

You've GOT to be kidding.

I've never seen A Very Brady Sequel.  In fact, other than a few seconds when flipping the dial I have never seen the Brady Bunch show either.

The movie, A Very Brady Sequel is supposed to be a send up of their own show.

I can understand Robert Reed's embarrassment over his participation in the show. I was the right age when it first aired and I even thought it was awful. It was just as insipid as Gilligan's Island-like a bunch of Laurels with no Hardys. Any 10th grader could have written the episodes which seemed to have been purposely acted in a stilted way.

How could you parody something that was a parody in the first place?

I would like to see some early Dorothy Arzner that hasn't been shown--there are no TCM articles or reviews.

Sarah and Son (1930)--early Ruth Chatterton piece.

Merrily We Go to He** (1932)--Early Cary Grant, Sylvia Sidney, & Fredric March

Nana (1934)--based on a Tolstoy(?) novel.  Was Anna Sten, Samuel Goldwyns' choice as "The New Garbo" Really as bad as contemporary reviewers said?  I'd like the chance to see for myself.  Co-starring Lionel Atwill.

• Like 2

Suggestion:

The Devil's Plaything (1927) Dir: Olga Preobrazhenskaya, B&W, 67 minutes
Quiet Flows the Don (1930) Dir: Olga Preobrazhenskaya, B&W, 91 minutes
Paths of Enemies (1935) Dir: Olga Preobrazhenskaya, B&W, 72 minutes

Cinderella (1947) Dir:  Nadezhda Kosheverova, B&W, 80 minutes
Tiger Girl (1954) Dir:  Nadezhda Kosheverova, B&W, 100 minutes
Be Careful, Grandma (1961) Dir:  Nadezhda Kosheverova, Color, 86 minutes

Yegor Bulychov (1953) Dir: Yuliya Solntseva, B&W, 150 minutes 
The Story of the Flaming Years (1961) Dir: Yuliya Solntseva, Color,  91 minutes

Brief Encounters (1968) Dir: Kira Muratova, B&W, 95 minutes
  • Like 1

I would like to see some early Dorothy Arzner that hasn't been shown--there are no TCM articles or reviews.

Sarah and Son (1930)--early Ruth Chatterton piece.

Merrily We Go to He** (1932)--Early Cary Grant, Sylvia Sidney, & Fredric March

Nana (1934)--based on a Tolstoy(?) novel.  Was Anna Sten, Samuel Goldwyns' choice as "The New Garbo" Really as bad as contemporary reviewers said?  I'd like the chance to see for myself.  Co-starring Lionel Atwill.

NANA has aired on TCM (not long ago in fact). The other two are Paramount talkies and harder to come by.

• Like 1

Cool list, SansFin! I was thinking this is what it might take to get something by Leni Riefenstahl shown on TCM. Unfortunately it appears that this is going to be a celebration of gender inequity in Hollywood, or something of the sort. I guess other countries which have always been more progressive in this regard don't warrant the recognition?

Cluck, cluck, cluck...

TikiSoo Posted Yesterday, 06:24 AM

The Line King: The Al Hirschfeld Story (1996) Susan Warms Dryfoos

The LINE KING is a laugh riot! The images of Hirschfeld driving his caddy in NYC is burned in my brain!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Never heard of it before, but since this is 2015, here it is already on YouTube:

[...]

My favorite Hirschfeld book is a Prohibition era tome called Manhattan Oases, New York's 1932 Speak-Easies, which has Hirschfeld's sketches of his favorite watering holes.  The best one has a picture of a cherubic-looking baby above a bar, relieving himself in a river, with a cautionary note underneath that reads "NEVER DRINK WATER".

71pqec5%2BPKL._SL500_SY344_BO1,204,203,2

Edited by TCMModerator1
Removed full video

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings