Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Mac_the_Nice

George Gobel & Diana Dors???

Omigod. Had I known about *that* marriage back in the mid-1950s, I would have gone all mystical thinking like, nothing is impossible. We will soon be visited by Men from Mars for sure! Okay, okay, Mickey Rooney and Ava Gardner, but . . .

Make no mistake, George Gobel was a big favorite in our neighborhood such a funny fellow as he was, so subtle in his deadpan humor, but he was such a wee little guy, certainly no Wally Cox/Mr. Peepers, but . . .

Diana Dors! Really? The U.K's  100 megaton bombshell version of Mamie Van Doren?  Yes. and she is (or was) really brushing her long, lovely platinum blonde locks in THAT guy's bedroom? No Rock Hudson, he? Yes! . And it just kinda restores your faith in blonde bombshells, and women generally, know what I mean?

Diana_Dors_2864117k.jpg

• Like 1

Whoops almost didn't give the details. It's TONIGHT. "I Married a Woman". 12:15 EDT. Title just sort of leaves you sitting there wondering what the heck happened to the ". . . from Outer Space" part? Uh-Huh. Okay. But NOT so strange in this day since about 7 or 8 years ago when we can veritably expect to see some handsome Jon Hamm looking leading man standing under such a title as this: "I Married my Porche Mechanic."  Nobody would bat an eye.

Yep, it's GEORGE and DIANA.  She would later marry Richard Dawson.  I think "I Married A Woman" was filmed in 1956, but not released until 1958.  I've seen it a couple times.  It's not so bad.  And besides, George Gobel didn't star in many movies.  With that in mind, don't forget about GEORGE and MITZI (Gaynor) in 1956's "The Birds and the Bees". 

I think "I Married A Woman" was filmed in 1956, but not released until 1958.  I've seen it a couple times.  It's not so bad.  

Yes, I Married a Woman was filmed during RKOs' last years.  It's inoffensive, provokes smiles, not laughs--IMO.  George Gobel put me to sleep--Diana Dors kept everything covered until after I was asleep--assuming she ever got out of that coat.

Totally missed Bait (1954)--Will have to wait until it's shown again.

Yes, I Married a Woman was filmed during RKOs' last years.  It's inoffensive, provokes smiles, not laughs--IMO.  George Gobel put me to sleep--Diana Dors kept everything covered until after I was asleep--assuming she ever got out of that coat.

i noticed this on the sched. WIsh I had more room on the DVR to record it, but I wanted to record Bait and there wasnt enough for both. Hopefully it'll be on again. I had to delete something just to get Bait on there......:(

Omigod. Had I known about *that* marriage back in the mid-1950s, I would have gone all mystical thinking like, nothing is impossible. We will soon be visited by Men from Mars for sure! Okay, okay, Mickey Rooney and Ava Gardner, but . . .

Make no mistake, George Gobel was a big favorite in our neighborhood such a funny fellow as he was, so subtle in his deadpan humor, but he was such a wee little guy, certainly no Wally Cox/Mr. Peepers, but . . .

Diana Dors! Really? The U.K's  100 megaton bombshell version of Mamie Van Doren?  Yes. and she is (or was) really brushing her long, lovely platinum blonde locks in THAT guy's bedroom? No Rock Hudson, he? Yes! . And it just kinda restores your faith in blonde bombshells, and women generally, know what I mean?

Diana_Dors_2864117k.jpg

I believe Peggy King was the singer on Gobel's TV show. She is now in her '70s or '80s, and lives in my condo. Is that a brush with greatness?

I believe Peggy King was the singer on Gobel's TV show. She is now in her '70s or '80s, and lives in my condo. Is that a brush with greatness?

Is this the same.Peggy King who made her first movie when Linda.Darnell.made her last.movie for several years in 1957's ZERO HOUR? She was a looker but wasn't the most convincing with her dialogue. Hope she was a better singer.

PS......yes, I would post that on the Brush With Greatness thread.

Possibly. How great was Peggy? I dont remember her. Too little, I guess. (meaning I was too little)

I seem to remember Gobel frequently introducing her as "pretty perky Peggy King". That was about 58 years ago. Am I right or am I just senile?

I seem to remember Gobel frequently introducing her as "pretty perky Peggy King". That was about 58 years ago. Am I right or am I just senile?

You are both.  :)........She even gives free performances in my condo occasionally.

John Wayne was in this film too.

Yes, the first time I watched it on TCM was when they aired it last year for Duke's SOTM tribute. He doesn't come on till the very end, and when you sit through over 80 minutes, you ask yourself-- how again is this a John Wayne movie? :)

BAIT airs on Retroplex, and also on Encore sometimes. I think they classify it as a western, but that may be stretching it.

Yep, it's GEORGE and DIANA.  She would later marry Richard Dawson.  I think "I Married A Woman" was filmed in 1956, but not released until 1958.  I've seen it a couple times.  It's not so bad.  And besides, George Gobel didn't star in many movies.  With that in mind, don't forget about GEORGE and MITZI (Gaynor) in 1956's "The Birds and the Bees". 

If I am not mistaken, I think this was one of the last, if not THE last RKO film released by the studio before it shut down in the late 50s (and was subsequently bought by Desilu). There were a handful of other pictures that had been finished but were sold off to Universal for distribution. It's kind of sad to think that this is how the studio that produced CITIZEN KANE and all those Astaire-Rogers musicals ended.

George Gobel was always(to me) one of those "personalities" who I always seemed to see somewhere on TV over the years and always also wondered just WHEN, he became so famous, and what FOR?  RED BUTTONS was also one of these types for me. 

But, always got a kick out of George.  His comic "pride" that while he was stationed(I think) in Oklahoma somewhere during WWII, that while he WAS stationed there, not ONE TIME did they suffer any enemy attacks!  Always cracked me up!

I'm sorry I missed the movie, as I've never SEEN a George Gobel movie, and until now, wasn't even aware he MADE any!

Sepiatone

You are both.   :)........She even gives free performances in my condo occasionally.

Yeah, right.

Yeah, right.

Yeah right? She DOES. It's not as if she could charge $10.00 at this stage of her career. She wasn't even well-known 60 years ago.

Yes, the first time I watched it on TCM was when they aired it last year for Duke's SOTM tribute. He doesn't come on till the very end, and when you sit through over 80 minutes, you ask yourself-- how again is this a John Wayne movie? :)

John Wayne is in the movie twice.

The first time was when George took his wife to a movie, and she was watching the movie on a big screen. It showed Wayne in a love scene with a lady, and George’s wife was watching the scene as if Wayne was a great romantic screen lover.

An amusing thing about that sequence was the (simulated) ultra-wide theater screen that looked like it had a 4:1 wide-screen ratio. The screen looked to be about 10 feet high and 40 feet wide.

Then Wayne turns up again later, near the end of the film.

Yeah right? She DOES. It's not as if she could charge $10.00 at this stage of her career. She wasn't even well-known 60 years ago.

You mean on a recording?

George Gobel appeared in a small number of movies over the years, but he only starred in "The Birds and the Bees" and "I Married A Woman". 

George played the President in the 1978 Joan Rivers-directed comedy 'RABBIT TEST'.  Fannie Flagg played the 1st Lady and Billy Crystal starred as the world's first pregnant man.  There were a lot of familiar faces in small parts in 'RABBIT TEST'. 

John Wayne is in the movie twice.

The first time was when George took his wife to a movie, and she was watching the movie on a big screen. It showed Wayne in a love scene with a lady, and George’s wife was watching the scene as if Wayne was a great romantic screen lover.

An amusing thing about that sequence was the (simulated) ultra-wide theater screen that looked like it had a 4:1 wide-screen ratio. The screen looked to be about 10 feet high and 40 feet wide.

Then Wayne turns up again later, near the end of the film.

Thanks for the clarification, Fred. I must have either fallen asleep or gone to relieve my bladder during the first scene featuring Duke.

Thanks for the clarification, Fred. I must have either fallen asleep or gone to relieve my bladder during the first scene featuring Duke.

The scene on the theater screen was a wide-angle shot, and at first I didn’t know it was Wayne. But then I recognized his voice, and Diana Dors mentioned his name as being the actor.

What a strange cast mix for this film: John Wayne, Angie Dickinson (playing his wife), Diana Dors, and George Gobel. A most unlikely cast mix. :)

The scene on the theater screen was a wide-angle shot, and at first I didn’t know it was Wayne. But then I recognized his voice, and Diana Dors mentioned his name as being the actor.

What a strange cast mix for this film: John Wayne, Angie Dickinson (playing his wife), Diana Dors, and George Gobel. A most unlikely cast mix. :)

Yes--I think this is typical of RKO's fare at the end. They were trying to bring in a diverse audience--to reel in TV viewers (Gobel's fans), use a John Wayne cameo to boost ticket sales, cast two sexy females (Dors & Dickinson) and even feature Adolphe Menjou, a reliable character actor who would appeal to older folks. So what we have ultimately is a hodgepodge, and a film that goes up and down so many times it would make a yoyo dizzy.

I think THE GIRL MOST LIKELY was the last film made at RKO. Departments were closing down even while filming this Jane Powell musical. In fact, I believe UI released the film to theatres. Bad management as the studio should not have shuttered its doors. THE FIRST TRAVELING SALELADY with Ginger Rogers returning to the RKO lot was one of the stinkers that probably put the nail in the coffin for RKO.

Have you considered using a male external catheter? You wouldn't have missed the Duke.