Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Thoughts on The Fly

misswonderly3

Saw The Fly (1958) for the first time tonight. It's one of those movies I'd always wanted to see.

Here's what I kept thinking throughout the whole second half:

Ok, so the scientist and the fly got their molecules mixed up, or something. But- this is what's weird -the scientist has a human body ( except for that pesky left arm claw), and the head of a fly. 

So wouldn't he have the brain of a fly?

It's the fly who's got the human head (fly-size, of course). So, presumably the fly would have human intelligence, in which case it would go straight to the lab where the scientist's body is awaiting it. Then they could go through the transporter machine together, and straighten out those molecules.

I mean, wouldn't the fly know this?

But no, apparently it just has the intelligence of a fly.

Ok, but then, at the end, you see a human (albeit fly-sized) head on the fly's body, screeching "Help Me ! " as a horrific spider attacks it.

So, we have a fly with a human head, a fly who can talk ( or at least say "help me"), but a fly that despite this, doesn't have the sense to head straight to that lab in the basement and get things sorted out.

I realize this is perhaps taking the film a leetle more seriously than necessary, but  still, it's quite a plot fly. I mean flaw.

• Like 1

You might think so, but I guess it takes some time for the for full mutation to take place. The fly-headed human was losing his intelligence, and the human-headed fly was actually transforming and learning to talk even though it started out as a regular fly with a white head. I'm wondering, if things were left to work themselves out, if both parties would gradually take each others' place. Sure, it might be hard to look at your husband the same way knowing where he's been... and either of them might suddenly break out with a case of house cat at any moment... but you never know. If no one had panicked things might have gone just swimmingly.

• Like 3

You might think so, but I guess it takes some time for the for full mutation to take place. The fly-headed human was losing his intelligence, and the human-headed fly was actually transforming and learning to talk even though it started out as a regular fly with a white head. I'm wondering, if things were left to work themselves out, if both parties would gradually take each others' place. Sure, it might be hard to look at your husband the same way knowing where he's been... and either of them might suddenly break out with a case of house cat at any moment... but you never know. If no one had panicked things might have gone just swimmingly.

"The Fly" 1986 remake dealt with the mutation issue by turning the transporter into a gene splicing machine.  "Brundlefly"

Almost 30 years...time for a reboot.

Saw The Fly (1958) for the first time tonight. It's one of those movies I'd always wanted to see.

Ok, so the scientist and the fly got their molecules mixed up, or something. But- this is what's weird -the scientist has a human body ( except for that pesky left arm claw), and the head of a fly. 

It's the fly who's got the human head (fly-size, of course). So, presumably the fly would have human intelligence, in which case it would go straight to the lab where the scientist's body is awaiting it. Then they could go through the transporter machine together, and straighten out those molecules.

Ok, but then, at the end, you see a human (albeit fly-sized) head on the fly's body, screeching "Help Me ! " as a horrific spider attacks it.

So, we have a fly with a human head, a fly who can talk ( or at least say "help me"), but a fly that despite this, doesn't have the sense to head straight to that lab in the basement and get things sorted out.

I realize this is perhaps taking the film a leetle more seriously than necessary, but  still, it's quite a plot fly. I mean flaw.

I think if the makers thought all this through they might have said the hell with the whole thing. I know one thing, it's too deep for me. I like your comment about the buzz, missw. In fact, I'll go back and 'like' it.

• Like 1

MissW, this is all the stuff many of us noticed and razzed the movie about while watching it over the years.  It WAS, oddly, what made the movie so much FUN to watch, especially with a roomful of equally "faced" friends.....

Like during the scene in which the woman tells her son to "Quick!  Get the SUGAR!"  Someone would invariably yell out, "Quick!  CRAP on the CARPET!" 

Or, wonder---"Why not place the WHOLE BODY under the press?"

You also mentioned as to wondering( as fits the NAME, I suppose) WHY the human bodied/fly headed creature didn't also have the BRAIN of a fly?  Well, if you recall, he DID type out a note to his wife that his mind was telling him "strange things".  WE always figured that during re-intergration, both the fly's brain and the human brain became amalgams (or, "melded" for all you "trekkies")

I'm also glad Ben cleared up that  "AL/DAVID Hedison" thing that bugged(no pun intended) me for years.  I thought they were brothers who resembled each other really close!  I always WONDERED why Al's career seemed to fade out about the time DAVID gained popularity on "Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea".  (A sort of "Touch"/Mike Connors thing).

I sometimes would kid my cousin, who lived in Montreal, and ask if SHE'S ever noticed any "White-headed" flies buzzing around anywhere.

Sepiatone

I was on vacation with my nieces at the end of last week and I managed to coax them into watching this as I had never seen it before either.

We all made it all the way through, and they both claimed they liked it, which surprised me since it is a little lethargically paced and the budget is obviously a tad modest.

I understand your questions, Miss W,  and I respect them, but for the three of us (my nieces and I) , the biggest question in re: The Fly was what was up with the de-atomized cat?

That was a dangling plot issue that was neither explained nor exploited sufficiently in the film....

Can't tell you how much it would have added to the film for the house to periodically meow and the drapes suddenly seem to shred themselves.

I really hoped it was still around the lab in some form or another and laughing its little cat a** off over the sad fate of his owner. (Frankly, from what I know about cats, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if that fly did not "just happen" to somehow get into the transporter. )

And how hard would it be to sell a house with a p***ed off, de-atomized cat with a grudge haunting it? Talk about a realtor's challenge. Forget the fly guts upstairs: that can be cleaned: in a house with a de-atomized ghost cat don't even bother to try having kids or a dog or a bowl of milk to yourself or company over ever.

• Like 3

...oh, and we were all kind of hoping that, in the scene right after he "loses" the cat in the transporter, and he and his wife have a swanky night out, and then they go to the lab and then he transports the chilled champagne and glasses to the other room, that it would come out some kind of freaky silver-plated champagne bucket/glass/bottle/p****ed off cat/mutant spewing acid champagne at them.

That would have been a great movie.

• Like 1

The answer to this riddle is the fly was the smarter one to begin with, lol.

I remember in Shogun everyone was made to put their swords on the ground to see which one the flies landed on to find out who the killer was. Even after washing the sword the scent of blood was still on the guilty one. And you can determine how long a corpse has been dead by the stage of the fly larvae. So yes they are impressive creatures.  

LOL. Totally agree. But then if that were true, there'd be no movie........

For some reason, the brain that was contained within the giant fly head - or at least, the mind, if there's a difference - was human. Human enough to know what needed to be done ("need fly"). The fly with the little human head, on the other hand, was capable of voicing its emotions in human language ("help me").

The only logical conclusion is that most of the brain material was retained by the scientist - locked within the fly head, but at least a little of that brain material made it into the human head of the fly.

Cronenberg's movie was a lot more sophisticated than the comic-bookish original.

For some reason, the brain that was contained within the giant fly head - or at least, the mind, if there's a difference - was human. Human enough to know what needed to be done ("need fly"). The fly with the little human head, on the other hand, was capable of voicing its emotions in human language ("help me").

The only logical conclusion is that most of the brain material was retained by the scientist - locked within the fly head, but at least a little of that brain material made it into the human head of the fly.

Makes absolute perfect sense to me.  And way more believable than that contemporary film scenario that Dargo came up with that had the Leafs in a Stanley Cup final.

Makes absolute perfect sense to me.  And way more believable than that contemporary film scenario that Dargo came up with that had the Leafs in a Stanley Cup final.

Makes a lot of scene.  Also,  since we only use about 20% of our brain,  the man had a lot of brain matter to share with that fly.  

Makes a lot of scene.  Also,  since we only use about 20% of our brain,  the man had a lot of brain matter to share with that fly.  

Here's a question for you.  How much of the brain does a fly use?

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings