Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Is there anything worth watching tomorrow?

slaytonf

I know there are some great classics included in the line-up, but we've seen them so often, it's discouraging.  Cornered isn't so bad, mainly because of Dick Powell.  Otherwise, running my eye over the schedule, only one piques my appetite.  It's Hollow Triumph, with Paul Henreid, and Joan Bennett.  The description of it sounds completely improbable.  The coincidences are too coincidental.  But somehow, I don't know, Henreid and Bennett make it work.  Maybe we enjoy watching them do what they do so much that we lose sight of the absurdity of what they are doing, if you follow my drift.  I guess that's what they call suspension of disbelief.

I know there are some great classics included in the line-up, but we've seen them so often, it's discouraging.  Cornered isn't so bad, mainly because of Dick Powell.  Otherwise, running my eye over the schedule, only one piques my appetite.  It's Hollow Triumph, with Paul Henreid, and Joan Bennett.  The description of it sounds completely improbable.  The coincidences are too coincidental.  But somehow, I don't know, Henreid and Bennett make it work.  Maybe we enjoy watching them do what they do so much that we lose sight of the absurdity of what they are doing, if you follow my drift.  I guess that's what they call suspension of disbelief.

I just scanned by Directv guide and the only thing I can find for the evening time slot is "Zero Dark Thirty" (2012) on the FXM channel at 8PM.

I haven't seen the movie but it's difficult to see how a Henried-Bennet pairing cannot work. Suspension of belief is not so hard or at least easier when you have a couple good actors executing good perfs. I know you that, just sayin' ... it's also true that good actors can look especially bad if the movie sucks, sometimes through poor direction. They can't find their characters.

"The Killers" (1946)-- at 1:30 p.m., because it's not being shown at snore'o clock in the morning & because of a  shockingly gorgeous Ava Gardner( if I were Bugs Bunny, my eyes would pop out of their sockets and dangle on  their springs) & Burt Lancaster.

'Border Incident" (1949)--at 11:30 p.m., directed by Anthony Mann, who usually did westerns, but did a good modern film this time--& stars Ricardo Montalban, who was Finally cast in something besides a western part or a Esther Williams musical, & got to show he could act!

The entire day is packed with gems that we've all seen a million times.  If only I could pop an Alzheimer's pill that let them all seem new again.  If I were new to TCM, this whole Summer of Darkness series would be far and away the highlight of the year.

One that doesn't show up all that often, though, is The Hollow Triumph (AKA The Scar), an indie studio production which is the one you mentioned.  You're right that the plot is kind of farfetched, but Henreid and Bennett somehow manage to pull it off.  It's also nice that it's on in prime time so that people without recorders can watch it.

• Like 2

'Border Incident" (1949)--at 11:30 p.m., directed by Anthony Mann, who usually did westerns, but did a good modern film this time--& stars Ricardo Montalban, who was Finally cast in something besides a western part or a Esther Williams musical, & got to show he could act!

One glaring omission from the Summer of Darkness series is a terrific noir that Montalban did with Anne Bancroft and Lee Marvin, Life in the Balance (1955).  It's about a serial killer (Marvin, who else?) on the loose while an innocent musician (Montalban) is the prime suspect.  This movie has one of Bancroft's earliest featured roles, and after watching it a second time I'm beginning to root for a Bancroft SOTM tribute.  I suspect the problem with that is that many of her best movies (like this one) were made by Fox.

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings