Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TopBilled

Obscure noir / would be a crime if these were never seen by audiences

The Summer of Darkness series features a lot of noir's heavy hitters. But there are some more obscure classic noir titles that deserve to be broadcast, too. It would be a crime if they were never seen by audiences:

INTRIGUE-- starring George Raft as an ex-military man trying to clear himself of a crime

RACE STREET-- William Bendix is a detective investigating Raft

THE STORY OF MOLLY X-- June Havoc as a female gang leader

WALK A CROOKED MILE-- Critic Bosley Crowther called this Louis Hayward noir 'deliberately sensational.'

HOUSE BY THE RIVER-- Fritz Lang directing Louis Hayward in a gothic noir; an early Norman Bates.

THE SUSPECT-- Charles Laughton as a henpecked husband who may have killed his wife so he can be with luscious Ella Raines.

THE RED HOUSE-- Edward G. Robinson is a disabled farmer trying to protect his niece from a dangerous secret that could destroy her.

PURSUED-- a western noir directed by Raoul Walsh starring Robert Mitchum & Teresa Wright.

THE FURIES-- another western noir, this one with Barbara Stanwyck. Walter Huston appears as her father in what was his last screen role.

• Like 1

thank u for this list

You are welcome. 

Another good, obscure noir worth checking out is THE PROWLER, with Van Heflin as a crooked cop obsessing over Evelyn Keyes. Keyes' then-husband John Huston produced the picture.

• Like 1

Other rarely shown film noir are in color as well as in black & white:

The Cook, The Thief, His Wife and Her Lover - Michael Gambon & Helen Mirren

The Swimmer - Burt Lancaster

Mona Lisa - Bob Hoskins, Michael Caine

Investigation of a Citizen Above Suspicion - Florinda Balkin & Gian Maria Volonte

The Pawnbroker - Rod Steiger

The Ox-Bow Incident - Henry Fonda, Dana Andrews, Anthony Quinn, Henry "Harry" Morgan

Bigger Than Life - James Mason & Barbara Rush

Faces - Gena Rowlands, Seymour Cassel, John Marley - Directed by John Cassavetes

The Servant - Dirk Bogarde, James Fox, Sarah Miles

Baby Doll - Karl Malden, Eli Wallach & Carroll Baker

The Go-Between - Julie Christie & Alan Bates

Edge of the City - John Cassavetes, Sidney Poitier & Jack Warden

Straight Time - Dustin Hoffman

The Strange One - Ben Gazzara, Pat Hingle

Shoot The Piano Player - Charles Aznavour

No Way Out - Richard Widmark, Sidney Poitier & Linda Darnell

• Like 1

putting on my watchlist. i am a van heflin fan

You are welcome. 

Another good, obscure noir worth checking out is THE PROWLER, with Van Heflin as a crooked cop obsessing over Evelyn Keyes. Keyes' then-husband John Huston produced the picture.

A number of these obscure noirs are public domain, I believe. House by the River and The Furies may still be, as well a couple of others at least. YouTube Cinema.

There is one pre-code 1931 film that I absolutely love. City Streets with Sylvia Sidney and Gary Cooper. It is based off a Dashielle Hammett short story. I think this could be one of the earliest examples of American Film Noir. It has great cinematography. My favorite image is this shot as the camera zooms out. 

City%2BStreets.png

I would also consider this an example of Femme Noir as its focus is on Sidney's character more so than on the male counterparts.

There is one pre-code 1931 film that I absolutely love. City Streets with Sylvia Sidney and Gary Cooper. It is based off a Dashielle Hammett short story. I think this could be one of the earliest examples of American Film Noir. It has great cinematography. My favorite image is this shot as the camera zooms out. 

I would also consider this an example of Femme Noir as its focus is on Sidney's character more so than on the male counterparts.

The book Film Noir (Silver \ Ward) agrees with you since it includes City Streets.   The film stands out because 'it displays none of the staccato violence associated with other gangster films of the period'.    "Mamoulian's films almost always displayed a stunning visual style and City Streets is no exception.   Heavy chiaroscuro lighting and the dark milieu of the underworld reinforce the noir attitude of Hammett's expert characterizations".

Of course we also have Sylvia Sidney.    Whose eyes say and revel so much!           

A number of these obscure noirs are public domain, I believe. House by the River and The Furies may still be, as well a couple of others at least. YouTube Cinema.

Yes, Bill, thanks for pointing that out. I am glad you noticed how much of my original list included public domain titles. I did that for a reason. Why? Because usually what is available to us commercially or on Youtube or at the Internet Archives is such poor visual and audio quality, that I was hoping to inspire TCM to get some of these titles from private collectors who might have better (or in some cases, the original) prints. That's the kind of stuff TCM and UCLA and the Film Noir Foundation can do for all of us.

HOUSE BY THE RIVER is one I would pick if I was a guest programmer. I mean, it's obvious that Hitchcock ripped off a lot of Lang's work from this picture when he made PSYCHO. I consider Fritz Lang to be the most influential director of all when it comes to horror/noir.

Here are some great Neo Noirs that are usually off everybody's Noirdar some are flawed but worth seeing: 

Satan in High Heels (1962)  Leather fetish Noir with Grayson Hall

Mister Buddwing (1966) James Garner, POV, Amnesia, High-Low angle cinematography, Jazz, Noir tropes

The Nickel Ride (1974) LA Crime Noir

Union City (1980) Period Cornell Woolrich Story of milk bottle theft gone wrong.

Hammett (1982) Fun homage to Pulp Fiction and Dashiell Hammett.

The Kill-Off (1990) Jersey Noir, Jim Thompson novel tale brought to screen.

Delusion (1991) Death Valley Noir.

Romeo Is Bleeding (1993) Sergio Leonesque New York Noir

The Wrong Man (1993) Mexican Road trip companion piece to Bring Me The Head of Alfredo Garcia

Hit Me (1996) Jim Thompson novel "A Swell Looking Babe"

This World, Then the Fireworks (1997) Jim Thompson novella
  • Like 1

Here are some great Neo Noirs that are usually off everybody's Noirdar some are flawed but worth seeing: 

Mister Buddwing (1966) James Garner, POV, Amnesia, High-Low angle cinematography, Jazz, Noir tropes

The Wrong Man (1993) Mexican Road trip companion piece to Bring Me The Head of Alfredo Garcia

Glad you mentioned MISTER BUDDWING...what an intriguing film. And of course, there is another WRONG MAN, directed by Alfred Hitchcock and starring Henry Fonda and Vera Miles.

now here's obscure- i found a maltese falcon b- knock off called The Argyle Secrets from 1948. havent watched yet, but i will to see how the maltese falcon influenced film makers- but it seems pretty solid poverty row stuff

• Like 1

Glad you mentioned MISTER BUDDWING...what an intriguing film. And of course, there is another WRONG MAN, directed by Alfred Hitchcock and starring Henry Fonda and Vera Miles.

Glad you brought that up, What's very entertaining about The Wrong Man (1993) is John Lithgow does some channeling of Henry Fonda as "The Ugly American" as he road trips down the Gulf coast of Mexico, check it out sometime.

• Like 1

anyone seen "Clash by Night"?

probably not a pure film noir, and the acting is not in the usual Fritz Lang style

but worth watching

anyone seen "Clash by Night"?

probably not a pure film noir, and the acting is not in the usual Fritz Lang style

but worth watching

Yes, CLASH BY NIGHT is certainly worth watching. It also features an early performance by Marilyn Monroe. 

Stanwyck and Ryan paired up again a short time later for RKO in the jungle-based adventure ESCAPE TO BURMA. 

• Like 1

i found a good b-noir crime doctor 1943 by columbia,  it's very watchable and has alot of familar movie faces in it

• Like 1

i found a good b-noir crime doctor 1943 by columbia,  it's very watchable and has alot of familar movie faces in it

Yes, the Crime Doctor films turn up occasionally on TCM. They're enjoyable.

• Like 1

Satan in High Heels (1962)  Leather fetish Noir with Grayson Hall

The Nickel Ride (1974) LA Crime Noir

Union City (1980) Period Cornell Woolrich Story of milk bottle theft gone wrong.

Hammett (1982) Fun homage to Pulp Fiction and Dashiell Hammett.

The Kill-Off (1990) Jersey Noir, Jim Thompson novel tale brought to screen.

Delusion (1991) Death Valley Noir.

Romeo Is Bleeding (1993) Sergio Leonesque New York Noir

Hit Me (1996) Jim Thompson novel "A Swell Looking Babe"

This World, Then the Fireworks (1997) Jim Thompson novella

Great list!  Unfortunately, the only of one those I have seen is Hammett.  Which is definitely worth a watch for sort of "meta" reasons.  

Has BREAKING POINT been mentioned?

THE BREAKING POINT, with John Garfield and Patricia Neal, is scheduled to air in August as part of Pat Neal's SUTS tribute.

• Like 1

Why HE WALKED BY NIGHT is not being shown is a mystery to me. I guess it's too much of a police procedural.

Why HE WALKED BY NIGHT is not being shown is a mystery to me. I guess it's too much of a police procedural.

He Walked by Night was released by Eagle-Lion,   so it might have fallen under the radar by those that lease films from various studios \ sources.

Jack Webb drew inspiration for his popular radio show Dragnet from the film as well as many T.V. Cop shows latter on.