Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
JeanneCrain

Sally Fields…what a doll !

Sally Fields and Fannie Flag co-starred in 1976's "STAY HUNGRY" with Arnold Schwartzenegger.

Wait a minute . . . Sally Field and Fannie Flagg co-starred in 1976's "STAY HUNGRY" with Arnold Schwarzenegger.  Now I feel better!  My emotional journey of the evening is now fulfilled . . .

• Like 1

I know it's been said before. but it's Sally Field, not Sally Fields.

Can somebody post a pic of her stepfather, Jocks Mahoney?

..the same way people refer to Tyrone Powers, Cary Grants, and Ginger Rogerss.

Yeah, and don't forget "Frederic" March and Ronald "Coleman" here, dude!

(...though in THIS case, I don't think there's any commonality of people placing that superfluous letter 'e' in THEIR names and with those who insist on spelling certain words with that dumb superfluous letter 'u'!!!)

LOL

Here ya go, Rich...

40e1489f194acb60e838e2b347285677.jpg

(...oh...wait...you asked for "JOCKS Mahoney" here didn't ya, not "Jerry"...sorry...never mind)

Although he played Tarzan a couple of times in movies, Jock Mahoney also is remembered for his starring role in the CBS adventure series "Yancy Derringer," which aired during the 1958-1959 season.

Yeah, and don't forget "Frederic" March and Ronald "Coleman" here, dude!

(...though in THIS case, I don't think there's any commonality of people placing that superfluous letter 'e' in THEIR names and with those who insist on spelling certain words with that dumb superfluous letter 'u'!!!)

LOL

..and Robert Vaughan.

I'm looking forward to hearing  Sally talk about her grandfather W.C. :rolleyes:

Wait a second-- do people actually think Sally Field is W.C. Fields' granddaughter???

I'm looking forward to hearing  Sally talk about her grandfather W.C. :rolleyes:

You are incorrect. He grandfather's name was Marshall.

And her grandmother was a woman named Cookie. But they just called her Mrs.

Aw, come on! All the databases I've seen list a Grandpa Ebbets for a paternal grandfather.

Brian

• Like 1

Yeah, and back in the '30s I think he played first base for the Chicago Cubs at ....

(...eeh...never mind...you knew where I was goin' with this one, didn't ya) ;)

I know a Jock Mahoneys ... but I don't think he was a stepfather.

Here ya go, Rich...

40e1489f194acb60e838e2b347285677.jpg

(...oh...wait...you asked for "JOCKS Mahoney" here didn't ya, not "Jerry"...sorry...never mind)

Well, at least you're on topic since we're talking about "dolls," which I assume also includes "dummies." Paging Knucklehead Smiff.

Well, at least you're on topic since we're talking about "dolls," which I assume also includes "dummies." Paging Knucklehead Smiff.

Not all would make this assumption. A doll is a doll.

Is that Howdy Doody or that other guy (with puppetmeister Bergen.) Either case they ain't no doll, no how, a doll's gotta be a dame.

Not all would make this assumption. A doll is a doll.

Is that Howdy Doody or that other guy (with puppetmeister Bergen.) Either case they ain't no doll, no how, a doll's gotta be a dame.

But what if a doll declares she wants to be a dummy?  After all, gender is just a social construct - or some crap like that.

But what if a doll declares she wants to be a dummy?  After all, gender is just a social construct - or some crap like that.

Most dolls are dummies to begin with (a little retro humor from yesteryear, like the blondes, e.g.). Though gender may be a social construct, dolls tend to be a whole lot better constructed (like Polly Bergen, for instance) than the construction of dummies (Edgar Bergen and friends) and the like. I suppose we should follow Voltaire and define out terms.

;)

Maybe she'll also reveal a juicy tidbit or two about great aunt Totie, maybe even set the world straight on the rumor that Totie eloped with Tor Johnson, when they were each betrothed to others, and it took all of the talents of Tor's studio's publicity department to squash the story before it became an all out scandal. To this day, only a few insiders know the full story, and they ain't telling.....maybe Sally will!

Maybe she'll also reveal a juicy tidbit or two about great aunt Totie, maybe even set the world straight on the rumor that Totie eloped with Tor Johnson, when they were each betrothed to others, and it took all of the talents of Tor's studio's publicity department to squash the story before it became an all out scandal. To this day, only a few insiders know the full story, and they ain't telling.....maybe Sally will!

If somebody can name me another Totie on this earth, I'd be more than appreciative.

You mean some woman was actually going to marry Tor? How inTOResting! Decadently speaking.

so Ms. Field doesn't think '.....Dorian Grey' doesn't rate being an essential because of Hatfield's "mask-like" performance. Osborne suggested maybe Peter Lawford (with a more likeable personality) would've been a better choice but still believed the movie, as a whole, with the other performances and total atmosphere, should still be an 'essential'.

Interesting points, but still gotta agree with RO here.

What d'ya think?

• Like 1

so Ms. Field doesn't think '.....Dorian Grey' doesn't rate being an essential because of Hatfield's "mask-like" performance. Osborne suggested maybe Peter Lawford (with a more likeable personality) would've been a better choice but still believed the movie, as a whole, with the other performances and total atmosphere, should still be an 'essential'.

Interesting points, but still gotta agree with RO here.

What d'ya think?

as I recall her actual word with regard to Hatfield's performance was "DREADFUL"....and I agree. I don't know if I'd have the guts to say it on national TV or in front of Robert Osborne, but I agree.

it IS a film worth watching though for the visuals, for the story, and for the supporting performances all of which managed to be good (esp Lansbury) in spite of the fact that Hatfield just stinks to high heaven.

Seriously I'm not kidding: the portrait genuinely outacts him. at least there's some facial expression.

#teamSally

• Like 1

I'm going with team RO here--because I think the director has to take some of the blame here--yes, he's expressionless, but the supporting cast is not.  I think director Lewin is partially to blame--because in Dragon Seed, HHs' debut film, he is Not expressionless and emotionless.  JMO.

Edit.  His dialogue just said "I don't want to be at the mercy of my emotions."  HH & someone named Basil said the portrait showed more emotion than HH.  The story, dialogue & direction all require HH to be emotionless.  Again, JMO :)

Edit #2--HH effectively comes across as a coldhearted *******, especially with Angela Lansbury.

I'm going with team RO here--because I think the director has to take some of the blame here--yes, he's expressionless, but the supporting cast is not. I think director Lewin is partially to blame--because in Dragon Seed, HHs' debut film, he is Not expressionless and emotionless. JMO.

Edit. His dialogue just said "I don't want to be at the mercy of my emotions." HH & someone named Basil said the portrait showed more emotion than HH. The story, dialogue & direction all require HH to be emotionless. Again, JMO :)

Edit #2--HH effectively comes across as a coldhearted *******, especially with Angela Lansbury.

yes the last time I mentioned how bad I thought Hatfield was in "Dorian Gray" someone copy and pasted a review from I think Bosley Crowther of the New York Times that laid the blame for his performance squarely on the shoulders of the director. I guess it is entirely possible that the director instructed him to be flat and emotionless and two-dimensional. But if he did it was a huge mistake.

it is, I think, worth noting that Hatfield made something like three guest appearances on MURDER SHE WROTE, and he and Lansbury were reportedly good friends. So maybe it was just a case of he was a nice guy and a good actor whose career was pretty much ruined by a bad call from a higher up.

• Like 1