Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

It should have worked !

GGGGerald

A classic film where it had a great cast. Or came from a great book/play. Or the story sounded really exciting. And for whatever reason, it just didn't work. Or maybe you were disappointed.

Comments about Monkey Business got me thinking, what are films that were a disappointment to you ?

Hmmm..."great cast" but still turned out to be a turkey? Is that pretty much what you're askin' for here, Gerald?

Well then, coincidentally TCM just last night showed THE SWARM (1978), and here was the cast of THAT Irwin Allen bomb...

Michael Caine

Richard Widmark

Olivia de Havilland

Henry Fonda

Ben Johnson

Lee Grant

Jose Ferrer

Fred MacMurray

(...aaah, but yeah, considering it WAS directed by Irwin Allen, I suppose knowing that beforehand would probably negate any "shock" at feeling "let down" by anyone after viewing this one, huh!) ;)

• Like 1

Golden Boy has been praised to high heavens but the only good thing about it was Stanwyck. Totally forgettable.

You mean you didn't enjoy Lee J. Cobb's impersonation of Geppetto, or whatever that was supposed to be?

• Like 1

When I first monkey business was showing. I asked myself " Why don't I know about a film that has three of my favorite people in it Cary Grant, Ginger Rogers, and a young Marilyn Monroe ?"  .

Then I saw the film Ugh ! With that level of talent available, someone should have came in and wrote a new script for these people. Any three actors could have played that film. Really a B movie with A+ talent. Someone should have been fired.

Hmmm..."great cast" but still turned out to be a turkey? Is that pretty much what you're askin' for here, Gerald?

Well then, coincidentally TCM just last night showed THE SWARM (1978), and here was the cast of THAT Irwin Allen bomb...

Michael Caine

Richard Widmark

Olivia de Havilland

Henry Fonda

Ben Johnson

Lee Grant

Jose Ferrer

Fred MacMurray

(...aaah, but yeah, considering it WAS directed by Irwin Allen, I suppose knowing that beforehand would probably negate any "shock" at feeling "let down" by anyone after viewing this one, huh!) ;)

I get the feeling Irwin Allen was the 70's version of action films of today: Lots of explosions, buildings falling down, well known actors, no plot !

Not very good but, the studios were sure they would make box office. We have to remember, movies weren't doing so well in the early 70's. T.V. was king . Until Jaws of course.

GGGGerald-- The difference is in "produced by" & "directed by": (Numbers are from box-office mojo.com)--Last time I visited, 2 weeks ago, they had no numbers available on films that grossed less than $2 million dollars.

"Produced by"

"The Poseidon Adventure (1972)--cost $10 million  to make, grossed around $100 million (to date)

"The Towering Inferno (1974)--cost $20 some million, grossed over $120 million (to date)

"Directed by"

"The Swarm (1978)--no numbers available

"Beyond the Poseidon Adventure (1979)--no numbers available

'When Time Ran Out (1980)--cost 20 million dollars, grossed 3.5 million dollars.

Allen made 2 tv movies, Fire! (1976) & Flood (1977), which I'm exempting from monetary numbers because I don't have access to the ratings, how much advertisers paid per commercial spot, etc.

Dargo--You also have to consider did the movies deliver on special effects. TPA & TTI did;  TS emphatically did not, BTPA didn't really deliver, WTRO did, but effects were cheesy & 2nd rate.  70's audiences were going to these for the special effects mainly;  Bad special effects=Bad box office.

Slapstick (of Another Kind) 1982.

I was a big Kurt Vonnegut, Jr. fan and loved the adaptation of Slaughterhouse Five (1972) by George Roy Hill.  

But Slapstick with Jerry Lewis and Madeleine Kahn was beyond a mere disappointment.  It was an abomination.

I get the feeling Irwin Allen was the 70's version of action films of today: Lots of explosions, buildings falling down, well known actors, no plot !

Not very good but, the studios were sure they would make box office. We have to remember, movies weren't doing so well in the early 70's. T.V. was king . Until Jaws of course.

I was a teenager in the 11th grade and worked at Loews Theater between 1970 and 72 and the only good movies I remember showing on the big screen was the  Planet of the Apes movies we would get in.  Most everything else we were glad to see leave. 

• Like 1

GGGGerald-- The difference is in "produced by" & "directed by": (Numbers are from box-office mojo.com)--Last time I visited, 2 weeks ago, they had no numbers available on films that grossed less than $2 million dollars.

"Produced by"

"The Poseidon Adventure (1972)--cost $10 million  to make, grossed around $100 million (to date)

"The Towering Inferno (1974)--cost $20 some million, grossed over $120 million (to date)

"Directed by"

"The Swarm (1978)--no numbers available

"Beyond the Poseidon Adventure (1979)--no numbers available

'When Time Ran Out (1980)--cost 20 million dollars, grossed 3.5 million dollars.

Allen made 2 tv movies, Fire! (1976) & Flood (1977), which I'm exempting from monetary numbers because I don't have access to the ratings, how much advertisers paid per commercial spot, etc.

Dargo--You also have to consider did the movies deliver on special effects. TPA & TTI did;  TS emphatically did not, BTPA didn't really deliver, WTRO did, but effects were cheesy & 2nd rate.  70's audiences were going to these for the special effects mainly;  Bad special effects=Bad box office.

You can draw a dividing line at Jaws (1975) . It was from that film that special effects took a great leap forward. With Star Wars (1977) Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1977) and the like dominating the box office, Irwin Allen was outclassed and obsolete. Notice the dates of those bombs he directed.

But, this is Hollywood. If you have proven you can make a successful film and you have the right connections. They let you try again and again and again.

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings