Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

YES! AT LAST! September 2015's Star of the Month is...

YES!    AT LAST!   September 2015's Star of the Month is actually going to be Susan Hayward.

I've been waiting for this for at least two years now!   I know that quite a few other folks have been hoping for Hayward to be finally chosen for a month-long spotlight.    It's hard to believe that it hasn't happened earlier, with the three MGM films in the Time-Warner (Turner) library, the handful of RKO films in the Time-Warner (Turner) library, and the several United Artists (now MGM-owned) films that TCM has aired over the years [two of them especially in the last two years], and assorted films from that TCM has shown in the last year from various studios (Paramount, Warner Bros., and Fox). 

• Like 1

YES!    AT LAST!   September 2015's Star of the Month is actually going to be Susan Hayward.

I've been waiting for this for at least two years now!   I know that quite a few other folks have been hoping for Hayward to be finally chosen for a month-long spotlight.    It's hard to believe that it hasn't happened earlier, with the three MGM films in the Time-Warner (Turner) library, the handful of RKO films in the Time-Warner (Turner) library, and the several United Artists (now MGM-owned) films that TCM has aired over the years [two of them especially in the last two years], and assorted films from that TCM has shown in the last year from various studios (Paramount, Warner Bros., and Fox). 

Does anyone know what films TCM will be showing in this tribute to Hayward?   Hopefully TCM leases a few of her 20th Century Fox films to add to the films from the studios you have mentioned.

Either way, better late than never!

Oh wow, wait until DownGoesFrazier next logs on and sees this....   :)

He will love it!  He'd been campaigning for this for quite a while.

(I'm glad, too - I like Susan Hayward.)

Yea, I was surprised I was able to post here before he did.   But if he takes any credit for this,,,, well,,,, 

• Like 1

Does anyone know what films TCM will be showing in this tribute to Hayward?   Hopefully TCM leases a few of her 20th Century Fox films to add to the films from the studios you have mentioned.

One that's being shown for (I think) the first time on TCM is I Can Get It For You Wholesale, whose brief summary reads

"A ruthless fashion designer steps on everyone in her way in order to reach the top of her profession. Eventually she is forced to choose between her ambition and the man she loves."

In addition to Hayward, it's got George Sanders and Sam Jaffe, and the presence of those three alone should tell you that this is a movie you won't want to miss.  Good thing it's being given the 8:00 PM slot instead of in the wee hours of the morning.  The Fox Movie Channel used to show it all the time, and it was one of their better offerings.

• Like 1

List of films:

Sept. 3rd--8:00  Beau Geste (1939); 10:00  Adam Had Four Sons (1941);  11:30  Reap The Wild Wind (1942);  1:45  Canyon Passage (1946);  3:30  Tulsa (1949);  5:00  My Foolish Heart (1949)

Sept. 10th--8:00  I Can Get It For You Wholesale(1951);  9:45 David & Bathsheba (1951);  12:00  The President's Lady (1953);  1:45  With A Song In My Heart (1952);  4:00 The Lusty Men (1952)

Sept. 17th--8:00  Demetrius & the Gladiators (1953);  10:00  The Conqueror (1956);  12:00  I'll Cry Tomorrow (1955);  2:15  I Want To Live (1958);  4:30  Top Secret Affair (1957)

Sept 24th--8:00 The-Marriage-Go-Round(1960);  9:45  Back Street(1961);  11:45 Valley of the Dolls (1967);  2:00 Stolen Hours(1962);  The Honey Pot (1967) 

AndyM108 is right.   TCM will be showing "I can get it for you wholesale".  I think he's also right that this will be a TCM premiere.

The other 20th Century Fox films that I've noticed scheduled for September - at least several of which will be TCM premieres - are:

"The snows of Kilimanjaro"

"David and Bathsheba" - might be another TCM premiere

"Valley of the dolls" - which I think will be another TCM premiere

"The marriage-go-round" - which I think will be yet another TCM premiere

"The president's lady" - yet another TCM premiere

"WIth a song in my heart"

"Demetrius and the gladiators"

Other scheduled Susan Hayward films are:

"Beau geste" (where Hayward must have had a minor role or a supporting role)

"Adam had four sons"

"Reap the wild wind"

"Canyon passage"

"Tulsa"

"My foolish heart"

"They won't believe me"

"Smash-up, the story of a woman"

"Deadline at dawn"

"Girls on probation"

"The lusty men"

"The conqueror"

"Top secret affair" (1957, Warner Bros. - This one I remember TCM showing once in the last one or two years)

"Where love has gone" (Paramount; TCM showed it this past New Year's Day, as part of a Joan Crawford & Bette Davis marathon.)

"Back street"  (1961 film version)

along with the now MGM-owned United Artists films:

"I want to live"

"Stolen hours"

"The honey pot"  (Hayward shared top billing with Rex Harrison, but really has more of a supporting role than a lead one.   She appears only in the first half-hour of the movie, and near the end of the movie her voice is heard again, while she is off-screen.)

and the Time-Warner-owned MGM films:

"I'll cry tomorrow"

"Ada"

"I thank a fool".

TikiSoo--Enjoy Sept.  Three films not to miss if you haven't seen them:  

I'll Cry Tomorrow (1955)--dramatic weepie, but Susan sings with her own voice--was nominated for an Oscar.

Deadline at Dawn (1946)--underrated film noir.

The Lusty Men (1952)--about the rodeo circuit.  Good film.

THE LUSTY MEN (1952) is the one I'd recommend most highly to everyone.

It's one of Nicolas Ray's "small" films- an intimate, black and white story of Rodeo life and the men who risk their lives to win (and the women who love them.) Susan is wonderful, understated yet tough as a ten cent steak, as a wife fighting to keep her husband in line, while Robert Mitchum has a great part as a once-great bullrider who wants to recapture his former glory (and maybe his friend's wife.)

I've seen it twice, and liked it both times, but the second viewing was the one where I really appreciated what a full movie it is.

• Like 2

THE LUSTY MEN (1952) is the one I'd recommend most highly to everyone.

It's one of Nicolas Ray's "small" films- an intimate, black and white story of Rodeo life and the men who risk their lives to win (and the women who love them.) Susan is wonderful, understated yet tough as a ten cent steak, as a wife fighting to keep her husband in line, while Robert Mitchum has a great part as a once-great bullrider who wants to recapture his former glory (and maybe his friend's wife.)

I've seen it twice, and liked it both times, but the second viewing was the one where I really appreciated what a full movie it is.

The Lusty Men is a very good movie,  but even if it wasn't who wouldn't want to see this film based on your description of Susan;

Susan is wonderful, understated yet tough as a ten cent steak,,,,

Priceless! 

One that's being shown for (I think) the first time on TCM is I Can Get It For You Wholesale, whose brief summary reads

"A ruthless fashion designer steps on everyone in her way in order to reach the top of her profession. Eventually she is forced to choose between her ambition and the man she loves."

In addition to Hayward, it's got George Sanders and Sam Jaffe, and the presence of those three alone should tell you that this is a movie you won't want to miss.  Good thing it's being given the 8:00 PM slot instead of in the wee hours of the morning.  The Fox Movie Channel used to show it all the time, and it was one of their better offerings.

I agree this movie is very good. Dan Dailey costars as Susan's love interest and business partner. I CAN GET IT FOR YOU WHOLESALE has been described as "ALL ABOUT EVE in the rag trade", and in fact, George Sanders plays a variation of his Addison DeWitt role.

Other rarely seen highlights include:

WHERE LOVE HAS GONE (1964), based on a Harold Robbins novel based on the Lana Turner-Johnny Stompanato-Cheryl Crane tragedy. With Bette Davis, Joey Heatherton and Mike Connors. Trashy fun.

BACK STREET(1961), where Susan Hayward's character is now a prosperous designer living in Europe.

STOLEN HOURS (1963), Susan takes on the Bette Davis role in this remake of DARK VICTORY.

The Lusty Men is a very good movie,  but even if it wasn't who wouldn't want to see this film based on your description of Susan;

Susan is wonderful, understated yet tough as a ten cent steak,,,,

Priceless! 

Thank you, but I cannot take credit for that one...I think it was either Hammett or Chandler who first coined that simile.

STOLEN HOURS (1963), Susan takes on the Bette Davis role in this remake of DARK VICTORY.

Ah, maybe that explains some of the well-documented animosity betwixt the two whilst filming WHERE LOVE HAS GONE.

PS- everytime I hear WHERE LOVE HAS GONE mentioned, (this is the film, of course, in which Bette Davis plays Susan Hayward's MOTHER) I am reminded of this gem of a line regarding a similar casting challenge in the behind-the-scenes-of-a-soap-opera comedy Soapdish:

ROSE (HEAD WRITER)

"And now, apparently, Celeste is

Montana's MOTHER??!! So: when exactly did she give

birth to her? When she was, what: five? Six? Seven?!! WHEN?!"

Ah, maybe that explains some of the well-documented animosity betwixt the two whilst filming WHERE LOVE HAS GONE.

PS- everytime I hear WHERE LOVE HAS GONE mentioned, (this is the film, of course, in which Bette Davis plays Susan Hayward's MOTHER) I am reminded of this gem of a line regarding a similar casting challenge in the behind-the-scenes-of-a-soap-opera comedy Soapdish:

ROSE (HEAD WRITER)

"And now, apparently, Celeste is

Montana's MOTHER??!! So: when exactly did she give

birth to her? When she was, what: five? Six? Seven?!! WHEN?!"

Yes that.was a factor. It probably didn't help that Hayward was top billed in WLHG, and she pulled rank when they disagreed; the producers sided with Susan.

Btw, the role of Margo Channing was originally thought of by Joe Mankiewicz for Hayward; he wrote Darryl Zanuck a.memo stating, "Superb role for Susan Hayward". But as the script unfolded, he realized the character would have to have to be for an older actress than Susan, who was then in her early 30s.

According to Bette, she and the director were trying to make the picture better by rewriting the script behind the scenes. Susan found out about it and pulled rank and the picture was shot according to script. Hard to know how much of that was true, but the movie was pretty bad. The two didnt get along. They also wanted Bette to go mad on the witness stand which she refused to do. So it was never shot....

I think this was after principal photography had finished. I think they took Bette to court or tried. They didnt get their way..........

Davis claimed later she did this "piece of trash" to pay for her daughter's wedding (ironic in retrospect)....

Davis claimed later she did this "piece of trash" to pay for her daughter's wedding (ironic in retrospect)....

Oh hell to the yeah.

God, I've seen that crazy daughter of hers in interviews, and she is a hot, falling down the stairs, four-alarm MESS...she makes Christina Crawford look dignified and reverant by comparison.

• Like 1

Oh hell to the yeah.

God, I've seen that crazy daughter of hers in interviews, and she is a hot, falling down the stairs, four-alarm MESS...she makes Christina Crawford look dignified and reverant by comparison.

LOL. I know. She's scary..............

Too bad TCM couldn't have shown two early Susan Hayward films from Paramount that brought great attention to her beginnings at stardom :  

An excellent b-film with Albert Dekker,   AMONG THE LIVING

THE FOREST RANGERS with Fred Mac Murray and Paulette Goddard.

By the way, the song I'VE GOT SPURS THAT JINGLE,JANGLE, JINGLE comes from this film. 

• Like 2

Too bad TCM couldn't have shown two early Susan Hayward films from Paramount that brought great attention to her beginnings at stardom :  

An excellent b-film with Albert Dekker,   AMONG THE LIVING

THE FOREST RANGERS with Fred Mac Murray and Paulette Goddard.

By the way, the song I'VE GOT SPURS THAT JINGLE,JANGLE, JINGLE comes from this film.

I mentioned.in another thread that it's a shame that so few of Susan's Paramount films are being shown; I believe it's only two. AMONG THE LIVING would have been great. Besides Susan, Frances Farmer also stars in it; it may have been her last.at Paramount. In little over a year later, Farmer's tragic last run-in with the law would begin.

• Like 1

I mentioned.in another thread that it's a shame that so few of Susan's Paramount films are being shown; I believe it's only two. AMONG THE LIVING would have been great. Besides Susan, Frances Farmer also stars in it; it may have been her last.at Paramount. In little over a year later, Farmer's tragic last run-in with the law would begin.

There has always been great difficulty in getting the Paramounts and Universals we want whether it be on cable or DVD.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings