Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Border Incident

Sepiatone

Never saw this before.  Had fun kidding my wife that ossibly some of the guys sneaking over the border in the beginning of the film were her father and uncles, but it so far, is the only other movie I saw "Mr. Macy"( Harry Antrim) in, and was glad to see Sgt.Schultz find gainful employment after the war!( Sig Ruman).

Also worried that all that desert sand would play hell on the "fine Corinthian leather" Montalban's boots were made from.

All in all, not a bad flick.

Sepiatone

• Like 1

Never saw this before.  Had fun kidding my wife that ossibly some of the guys sneaking over the border in the beginning of the film were her father and uncles,

Sepiatone

This movie always seems to be historically "up to date" to me.

This movie always seems to be historically "up to date" to me.

It does to me, too. I lived in Yuma for almost ten years, and this stuff still goes on down there. It's fun to hear them mention towns near Yuma like El Centro and Calexico (the other side is Mexicali). 

It does to me, too. I lived in Yuma for almost ten years, and this stuff still goes on down there. It's fun to hear them mention towns near Yuma like El Centro and Calexico (the other side is Mexicali). 

I live out in the Southwest now, and I hear about this stuff on the local news all the time. The national news channels rarely mention it.

I live out in the Southwest now, and I hear about this stuff on the local news all the time. The national news channels rarely mention it.

Right-- it's a way of life along the border. Eddie Muller said the working title was 'Border Patrol.' And in Yuma, you will see border patrol everywhere. Some of my neighbors worked at the checkpoints. And you also see border patrol vehicles cruising around town, sometimes conducting raids, looking for illegal immigrants. This is a nearly everyday occurrence in parts of southwest Arizona and southern California.

Yuma is three miles from California and eight miles from Algodones, Mexico. There are other towns just south of Yuma, like Somerton, and also San Luis which is right on the border (there is a San Luis, Arizona and a San Luis, Mexico). 

Of course, many Mexican Americans in Yuma are U.S. citizens. But on the border at the checkpoints, everyone is checked all the time.

Except today we no longer have a border.

We have a full border marked on all maps. It is shown as a long line on the maps that goes across the bottom of 4 states.

However, on real land, the painted lines are only at the official border crossing locations near major cities. Those lines are only about 100 yards long.

There are no lines in the desert or in the mountains.

:)

• Like 2

border-sign.jpg

LOL

Now THAT is classic...AND unfortunately SO damn true.

BUT, then again of course, maybe these kinds of signs might ALSO best be placed at all border crossings between "Bible Belt" states and into "Blue" states, and on which the suggested chronological re-adjustment statement on THOSE reading, say, "FIFTY years forward" or so!!! LOL

(...don't look now but I THINK I just lost "The Heartland Vote" here, dude!!!)

ROFL

Speakin' of the old California Senator in this movie...

Was anyone else here shocked to see his demise in it? I really thought that Ricardo and James(Mitchell) were going to somehow save him from that terrible fate inflicted upon him by the evil Charles McGraw.

(...but as Eddie our host said after its showing the other night, once you see this, it IS kind of something that'll stick with you for a while anyway)

• Like 1

Speakin' of the old California Senator in this movie...

Was anyone else here shocked to see his demise in it? I really thought that Ricardo and James(Mitchell) were going to somehow save him from that terrible fate inflicted upon him by the evil Charles McGraw.

(...but as Eddie our host said after its showing the other night, once you see this, it IS kind of something that'll stick with you for a while anyway)

Yes, I was shocked. The first time I'd seen this movie (quite a few years ago), I'd read a brief synopsis beforehand, and it mentioned how one of the major characters dies (but not which one). I thought somehow McGraw would be the one, with Montalban and Mitchell coming to the rescue.  On the other hand, McGraw does get his later, and it looks like it is right in the family jewels.

And yes, the combine scene sticks with me, so there is no need for me to ever watch this film again.

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings