Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

99 River Street

lydecker

Wow.  I really enjoyed this movie.  I have never heard of it and it was just one noir surprise after another. Evelyn Keyes turned in a bravura performance.  And, speaking of bad days, boy was John Payne having one.  Fun seeing Frank Faylen in a decent sized role for a change but, the poor guy.  Does he always have to play a cab driver??

Lydecker

• Like 1

I love this film. It's my favorite noir. Edward Small knew how to make these perfectly inexpensive character studies-- and the actors and the atmospheric touches are just superb in 99 RIVER STREET.

I have reached a point where I watch this film about once a month, and I am starting to get to where I have major chunks of the dialogue memorized. Evelyn's scene in the theatre is a true classic moment. I also love the part where John Payne learns about his wife. And what happens to the wife is pretty shocking, considering this was 1953. And the interplay between Jay Adler and Brad Dexter in the pet shop is well-played. Then we have the great finale on the pier (the actual address in the title) which has been set up by Evelyn's monkey business inside the bar.

This is a terrific independent production. Can't say enough good things about it.

I don't know about other people, but when I find two dead bodies in one night, both murdered by someone else, I would call the police both times. I would not put one in the trunk of my car and the other in the back seat and then try to think of where I could dump their bodies.

I don't know about other people, but when I find two dead bodies in one night, both murdered by someone else, I would call the police both times. I would not put one in the trunk of my car and the other in the back seat and then try to think of where I could dump their bodies.

Well, nobody said John Payne's "Ernie" was a rocket scientist.

Well, nobody said John Payne's "Ernie" was a rocket scientist.

Exactly. He is distraught about the state of his marriage, then he gets embroiled in Evelyn's drama and I am sure he was not thinking very clearly. Also, he didn't feel the police would believe in his innocence. He does have a line where he tells Evelyn that because he's a former professional fighter, they will just throw him in jail automatically. Maybe he's overreacting-- so we can add paranoia into the mix.

Wow.  I really enjoyed this movie.  I have never heard of it and it was just one noir surprise after another. Evelyn Keyes turned in a bravura performance.  And, speaking of bad days, boy was John Payne having one.  Fun seeing Frank Faylen in a decent sized role for a change but, the poor guy.  Does he always have to play a cab driver??

Lydecker

I haven't seen it in a while, but Evelyn Keyes pretending to try to seduce Brad Dexter was priceless. Great noir.

• Like 1

Another plus for this movie is Peggie Castle. While I loved her Westerns, it was good to see her in a contemporary role. Although her part was brief, she made the most of her scenes. A truly beautiful actress.

Terrence.

Yes, she was great, too.  Just a really well made noir.

Another plus for this movie is Peggie Castle. While I loved her Westerns, it was good to see her in a contemporary role. Although her part was brief, she made the most of her scenes. A truly beautiful actress.

Terrence.

I agree. This film is like a symphony and every actor/actress hits just the right note. Castle is another stand-out as Payne's straying wife. 

Honestly, there isn't one bad performance in 99 RIVER STREET. Even the animals in the pet shop scene are perfect! :)

I agree. This film is like a symphony and every actor/actress hits just the right note. Castle is another stand-out as Payne's straying wife. 

Honestly, there isn't one bad performance in 99 RIVER STREET. Even the animals in the pet shop scene are perfect! :)

Lydecker

The title, though, is a bit uninspired.

The title, though, is a bit uninspired.

Actually, I like the title. It suggests warehouses, docks, wharfs, cargo ships, bars, drunk sailors, loose women, in a sleazy part of town, especially at night. Ahh, my type of place. :)

99-river-street.jpg

I love this one too. It literally pulls no punches. I was struck (no pun intended) by the sheer physicality of the one on one violence in this movie - those fights are quite intense! And as has been pointed out, the cast is outstanding - Payne, Keyes, Castle, Faylen etc. - all given the chance to shine. It's one great noir (even if the whole "I killed a man" charade of Keyes' character's subplot seems farfetched). The under recognized director, Phil Karlson does an outstanding job again here.

• Like 4

Another interesting thing about 99 RIVER STREET is that it has a happy ending. We don't typically associate film noir as being '...and they lived happily ever after.' But in this case, they do!

MURDER MY SWEET is the first other noir I thought of that has a happy ending.

Actually, I like the title. It suggests warehouses, docks, wharfs, cargo ships, bars, drunk sailors, loose women, in a sleazy part of town, especially at night. Ahh, my type of place. :)

99-river-street.jpg

"Wham . . .It  hits you right in the teeth!?"  Fire the marketing department.

"Wham . . .It  hits you right in the teeth!?"  Fire the marketing department.

99 RIVER STREET CONDOS START AT $500,000 for a one-room dump with a hotplate and a window view of a blinking neon sign.

The CONDOS feature a bar on every floor and a poker room on every 3rd floor.

SPECIAL APARTMENTS FOR SINGLE DAMES, each apartment with a back entrance and a window with a fire escape ladder for quick egress during police raids.

TAXI CAB STOP LOCATED NEAR FRONT ENTRANCE.

JUST A SHORT DARK WALK TO THE EAST RIVER.

Riveer%20Street.jpg

BIJOU THEATER LOCATED NEXT DOOR, shows only B&W 4:3 films.

large.jpg?1361230239

• Like 1

99 RIVER STREET CONDOS START AT $500,000 for a one-room dump with a hotplate and a window view of a blinking neon sign.

The CONDOS feature a bar on every floor and a poker room on every 3rd floor.

SPECIAL APARTMENTS FOR SINGLE DAMES, each apartment with a back entrance and a window with a fire escape ladder for quick egress during police raids.

TAXI CAB STOP LOCATED NEAR FRONT ENTRANCE.

JUST A SHORT DARK WALK TO THE EAST RIVER.

Riveer%20Street.jpg

BIJOU THEATER LOCATED NEXT DOOR, shows only B&W 4:3 films.

large.jpg?1361230239

The locks on each apartment door are rather flimsy, so that the doors may easily be opened by a swift kick or a well-placed shoulder thrust.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings