Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I needed a break from film noir for a few hours. So last night I watched Three Days of the Condor. If one ignores the color, there are several aspects of film noir in this film. There are the night scenes with great lighting, the dialog is very good between Condor and Kathy and of course between Condor and his boss. At the very end we see French poetic realism with the poor future for Condor and the world too. Seeing the New York Times sign and the announcement that Condor had spilled the beans to the press, I immediately thought of Edward Snowden. The world hasn't changed has it.

• Like 1

Three Days of the Condor is a good film, and agree it had noir aspects. The lighting, the main charater's situation, Faye Dunaway as the femme fatale. It's hard for me to see R. Redford as a noir hero, though. He's too perfect looking, too handsome, if you know what I mean. Fred McMurray and Bogey were so believable because they weren't overly handsome. They were more relatable As for neo noir - I've been trying to think of recent films that might qualify. The lecture mentioned some obvious ones - Chinatown, LA Confidential. I was thinking of some of the films Clint Eastwood produced. I'm not crazy about him in a lot of ways, but was thinking of Mystic River, Million Dollar Baby which was excellent, but not a crime film. I don't know if anyone read the book Gone Girl. On plot alone this might qualify as noir, but I haven't seen the film.

One of the things I'm really enjoying from this class is seeing movies outside the realm of what I usually watch, and paying attention to the details.  Thank you for a new one to add to my list!

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings