Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

SlingTV - "Movie Not Available on This Device"

boib

I signed up with SlingTV just to get TCM and now when I'm trying to watch "Dracula, Prince of Darkness" at 11am ET, all I can see is a banner that "This Movie is not Available on This Device".

It looks like it's available on Watch TCM but since I don't have cable, I can't log in and confirm.

This is a sad, sad day :(

That's great that TCM is now available on Sling. If certain movies aren't shown, I think it's a rights issue. Streaming rights are an entirely different thing than cable rights so TCM has to negotiate them seperately with the film distributor. It's much like the Canadian rights  issue we hear about from some of our north of the border friends now and then. Probably, as time goes by fewer and fewer films will be blacked out as TCM can get additional rights.

I get TCM from satellite, but I have to say, if I  never was able to get TCM before, but suddenly could  for a fraction of what cable charges, I'd be so delighted, I wouldn't care if an occasional film was blacked out. After all "most is better than none".

• Like 2

I get TCM from satellite, but I have to say, if I  never was able to get TCM before, but suddenly could  for a fraction of what cable charges, I'd be so delighted, I wouldn't care if an occasional film was blacked out. After all "most is better than none".

Agree.  I just wasn't expecting it.  I dropped cable about 7 or 8 years ago and I was paying about $75 a month.  I missed two channels: TCM and PBS but they weren't worth $75 a month!  PBS I can get off air or on their web site.  Now I can get finally get TCM for $25/month and I'm loving it :)

Agree.  I just wasn't expecting it.  I dropped cable about 7 or 8 years ago and I was paying about $75 a month.  I missed two channels: TCM and PBS but they weren't worth $75 a month!  PBS I can get off air or on their web site.  Now I can get finally get TCM for $25/month and I'm loving it :)

I have a Roku and noticed Sling on it, so what other channels does that include? I don't think I'm ready to drop DirecTV just yet, but I know some people who might like Sling just to get TCM.

But don't you still have to pay cable for internet service? Comcast is my only option for high speed internet and the cost is $40.00 for their slowest speed so I would have to add that to what it would cost me to drop Dish and go with SlingTV. I would have to up my speed and pay Comcast more money. They seem to have this all worked out so that you really can't cut the cord completely.

I have a Roku and noticed Sling on it, so what other channels does that include? I don't think I'm ready to drop DirecTV just yet, but I know some people who might like Sling just to get TCM.

You can see the channels they offer at sling.com.  For me, I might watch CNN for catastrophe coverage and ESPN for college football but there's nothing else I'm interested in.  So, it's basically $25 for TCM :)

But don't you still have to pay cable for internet service? Comcast is my only option for high speed internet and the cost is $40.00 for their slowest speed so I would have to add that to what it would cost me to drop Dish and go with SlingTV. I would have to up my speed and pay Comcast more money. They seem to have this all worked out so that you really can't cut the cord completely.

Yes, but I use the internet for many things and I'm willing to pay for internet access even without access to TCM.

That's just the opposite of cable tv.  It's not worth it to me to pay $75 a month for tv when I only watch a couple of channels.

TCM on Sling ???

:lol::lol:

When I dropped Dish there were only two channels I would really miss. TCM was one of them.

Now, I can get 90% of what I actually watched on Dish, on Sling for $60 cheaper. 

"Oh the hills are alive with the sound of my favorite classic film channel !!"  I love the new techonlogy.

Guest TCMModerator1

Hi everyone

Just to let you know, if you have any questions about live streaming capabilities for Watch TCM on SlingTV, subscribers can contact them here:

http://help.sling.com

or call 1-888-893-9096

I hope this helps!

Since I only watch TV on a TELEVISION SET, I can't understand, nor have any sympathy for your difficulty.

Sepiatone

Since you incorrectly assumed that I don't watch on a television set, your lack of understanding and sympathy do not concern me.

I have a cable company I like, but costs are high. I complained. Finally I got a call from the "Executive Resolution" department of the cable company. They were wonderful -- they gave me Showtime and The Movie Channel for free for a year (I don't really need those premium channels, but they're nice to have for free); and they reduced my bill by more than $30.

I suspect the intense competition from other cable companies and other types of providers, as well as various non-TV methods of getting product (like Sling) may be driving my cable company's generosity at the moment.

I suspect the intense competition from other cable companies and other types of providers, as well as various non-TV methods of getting product (like Sling) may be driving my cable company's generosity at the moment.

It's rare that a cable company actually has to compete with another one on its own turf. Usually the community grants them an exclusive franchise to serve that area. Still, they do  have to compete with satellite and now streaming services. They won't say so in public, but as you found out, a call from a long-time good customer will often produce nice results when it comes to lower prices. It often helps if you have an offer from one of the "other guys" that you can quote from.

It's rare that a cable company actually has to compete with another one on its own turf. Usually the community grants them an exclusive franchise to serve that area. Still, they do  have to compete with satellite and now streaming services. They won't say so in public, but as you found out, a call from a long-time good customer will often produce nice results when it comes to lower prices. It often helps if you have an offer from one of the "other guys" that you can quote from.

We have three cable companies operating in my apartment building: RCN (my choice); FIOS; and Time Warner. And then there are all those other non-cable options. All that competition -- it's almost enough to make one believe that the American system works!

We have three cable companies operating in my apartment building: RCN (my choice); FIOS; and Time Warner. And then there are all those other non-cable options. All that competition -- it's almost enough to make one believe that the American system works!

New York City is a rare exception, in many ways, and having multiple cable companies is one of them. There's probably a few other larger cities with the same situation, but in the vast majority of the country communities have only one cable company.

Incidentlly, this probably doesn't matter to most people, but  FIOS isn't really  a cable company, it uses a different technology. It still needs to be granted a franchise though and isn't everywhere either.

Here in my city, FIOS has phone and internet service but no TV. Verizon and the city can't come to terms. Most people here hate Time-Warner cable and would love to see FIOS compete with them. As for me, I'm sticking with DirecTV.

New York City is a rare exception, in many ways, and having multiple cable companies is one of them. There's probably a few other larger cities with the same situation, but in the vast majority of the country communities have only one cable company.

Incidentlly, this probably doesn't matter to most people, but  FIOS isn't really  a cable company, it uses a different technology. It still needs to be granted a franchise though and isn't everywhere either.

Here in my city, FIOS has phone and internet service but no TV. Verizon and the city can't come to terms. Most people here hate Time-Warner cable and would love to see FIOS compete with them. As for me, I'm sticking with DirecTV.

FIOS gave my building (a coop, meaning we own our apartments) a large sum of money for permission to "wire" our building. FIOS is part of Verizon, which is the descendant of the old New York Telephone Co. My cell phone is with Verizon Wireless. But my television, Internet, and land line are with RCN. FIOS does not offer the TCM - HD channel, which I have with RCN.  Time Warner has a devoted clientele partly because they're the only cable company with NY1, an excellent local news and features program, which they own.

It was always the case that we had competition in the cable market in NYC. It used to be divided up by neighborhood or borough. I think parts of NYC may still be underserved by competition.

• 2 years later...

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings