Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Casablanca with full orchestra at the Royal Opera House

Swithin

Don't know about Casablanca, but the San Francisco Symphony Orchestra will be doing the same with several movies during their 2015-2016 season, including Vertigo and It's a Wonderful Life.

I've been to two such performances/screenings, but they were both for silent films: Ben Hur (1925) at SUNY-Purchase around 1989; and the thrilling Radio City Music Hall presentation of Abel Gance's Napoleon in 1980, conducted by Carmine Coppola.

I've been to two such performances/screenings, but they were both for silent films: Ben Hur (1925) at SUNY-Purchase around 1989; and the thrilling Radio City Music Hall presentation of Abel Gance's Napoleon in 1980, conducted by Carmine Coppola.

Hey, my girlfriend graduated from SUNY Purchase, and just finished teaching a course there. I think Wesley Snipes was in her graduating class (wrong thread, but what the heck ...)

I remember the Coppola event was heavily advertised, probably in the AFI Magazine. I saw Napoleon on BRAVO, but I don't recall if it was with the Coppola score.

Hey, my girlfriend graduated from SUNY Purchase, and just finished teaching a course there. I think Wesley Snipes was in her graduating class (wrong thread, but what the heck ...)

I remember the Coppola event was heavily advertised, probably in the AFI Magazine. I saw Napoleon on BRAVO, but I don't recall if it was with the Coppola score.

Purchase is a great school, as you know part of the State University of New York. Particularly strong in performing arts. When I went to that screening of Ben Hur, Irene Mayer Selznick was in the audience.

The Napoleon at Radio City was one of the great film experiences of my life. I later saw the version with the Carl Davis score, on British television (not an ideal way to see that film), but I think I preferred the Coppola. I'm waiting for every bit of every version of that magnificent film to be released on DVD, but I think rights issues have prevented that.

I caught Carmine Coppola and Napoleon at what was the O'Keeffe Centre in Toronto.  The ending really was spectacular when the screen opened up.

I also saw Philip Glass conducting Koyannisqatsi at Roy Thompson Hall in Toronto which was good too.  But I would love to see Philip Glass conducting his score for Dracula (1931) if that ever comes around.  The original Dracula had no music so it would be quite easy to overlay it.

I've seen quite a few silent films in London and sometimes they have modern DJ's doing what you would call score.  It just doesn't work at all.  It is like they are trying to outdo the movie instead of accompanying it.

• Like 1

The prices are steep but this looks to be an interesting performance, and I may be in London at the time. Has this been done before, with Casablanca? Anyone know anything about it?

http://www.roh.org.uk/productions/casablanca-live

From the look of the clip at the Royal Opera House web site it does appear that this has been done before somewhere.

It would be neat if they had a choir for the le Marseillaise.

• Like 1

From the look of the clip at the Royal Opera House web site it does appear that this has been done before somewhere.

It would be neat if they had a choir for the le Marseillaise.

The Marseillaise scene in Napoleon is brilliantly shot. It's silent -- but you can almost hear the cast singing to the music. The composer, Rouget de Lisle, is a character in the film as well.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings