Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hollywood Team Players (studio uses same cast/crew)

I was reading part 1 of this weeks topic and it brought up a good point on how hollywood would loan out production talent or crew to other productions or a same crew of people (Cast and Crew) work with each other so many times in various films. 

That brings me to this question - if you pay attention to the credits (opening and closing)  on various films how many times do you see the same names go by?  So many of the same cast and crew worked well with each other on old studio pictures but they even do the same thing today....such as

if you look at a John Carpenter film (when he was first getting started) look at how many of the same crew (even cast) worked on many of his films time and time again with each other. You see the DP Dean Cundey working with John on Halloween, The Thing, Escape from NY, Halloween II, Halloween III (the last 2 John just wrote and produced) but the same produces and same actors such as Charles Cyphers worked on all of those films.

Martin Scoresee, does the same things he works with the same cast and crew on various films, some he has worked with since the 70s and still working with today.

Even Ed Wood (B movie director) worked with the same cast and crew for mostly all of his films (for the same studio), most of them were flops. You can see that in Tim Burtons film "Ed Wood" 

Back in 2012 I worked on a Nicholas Sparks Feature film (Safe Haven), there were many crew members who have worked with each other over the years, the crew from LA just worked on a musical that was out in theaters Rock of Ages so they all knew each other. Then when I worked on another show (under the dome) the next year I saw most of the same crew from the year before and so on. I think just from my point of view the UPM (unit production manager) bring back as many of the same crew for various productions as they can because they all work well together. 

What do you think about the hollywood film system yesterday and today?

I was reading part 1 of this weeks topic and it brought up a good point on how hollywood would loan out production talent or crew to other productions or a same crew of people (Cast and Crew) work with each other so many times in various films. 

That brings me to this question - if you pay attention to the credits (opening and closing)  on various films how many times do you see the same names go by?  So many of the same cast and crew worked well with each other on old studio pictures but they even do the same thing today....such as

if you look at a John Carpenter film (when he was first getting started) look at how many of the same crew (even cast) worked on many of his films time and time again with each other. You see the DP Dean Cundey working with John on Halloween, The Thing, Escape from NY, Halloween II, Halloween III (the last 2 John just wrote and produced) but the same produces and same actors such as Charles Cyphers worked on all of those films.

Martin Scoresee, does the same things he works with the same cast and crew on various films, some he has worked with since the 70s and still working with today.

Even Ed Wood (B movie director) worked with the same cast and crew for mostly all of his films (for the same studio), most of them were flops. You can see that in Tim Burtons film "Ed Wood" 

Back in 2012 I worked on a Nicholas Sparks Feature film (Safe Haven), there were many crew members who have worked with each other over the years, the crew from LA just worked on a musical that was out in theaters Rock of Ages so they all knew each other. Then when I worked on another show (under the dome) the next year I saw most of the same crew from the year before and so on. I think just from my point of view the UPM (unit production manager) bring back as many of the same crew for various productions as they can because they all work well together. 

What do you think about the hollywood film system yesterday and today?

One key is casting.  In the studio system the producer was generally limited to actors already under contract.   Also they were pushed to promote certain actors.  This would sometimes lead to miscasting.    I point this out when someone ask 'why was So-and-so cast for that part,,, they weren't right for the part'.   Often the reason was that the producer was told they had to use that actor.    Often the best work by an actor was when they were loaned out because than the producer from another studio asked specifically for that actor.  e.g.  Olivia de Havilland two best performances while at WB were on loan out in Hold Back the Dawn and of course Gone With The Wind. 

Today,  producers are not limited to a set group of under contract actors.  

• Like 2

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings