Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
zaca52

Robert Alman's 1992 THE PLAYER

Is Robert Alman's 1992  THE PLAYER an 'over the top' Noir picture or  just simmering  right?

i'd have a hard time calling THE PLAYER a noir film. i think it was influenced by the noir genre, and it's a great film, but i wouldn't call it noir.

Is Robert Alman's 1992  THE PLAYER an 'over the top' Noir picture or  just simmering  right?

I wouldn't call The Player a Noir either.

I have a hard time with House Of Games also, it seemed too antiseptic more of a NIPO (noir in plot only), I didn't get the overwhelming noir visual vibe the first go round, some films just pay the barest minimum to the visual, I'll give it a second go one of these days.

I think HOUSE OF GAMES is a noir. It was made in a different era, and we cannot expect the visuals to look exactly like 1950. Even L.A. CONFIDENTIAL, which tries its best to emulate the old-time noir style visually, betrays its more modern origins.

I will suggest that Altman's Picture has strong Noir influence.  Firstly the shot compositions showing duality in characters  of  Griffin and others with strong use of shadows and blinds  even in daylight. Second the subtrafuge used between  Griffin and the police all in some very biting dialogue, three, the very cool acidly police man played by Fred Ward reminicent of  Dana Andrews at his cyncial low key best even without  a hat. Four the numourous film posters and objects that pop up in strange places  in backgrounds, in open drawers  that offer clues. Five  Altman's use of secondary characters is the story often is a passing crowd or in background. Perhaps this is an example of Neo noir elements.,,,not pure.

post-35584-0-95751600-1435539388_thumb.png

post-35584-0-95751600-1435539388_thumb.png