Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

♣ Old-time home video labels 'n' things . . . ♣

Mr. Gorman

Here are as many "old time" video labels as I can think of through the early '90s.  I figure if anyone reading this visited 'brick-and-mortar' video stores in the misty past then you'll have run across releases from some of these labels in those shops.  Maybe you'll even wax nostalgic or shed a tear.  (Yeah, right). 

-------------------------------------

Magnetic Video Corporation (1977-81)

20th Century Fox Video (1982 only)

CBS/Fox Video (1983- )

Key Video (instantly recognizable video box; a division of CBS/Fox Video)

Playhouse Video (used mainly orange video boxes; another division of CBS/Fox Video)

Wood Knapp Video - 

Allied Artists Video Corporation - existed from 1978-79.  Then . . . bankus ruptus!  I think it was September of '79.  Allied released over 100 titles on their label before going under.  (If anyone has a question if a Monogram/Allied title was released on AAVC I'll do my darndest to answer accurately.  I tried to hunt down used Allied tapes in the '90s and early 2000's.  I found 72 different titles on Allied out of about 105 they released.  Some I found but did not want like "Taffy and the Jungle Hunter" along with some Charlie Chan, Sherlock Holmes, Bomba the Jungle Boy and Charlie Chaplin movies.  I did not want to collect tapes I knew I'd never watch.  No way in Hell would I watch a 'Bomba' movie.  Yecch!).

Karl-Lorimar Video (later just 'Lorimar').  The 'Karl' was Stuart Karl (1953-1991).  He died of skin cancer at age 38.  Those Jane Fonda workout videos that were big sellers in the '80s were put out by 'Karl-Lorimar Home Video'.  You could likely still find used copies in decent condition on eBay or Amazon.

Fotomat Drive-Thru Video ► Embrace the old-time 'hut' logo!  Remember those free-standing kiosks?

Niles Videocassette, Inc.  (This is a really old, obscure label).

Time-Life Video (could have been a mail-order video club.  I found 2 movies on 'Time-Life' in thick, brown plastic cases with 'TL' etched into the case).

VIDCREST (I really like this low-rent label, but I can't exactly say why . . . ).

Electric Video, Inc. (existed from 1981-82)

Imperial Video Corp. (1983-84).  Same company as 'Electric', but with a different name.

Warner Home Video BIG CARDBOARD BOX releases.  Monster-sized and easily squished!

Warner Home Video clamshells -- after the easily-mangled big cardboard boxes came the clams . . .

MCA Videocassette, Inc. (the old 'rainbow' logo)

MCA Home Video (later became 'MCA/Universal)

Columbia 'white box' clamshells (these 'embedded clamshell' releases were groovy).

Columbia 'side flap' boxes (these came after the early 'white box' clamshell releases)

Paramount 'Gatefold Cartons' (hard to describe, but they have a small flap on them and open up wide).

Paramount/Gateway (the early '80s video boxes had a picture of a studio gate on the front).

MGM BIG SILVER book-style boxes

Walt Disney Home Video in the embedded white clamshell cases.

Unicorn Video Inc.   

Monterey Home Video 

MAGNUM Entertainment

VIDEO GEMS

SUPER VIDEO / Existed from 1984-86.  They issued some very unique video boxes.

Axon Video

Coast-to-Coast Family Entertainment

Continental Video

Wizard Video

TransWorld Entertainment

Program Hunters, Inc.

GoodTimes Home Video

Catalina Home Video (In business about a year . . . 1983/84).  I believe they ended up releasing 11 titles, but they had intended to release approx. 20.  I've got 8 of the 11.  The other 3 could be really tough to find).

Mogul Communications, Inc.

All-American Video (a division of Mogul)

Vestron Video

Lightning Video (a division of Vestron)

Harmony Vision (they utilized mustard-colored plastic cases to house their releases).

Thorn/EMI (later metamorphosed into HBO/Thorn and then HBO/Cannon Video and then just 'HBO Video').

VCI Home Video (same company as 'United)

United Home Entertainment (same company as 'VCI')

World Video

Worldvision Home Entertainment

PRISM Entertainment (This company released a lot of titles, including a sizeable # of TV movies)

A.N.E. Home Video (offshoot of PRISM).  The insert artwork for the clamshell cases all had a picture of an eagle on the front. 

U.S.A. Home Video (released over 100 Tv movies ▬ most of which were in MONSTER-sized boxes)

Thriller Video (The label where Elvira used to host a presentation segment before the movie came on)

Midnight Video (released 10 titles; ALL of which are collectible despite their badness).  ►  The logo was a skull in a black top-hat.  The video boxes were all over-sized monster boxes.  I knew 2 collectors from England who endeavoured to find all 10.  I even helped one out by purchasing "Bloodthirsty Butchers" circa 2007 cos the ebay seller wouldn't ship overseas.  The box art for these 'Midnight Video' releases was very eye-catching, but the movies were mostly dreadful.  A number of low-budget Andy Milligan flicks comprised over half of the 10 movies).   

IVE (International Video Entertainment)

Best Film & Video (I really dug their 'Twin-Pak' releases; there were 4 of them).  

I.U.D. Video (Independent United Distributors). 

MEDA Home Entertainment

Media Home Entertainment (the earliest releases from this company were 'MEDA').

VCL Video

KVC (Kartes Video Communications; a Scripps-Howard Company).

Embassy Home Entertainment

Charter Entertainment, an offshoot of Embassy

Paragon Home Video - ♥ Thy 'Gons!  Easily recognizable video boxes from this label.  Anyone who collects videos simply MUST dig Paragons.   

MexCinema Video Corp.

Fox Hills Video (I have 1 movie on this label:  "The Surrogate" (1984-Canadian).

VCII (an attempt by adult video company VCX to go "mainstream".  Some VCII releases were the Tvm's "The Sacketts", "The Guyana Tragedy:  The Story of Jim Jones" -&- "Murder In Texas" and even an Ingrid Bergman movie).

Questar/King of Video

Republic Pictures Home Video

Hal Roach Studios

Active Home Video (They released some movies I like in the mid-1980s).  

VIDMARK Entertainment

Lyon Video ► They released all of 1 movie:  The 1971 western "The Hunting Party".

FORUM Home Video  /  They released some decent titles.

Simitar Entertainment

raedon video:  They released movies in the late 1980s/early '90s.  ALIEN PRIVATE EYE, anyone?    

Donna Michelle video:  Released shot-on-video dreck.    

Genesis Entertainment

♦ A few Canadian video labels ♦

Astral Video (my favorite label; the blue-rooster-in-a-blue-circle). 

Pan-Canadian

White Knight Video

Premiere Entertainment (I've got a few of these)

Admit One

Interglobal Video (This has got to be the •worst• Canadian label; cheapo LP mode releases out the yin-yang.  Some early Interglobal releases -- circa 1985 -- were in SP mode.  The only 'SP' mode Interglobal tape I have is a movie aired very recently on TCM:  "Horror Express" (1972).  I bought it from a junky old video shop some 20 years ago and still have it perched upstairs). 

National Film Board of Canada (I've got 3 movies on their label).  

Vogue Video (I've had 1 movie on this label:  "Funeral Home" (1980-Canadian)).

Cineplex/Odeon

Cinema Video Theatre

IFS (Iver Film Services)  A UK-based video company that invaded Canada for a while in the '80s. 

▬some old-time adult video labels▬

VCX (this company released bunches of adult movies over the years).

Essex

AVC (Adult Video Corp.)  Rare as Hen's Teeth to find one of these anywhere in 2015.  

Astronics/Telecine, Inc.  (Most likely a mail-order video company).  Hen's Tooth rare as well.  

Command

Video-X-Pix

Quality X

Video Home Library

Cal-Vista

CCC (Caballero Control Corp.)

That's as many old-timey video labels as I can think of.     

I remember the first video (VHS) that I purchased. I didn't even have a video player yet, but as soon as I heard that King of the Zombies was available, I had to own it. The label was Video Yesteryear, out of Connecticut.

I think 'Video Yesteryear' was a public domain label. 

I have 1 tape on Video Yesteryear:  The 1936 Alfred Hitchcock movie "Sabotage". 

EDIT:  Forgot to ask if you still have the old "King of the Zombies" tape, Swithin? 

I think 'Video Yesteryear' was a public domain label. 

I have 1 tape on Video Yesteryear:  The 1936 Alfred Hitchcock movie "Sabotage". 

EDIT:  Forgot to ask if you still have the old "King of the Zombies" tape, Swithin? 

No, I'm afraid I ditched most of my VHS tapes when I got rid of my player and moved to a smaller apartment. Now I have a VHS player again, for professional reasons, but my only King of the Zombies is on DVD. As long as I can watch Madame Sul-Te-Wan say "Tahama cooks for the living, not the dead," I'm happy. And of course it's all over YouTube. And it was nominated for an Oscar!

tumblr_njvbp69oAd1skmvzoo1_r1_1280.jpg

• Like 1

No, I'm afraid I ditched most of my VHS tapes when I got rid of my player and moved to a smaller apartment. Now I have a VHS player again, for a professional reasons, but my only King of the Zombies is on DVD. As long as I can watch Madame Sul-te-Wan say "Tahama cooks for the living, not the dead," I'm happy. And of course it's all over YouTube. And it was nominated for an Oscar!

As long as I can watch Madame Sul-te-Wan say "Tahama cooks for the living, not the dead," I'm happy.

Nice ...

... little things like that mean a lot, ja!

===

♦ A few Canadian video labels ♦

Astral Video (my favorite label; the blue-rooster-in-a-blue-circle). 

This is probably the Pathe symbol.  Harold Greenburg and Astral owned Pathe Canada.  They had a lab and a mixing studio in Toronto and another in Montreal.  

You see Pathe on the old French gramophone records.

I used to have a Pathe tshirt but it eventually became the size of a postage stamp.

I only wish I could have rounded up more of those early-to-mid '80s Astral Video releases, Bogie, when they were easier to find.  I'm not complaining as I did find a bunch of them, but I'm still greedy for Astrals.  Call it a weakness.  

I know Astral released FIREBIRD 2015 A.D. but I've never been able to get hold of it.  Same with GOLDEN LADY. 

• 1 month later...

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings