Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM fails to pay proper homage to british horror great Christopher Lee

NipkowDisc

would these guys ever show an inferior print of The Third Man? :huh: how then have they properly payed tribute to Christopher Lee by not showing the 2012 restored BFI print of Hammer's Dracula from 1958? tcm's older Americanized cut does not have the fully restored sunlight disintegration climax.

I say Lee's passing rated tcm going to the trouble of getting a hold of it.

you're either going to do justice to the horror and science fiction genres and their icons or you are not. :angry:

would these guys ever show an inferior print of The Third Man? :huh: how then have they properly payed tribute to Christopher Lee by not showing the 2012 restored BFI print of Hammer's Dracula from 1958? tcm's older Americanized cut does not have the fully restored sunlight disintegration climax.

I say Lee's passing rated tcm going to the trouble of getting a hold of it.

you're either going to do justice to the horror and science fiction genres and their icons or you are not. :angry:

Put a stake in it. 

• Like 2

Just because the BFI has a restored version of it doesn't mean that TCM can get the rights to it. Even if they have the rights to the non-restored version, that doesn't mean TCM automatically gets the new restoration. That's not how it works.

Often, when an archive like BFI does a restoration, it's actually funded either by a studio or a third party which puts restrictions on what the archive can do with it.

• Like 2

Just because the BFI has a restored version of it doesn't mean that TCM can get the rights to it. Even if they have the rights to the non-restored version, that doesn't mean TCM automatically gets the new restoration. That's not how it works.

Often, when an archive like BFI does a restoration, it's actually funded either by a studio or a third party which puts restrictions on what the archive can do with it.

they woan bust a gut to get the bfi print then they shouldn't crow so much about what great cinemaphiles they be.

slackers be all, slackers! :) 

they woan bust a gut to get the bfi print then they shouldn't crow so much about what great cinemaphiles they be.

slackers be all, slackers! :) 

You have no idea what you're talking about. Getting the rights is more complicated than just saying they want to. It can take months or even years to clear the rights to certain films.

• Like 1

You have no idea what you're talking about. Getting the rights is more complicated than just saying they want to. It can take months or even years to clear the rights to certain films.

Take Hot Spell for example ...

• Like 1

Well ya know, like, I think it's kind of a shame that TCM didn't spend an extra 64¢ to buy the rights to air POLICE ACADEMY VII:  Mission to Moscow (1994).  I think Mr. Lee might have appreciated that.  I've always wanted to see it and my widdle feewings were crushified when I didn't see it listed on the Christopher Lee Tribute schedule.  Sniff.  Sigh. 

IDEA:  Perhaps TCM could air the 1991 made-for-Tv presentation SHERLOCK HOLMES AND THE LEADING LADY.  Lee is Holmes; the also-recently-deceased Patrick Macnee is Dr. Watson and Morgan Fairchild is Irene Adler.  Yes, THE_Morgan Fairchild.  But beware of shortened versions!  The full-length is 3 hours and the shortened version I've run across runs but 2.  Boo!  Hiss!  There's a lot of jarring quick-cuts in the shortened version.   

• Like 1

Christopher Lee was not a hollywood star and in many ways he was an Anti-Hollywood star.  His new fame using Dracula in 1959 was accepted poorly.

I saw Horror of Dracula in its first run in 1959.  When it began the rich colors and dreadful music put me in a fright mode.  It was 90 degrees outside.  But very cold in the theater.  Horror of Dracula was too good.  I know there was 20 seconds added at the end but the stakings were cut and that ruined the movie.  Britain back then was in competition with Hollywood.  And this competition caused Horror of Dracula to be destroyed.

TCM is good for certain films and stars but Christopher Lee is not TCMs darling.

this beautiful young woman became very old after being staked - using photographic effects

scg032608154611ix1.jpg

staked2_zps73547dd9.jpg

horror-of-dracula-original+%25281%2529.j

it was a real shocker never done in movies before. and an election year movie.

Christopher Lee was not a hollywood star and in many ways he was an Anti-Hollywood star.  His new fame using Dracula in 1959 was accepted poorly.

I saw Horror of Dracula in its first run in 1959.  When it began the rich colors and dreadful music put me in a fright mode.  It was 90 degrees outside.  But very cold in the theater.  Horror of Dracula was too good.  I know there was 20 seconds added at the end but the stakings were cut and that ruined the movie.  Britain back then was in competition with Hollywood.  And this competition caused Horror of Dracula to be destroyed.

TCM is good for certain films and stars but Christopher Lee is not TCMs darling.

this beautiful young woman became very old after being staked - using photographic effects

scg032608154611ix1.jpg

staked2_zps73547dd9.jpg

horror-of-dracula-original+%25281%2529.j

it was a real shocker never done in movies before. and an election year movie.

exactly. they are all to willing to shortchange horror and science fiction.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings