Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

BARBARELLA

HoldenIsHere

Someone posted on these boards (and I haven't been able to find the post) that he imagined seeing Jane Fonda's b-r-e-a-s-t-s during the opening of BARBARELLA when he first saw the movie as a kid.

I've just watched the opening of BARBARELLA for the first time (DVRed it from TCM) and there are definitely a few shots of her b-r-e-a-s-t-s.

Perhaps they are the b-r-e-a-s-t-s of her body double, but based on the shots (there's a shot with her brushing her hair from her face with her hand) they appear to be her own.

barbarella_t.jpg

Oddly enough, I never got around to seeing this flick until 1980, when some soon to be closed old Detroit movie house showed it.  I too, believe I saw them as well.

Sepiatone

I don't know what anybody saw for sure, but I imagine if somebody saw the "items in question" it depended on where they saw the movie.

Being a European film , such shots would have been acceptable over there and I'll bet it wasn't a body double either.  Still, it was pretty common, in the sixties, to do a little editing with something like that for the American release, especially if the film was being distributed by a major studio and was going to have a wide release in mainstream theaters, as opposed to a limited "art house' release. No question that the TV and airline versions would have been cut. 

Then again, maybe the original editing of that sequence was so good that, much like the shower scene in PSYCHO, audiences only thought that they saw something that they really didn't.

Hmm. I haven't seen BARBARELLA  in years, but maybe I better check it out.....just out of curiosity, of course.

The theatre I worked at in 1968 had no problem showing it to the kids at the Saturday matinee showing.

It's only a little pink nip for heaven's sake, and they are on screen very briefly.

But, oh my, what a babe!! Seeing her in 'Barbarella' and 'Spirits of the Dead' in the same year cemented Jane in my mind as one of cinema's hottest women ever.

• Like 3

I don't know what anybody saw for sure, but I imagine if somebody saw the "items in question" it depended on where they saw the movie.

Being a European film , such shots would have been acceptable over there and I'll bet it wasn't a body double either.  Still, it was pretty common, in the sixties, to do a little editing with something like that for the American release, especially if the film was being distributed by a major studio and was going to have a wide release in mainstream theaters, as opposed to a limited "art house' release. No question that the TV and airline versions would have been cut. 

Then again, maybe the original editing of that sequence was so good that, much like the shower scene in PSYCHO, audiences only thought that they saw something that they really didn't.

Hmm. I haven't seen BARBARELLA  in years, but maybe I better check it out.....just out of curiosity, of course.

The version that aired on TCM recently definitely showed the "items in questions" very clearly during the opening credit sequence.

The shots were brief, but there was one that lingered on a n-i-p-p-p-l-e for a few seconds. 

Yes, if you can watch the whole movie.

A certain herb helps one to enjoy that trip quite a bit more than does an herbless viewing.

Watching Jane peel off that spacesuit - I wanted to marry her in 1968. Watching it again this week, I want to marry her again.

• Like 3

A certain herb helps one to enjoy that trip quite a bit more than does an herbless viewing.

Watching Jane peel off that spacesuit - I wanted to marry her in 1968. Watching it again this week, I want to marry her again.

Ha! you got that one very right! (on all counts) :D  B)  :ph34r:

When I first caught Jane on screen in the early sixties, I thought she was the next best thing to Bridget Bardot, in hotness.

And I could understand Jane's french :)

I suppose the nipples and other nudity, all depends on when (and where) you first saw the film.

Per Wiki

Barbarella was released 10 October 1968, and it earned $2.5 million in North American theatre rentals in 1968. The film was the second most popular film in general release in the UK in 1968.

In 1977, the film was re-released in theaters as Barbarella: Queen of the Galaxy in an edited version that removed some nudity.

This edited version was released for the home video market on VHS, Betamax, CED disc, and Laserdisc.

Later video release versions on VHS, Laserdisc (Widescreen version), DVD, and Blu-ray disc use the 1977 artwork, the Queen of the Galaxy name, and the PG rating on the packaging, but the film in those releases is the original 1968 version.

The Blu-ray was released in July 2012 and features the 1968 theatrical trailer as the disc's only bonus feature.

I can attest that the version TCM aired was the 1968 "unedited" version.

The 1st video release of 'BARBARELLA' was most likely the 1979 Fotomat tape (on VHS and ßeta).  I've got a Fotomat VHS and I find "Barbarella" is one of those movies that's better off being viewed on tape.  The special effects aren't so obvious and because the Fotomat release is full-screen -- as you'd expect for 1979 - you can see Jane's upper frontals rather well.  (I could, anyway).  They're rather nice looking.  :)

ALSO:  To me, it benefits the movie that Jane plays it straight instead of camping it up. 

• Like 2

Love that, um, naval (among other things).

That is something they tried awfully hard to keep home audiences from seeing on I Dream of Jeannie (Barbara Eden's belly button).

Deprivation spawns desire.

I think that is when I discovered that I was a "naval" man.

:rolleyes:

• Like 2

My husband and I watched Barbarella for the first time a few months ago when it was streaming on Netflix.  It was one of those movies that you're watching (or maybe this just applies to the ladies, lol) and even though the film is ridiculously campy and not that great, you keep watching out of fascination for what nonsensical thing is going to happen next.  I agree with Mr. Gorman when he said that it was a benefit to the film that Jane Fonda played the role straight.  I agree.  If she'd played it tongue-in-cheek, I think it would have just made the film bad.  Fonda's performance is what saves the movie from being 1960s sci-fi trash to being a 1960s cult classic. 

I also thought Fonda was gorgeous in this movie and I watched with anticipation to see what crazy outfit she'd wear next. 

Also after watching this movie, I suddenly felt that I REALLY needed to start working out.  Lol.  Maybe I should get some of Fonda's workout tapes.

• Like 2

My husband and I watched Barbarella for the first time a few months ago when it was streaming on Netflix.  It was one of those movies that you're watching (or maybe this just applies to the ladies, lol) and even though the film is ridiculously campy and not that great, you keep watching out of fascination for what nonsensical thing is going to happen next.  I agree with Mr. Gorman when he said that it was a benefit to the film that Jane Fonda played the role straight.  I agree.  If she'd played it tongue-in-cheek, I think it would have just made the film bad.  Fonda's performance is what saves the movie from being 1960s sci-fi trash to being a 1960s cult classic. 

I also thought Fonda was gorgeous in this movie and I watched with anticipation to see what crazy outfit she'd wear next. 

Also after watching this movie, I suddenly felt that I REALLY needed to start working out.  Lol.  Maybe I should get some of Fonda's workout tapes.

She was gorgeous in that.  But I read a biography a few years ago that said she suffered from eating disorders for many years, even during her exercise tapes era, I believe.  By the way, I tried one of her tapes and injured my neck.  They're not for the weak of heart!

She was gorgeous in that.  But I read a biography a few years ago that said she suffered from eating disorders for many years, even during her exercise tapes era, I believe.  By the way, I tried one of her tapes and injured my neck.  They're not for the weak of heart!

My mother, aunt and even my grandmother used to workout to some of Jane Fonda's workouts.

My aunt especially really got into them.

Some of the workouts were pretty intense.

I thought Jane Fonda suffered from bulimia before the workout era.

I recorded it, but havent watched it yet. Was wondering if it was the edited version or not. She went into her eating disorders in her memoirs some years ago. Unsure if it lasted to her workout period.........

My mother, aunt and even my grandmother used to workout to some of Jane Fonda's workouts.

My aunt especially really got into them.

Some of the workouts were pretty intense.

I thought Jane Fonda suffered from bulimia before the workout era.

Maybe it she did, Holden.  The memory is the first to go....  If I still have the book I'll check, as now I"m curious.  Anyway, she always looked, and looks, gorgeous.

Well, can't find the biography, but in an interview Jane Fonda said she had the eating disorder for 25 years, until age 46.  That must have been very hard to stop after so many years, and in the interview she said doctors told her people usually aren't able to, but luckily she managed. 

• Like 1

That's exactly the reason we continued watching. It started weird and got more and more bizarre...sledding on "ice manta rays"... the killer dolls...the killer parakeets...the angel's nest...smoking "essence of man...it's chockfull of 1960's freakiness, with the added bonus of a plot (of sorts) unlike the Monkees' Head (now there's a movie that would probably benefit from application of a certain weed!).

• Like 2

That's exactly the reason we continued watching. It started weird and got more and more bizarre...sledding on "ice manta rays"... the killer dolls...the killer parakeets...the angel's nest...smoking "essence of man...it's chockfull of 1960's freakiness, with the added bonus of a plot (of sorts) unlike the Monkees' Head (now there's a movie that would probably benefit from application of a certain weed!).

Yes, I loved the freaky weirdness of this movie.

Barbarella-5270_5.jpg

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings