Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Yay! 4th of July Break

Glad we get a break this week from June 28 - July 4. As it gives me time to do the supplementary readings on how to analyze and articulate what I'm seeing as a film noir aficionado.

I've wanted to post more about the films we're seeing but I'm rather new to the language of film noir and film in general.

Hopefully this will help me be less intimidated to post. It may or may not but either way I know I am learning a lot in this class (film noir stylistic elements are now infiltrating my dreams, which are getting scarier thanks a lot ????).

In case you missed these supplemental readings, they're listed on Part 3 of "The Means."

• Like 3

i don't think anyone should feel intimidated, but i can understand why. One of the most interesting things i've discovered in this course is how differently we each see the same scene. i know a lot of that comes from outside influences; i notice the differences particularly from people who are film enthusiasts as compared to someone like me (i came to film noir through my love of pulps). my point is, we all have something to contribute, and it's always interesting to read someone else's take on the clips.

• Like 7

i don't think anyone should feel intimidated, but i can understand why. One of the most interesting things i've discovered in this course is how differently we each see the same scene. i know a lot of that comes from outside influences; i notice the differences particularly from people who are film enthusiasts as compared to someone like me (i came to film noir through my love of pulps). my point is, we all have something to contribute, and it's always interesting to read someone else's take on the clips.

Excellent point. Thanks.

• Like 1

I, too, am glad for the break but am also missing the Daily Dose. I guess this is good practice for next month when the course is over :(  I know the podcasts of Clute and Edwards will keep me busy for a while, but ....

• Like 1

I, too, am glad for the break but am also missing the Daily Dose. I guess this is good practice for next month when the course is over :(  I know the podcasts of Clute and Edwards will keep me busy for a while, but ....

The idea of the break sounded great on Monday but there it is Thursday and I am really missing those "daily doses!!"  Oh well, at least tomorrow is Friday, with its full day of movies.  It is going to be tough when the course is over!!  I am hoping TCM offers additional courses in the future.  This class has been a real adventure for me!!

• Like 1

yeah i kinda miss the daily patter of the daily doses

looking at tomorrow's schedule, there's a pretty good lineup

maybe i'll get on to discuss some of the movies

and we get a Cornell Woolrich adaptation to boot

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings