Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

HAIR, LONG BEAUTIFUL HAIR!

Palmerin

Judging from the shows you have watched over the years, which decade had the best hair styles?

I personally go gaga over the fashions of GILDA and her contemporaries; long abundant hair is so sexy!

In my opinion, Doris Day looked better in her early years, when she wore her hair long; the shorter hairdos for which she is best known were not as flattering.

Since I'm 64 and considered a "boomer", of course I'm going to go with the '60's. but....

Since you mentioned both GILDA and Doris Day, is your query centered on WOMEN'S hairstyles?

For ME, as far as that goes, it would be anytime from the mid '40's on.  Often, popular women's hairstyles would change SEVERAL times during a decade, so pinning it down to a "decade" isn't all that easy.  Plus, it's also subject to personal tastes.

A lot of other guys I know INSIST that a woman's hair( especially THEIR woman!) be long.  Now, my wife looks good in either long OR short hair, of course also depending how the short hair is shaped. 

So, like I said, depending on the SHAPE of the cut, there were times Day's short hair looked good on her, and other times the longer hair worked better.

Sepiatone

Since I'm 64 and considered a "boomer", of course I'm going to go with the '60's. but....

Since you mentioned both GILDA and Doris Day, is your query centered on WOMEN'S hairstyles?

For ME, as far as that goes, it would be anytime from the mid '40's on.  Often, popular women's hairstyles would change SEVERAL times during a decade, so pinning it down to a "decade" isn't all that easy.  Plus, it's also subject to personal tastes.

A lot of other guys I know INSIST that a woman's hair( especially THEIR woman!) be long.  Now, my wife looks good in either long OR short hair, of course also depending how the short hair is shaped. 

So, like I said, depending on the SHAPE of the cut, there were times Day's short hair looked good on her, and other times the longer hair worked better.

Sepiatone

I'm thinking also men's fashions; I just emphasize female fashions because, as a rule, they are the more flamboyant.

HEY! And speaking of "Shirley" here(and to help get Palmerin's thread back on track here)...

Now THERE'S a lady who I always thought looked BETTER with shorter hair...

shirley-jones-the-partridge-family.jpg

(...yep, cute as a button THAT one, alright!)

I like the longer hair styles for the women in the early-mid 1940s.  I think Stanwyck, Hepburn, et al look good with longer hair.  Rita Hayworth looked fabulous with her longer hair and shame on Orson Welles for bleaching and cutting it for LADY FROM SHANGHAI.  I also like Norma Shearer's hair in the late 1920s - early 1930s.  I don't know if her style is considered "shingled" but looks great on her.  The page boy styles for Louise Brooks and Colleen Moore looked very modern.  The hair I don't really like is the teased out, hairsprayed stiff styles of the early 1960s.

I like the longer hair styles for the women in the early-mid 1940s.  I think Stanwyck, Hepburn, et al look good with longer hair.  Rita Hayworth looked fabulous with her longer hair and shame on Orson Welles for bleaching and cutting it for LADY FROM SHANGHAI.  I also like Norma Shearer's hair in the late 1920s - early 1930s.  I don't know if her style is considered "shingled" but looks great on her.  The page boy styles for Louise Brooks and Colleen Moore looked very modern.  The hair I don't really like is the teased out, hairsprayed stiff styles of the early 1960s.

Yeah, I'd say I pretty much agree with ya here, Christine.

In fact, I always especially liked the hair on THIS young starlet of the 1940s in particular...

ava-gardner5.jpg

(...along of course with those perfectly arched eyebrows, that nose, those cheekbones, that jawline, those full lips AND that sexy little cleft in her chin) ;)

• Like 2

HEY! And speaking of "Shirley" here(and to help get Palmerin's thread back on track here)...

Now THERE'S a lady who I always thought looked BETTER with shorter hair...

shirley-jones-the-partridge-family.jpg

(...yep, cute as a button THAT one, alright!)

Shirley looked pretty nice with short or long hair (how about that role she played in Elmer Gantry?) :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Yeah, I'd say I pretty much agree with ya here, Christine.

In fact, I always especially liked the hair on THIS young starlet of the 1940s in particular...

ava-gardner5.jpg

(...along of course with those perfectly arched eyebrows, that nose, those cheekbones, that jawline, those full lips AND that sexy little cleft in her chin) ;)

Dargo,.while.I.agree with you about Ava, I'm wondering dude, did you ever check her out from the neck down lol?

Actually, Ava is one of those women who looked just as sexy with the short.50s.cuts, as they did with long hair. Others that fit this category imo are Marilyn Monroe, Lana Turner (especially in the 40s), Elizabeth Taylor and Gloria DeHaven. And I actually think that Rita Hayworth.looks great as.that Topaz Blonde for Orson's film, very sleek and refined, but she looked much better with her glorious red mane.

Other women that lost something when they went with shorter cuts in the late 40s and the 50s (which I've mentioned here before), include Ann Sheridan, Linda Darnell, Jane Greer, Lauren Bacall and Jane Russell.

In the non-sex symbol category, I think Joan Crawford's.short cuts from the late 40s on actually work to convey the ball-busting characters she often portrayed, giving her an even harder edge.

Edit. Among European stars, Brigitte Bardot long only, but Italian actresses like Gina snd Sophia, short or long works equally well. Which reminds me of that I Love Lucy episode, where they're in Rome, and Ethel tells Fred that none of the Italian actresses in a magazine "are all that much. Not one of them has got her hair combed". To which Fred replies, "Honey bunch, if the rest of you looked like that, I wouldn't care if you were bald".

• Like 3

I am a fan of the more "natural" looking hairstyles-- at least the ones that don't look like it took 3 hours and 20 lbs of product to achieve.  Hair that doesn't look like it has been processed within an inch of its life. 

While I don't know if I could pick a decade specifically, I have seen hairstyles from many eras that I liked-- probably not many that would look good on me, but ones that look great on the actress.

1920s

2nrncco.jpg

Louise Brooks' flapper bob is gorgeous, but would look terrible on me.  I like that it doesn't look like Brooks spent hours trying to achieve this look-- it looks like she just had a good haircut and good hair that was shiny, straight and lacking in annoying cowlicks. 

I am not a fan of the lacquered to the head hairstyles of the 1930s.  The severe parts, the finger waves and all the peroxide looked awful.  Combine that with the ridiculously thin eyebrows and it makes for a terrible look.  It would drive me crazy to have my hair glued to my head like that-- especially since the hair looks dirty. 

35ceom8.jpg

I love the 1940s hair.  While I don't think I would have the patience to do the curling that would be required to achieve Rita Hayworth or Lauren Bacall's hair, this is a hairstyle that I feel my hair could achieve because it's thick and also fine and fairly straight.

The early 1950s hair was awful.  The short, heavily curled in the back hair made the formerly gorgeous women in the 1940s suddenly look matronly in the 1950s, even though only a couple years had passed.  Other hairstyles seemed unusually flat. 

2efte2s.jpg

While this look wouldn't work on me at all, I think Audrey Hepburn's pixie cut was much more flattering and very glamorous.  For short haircuts like this, you have to have the right shaped face and the right look. 

I do not like the 1960s hairstyles that look like an entire can of hairspray was used to maintain it. The helmet hair look is very unflattering and ridiculous.  The short bobs with the little ends that flip out (Doris Day's 1960s coif, Laura Petrie on "The Dick Van Dyke Show," and Marlo Thomas' famous "That Girl" hairstyle, to name a few examples), are ugly.  My hair, if cut too short, will naturally make this hairstyle without any chemical or curling iron intervention-- I don't much care for it.  The bouffant and the beehive are equally awful hairstyles. 

I like the natural 1970s hair that is parted down the middle, bangs grown out, with the sides naturally making a wave, framing the face.  That's the look I'm going for with my hair, as that is the style it will do naturally without any other intervention aside from washing it and blow drying it (at least until it's not sopping wet, I blow dry until I get tired) and brushing it.  I'm not sorry to say that Marcia from The Brady Bunch is my hair idol right now.  Her hair is what I'm going for (except for maybe a little shorter, I don't have the patience for middle of the back length hair). 

The disco 1970s hair like Farrah Fawcett's and all the curls don't do anything for me.  The 1980s singlehandely ruined many women's hair with the harsh perm chemicals and horrible Aquanet mall bangs.  

I guess all in all after reviewing my choices, I'd say that the 1940s and 1970s were my favorite "hair era."

• Like 3

There are many different movies that I like the hair styles.  But probably one of the ones I like best is Weekend At The Waldorf.

Walter Pidgeon and Ginger Rogers meet each other, and Van Johnson and Lana Turner meet each other.  Two couples/two seperate substories.  Well actually even more substories than that.  But I'll focus pictures from these two.

Here are a couple shots from the movie.

Walter Pidgeon "borrowing Ginger's cigarette lighter.  The gold cord thingy that Ginger is wearing across the front of her dress adds to her look here.  I can't explain it because I am not a fashion guy, but I really like it.

Ginger%20Rogers%20Walter%20Pidgeon.jpg

This one's great, it happens toward the end of the movie, when each of them happen to rush past each other.  Pidgeon is rushing to catch a plane and Turner is rushing to find Van Johnson before he leaves.  They both notice each other and say "hey".  I thought that was kind of funny.

Lana Turner looks great with that little hat.  In the movie she has some really great close-ups.

Walter%20Pidgeon%20Lana%20Turner.jpg

Here are some production stills, not found in the movie

Lana%20Turner%20Van%20Johnson.jpg

Ginger%20Rogers%20Walter%20Pidgeon%203.j

Ginger%20Rogers%20Walter%20Pidgeon%202.j

=

Ginger%20Rogers%20Walter%20Pidgeon%20Lan

• Like 1

1920s

2nrncco.jpg

Louise Brooks' flapper bob is gorgeous, but would look terrible on me.  I like that it doesn't look like Brooks spent hours trying to achieve this look-- it looks like she just had a good haircut and good hair that was shiny, straight and lacking in annoying cowlicks. 

I wonder if Vidal Sassoon was a big Louise Brooks fan when he was a kid? ;)

The early 1950s hair was awful.  The short, heavily curled in the back hair made the formerly gorgeous women in the 1940s suddenly look matronly in the 1950s, even though only a couple years had passed.  Other hairstyles seemed unusually flat.  

Yep Speedy, I agree. You wouldn't happen to be thinking of Claudette Colbert and Jane Wyman here TOO, would ya?! ;)

2efte2s.jpg

While this look wouldn't work on me at all, I think Audrey Hepburn's pixie cut was much more flattering and very glamorous.  For short haircuts like this, you have to have the right shaped face and the right look. 

Absolutely.

I do not like the 1960s hairstyles that look like an entire can of hairspray was used to maintain it. The helmet hair look is very unflattering and ridiculous.  The short bobs with the little ends that flip out (Doris Day's 1960s coif, Laura Petrie on "The Dick Van Dyke Show," and Marlo Thomas' famous "That Girl" hairstyle, to name a few examples), are ugly.  My hair, if cut too short, will naturally make this hairstyle without any chemical or curling iron intervention-- I don't much care for it.  The bouffant and the beehive are equally awful hairstyles. 

Gonna slightly disagree with ya here Speedy, and while I too always thought Marlo's flip was overdone, I always thought MTM's flip looked pretty good on her in those earlier Dick Van Dyke Show episodes. And while I have a feeling you're gonna disagree on this, I always thought MTM's hairstyle she sported during the last season of that show here was very attractive on her especially...

5f63e18914c7a69725101540e1282640.jpg

• Like 2

I wonder if Vidal Sassoon was a big Louise Brooks fan when he was a kid? ;)

Yep Speedy, I agree. You wouldn't happen to be thinking of Claudette Colbert and Jane Wyman here TOO, would ya?! ;)

Absolutely.

Gonna slightly disagree with ya here Speedy, and while I too always thought Marlo's flip was overdone, I always thought MTM's flip looked pretty good on her in those earlier Dick Van Dyke Show episodes. And while I have a feeling you're gonna disagree on this, I always thought MTM's hairstyle she sported during the last season of that show here was very attractive on her especially...

5f63e18914c7a69725101540e1282640.jpg

I agree about MTM Dargo, especially when I remember her in an episode where she wore black tights and.........uh, oh yeah, nice inward flip hairdo.

• Like 1

There are many different movies that I like the hair styles.  But probably one of the ones I like best is Weekend At The Waldorf.

Walter Pidgeon and Ginger Rogers meet each other, and Van Johnson and Lana Turner meet each other.  Two couples/two seperate substories.  Well actually even more substories than that.  But I'll focus pictures from these two.

Here are a couple shots from the movie.

Walter Pidgeon "borrowing Ginger's cigarette lighter.  The gold cord thingy that Ginger is wearing across the front of her dress adds to her look here.  I can't explain it because I am not a fashion guy, but I really like it.

Ginger%20Rogers%20Walter%20Pidgeon.jpg

This one's great, it happens toward the end of the movie, when each of them happen to rush past each other.  Pidgeon is rushing to catch a plane and Turner is rushing to find Van Johnson before he leaves.  They both notice each other and say "hey".  I thought that was kind of funny.

Lana Turner looks great with that little hat.  In the movie she has some really great close-ups.

Walter%20Pidgeon%20Lana%20Turner.jpg

Here are some production stills, not found in the movie

Lana%20Turner%20Van%20Johnson.jpg

Ginger%20Rogers%20Walter%20Pidgeon%203.j

Ginger%20Rogers%20Walter%20Pidgeon%202.j

=

Ginger%20Rogers%20Walter%20Pidgeon%20Lan

I never cared for some.of the more extreme uplifted (or whatever they are called) hair dos of the war years (Ginger's here is a tame version). I understand about the war, women working in factories, etc. as a reason for their popularity, but not.my favorite look. But it does spell 40s nostalgia like nobody's business.

Otoh, Lana here demonstrates.my point about how well she looked with short hair. Another I forgot to mention that lost appeal with shorter hair was Veronica Lake, with that iconic peek a boo hairstyle; and which it was availed upon her to pull it back, sweep it up, etc. so that her fans would do the same, for the reasons mentioned above.

I never cared for some.of the more extreme uplifted (or whatever they are called) hair dos of the war years (Ginger's here is a tame version). I understand about the war, women working in factories, etc. as a reason for their popularity, but not.my favorite look. But it does spell 40s nostalgia like nobody's business.

Otoh, Lana here demonstrates.my point about how well she looked with short hair. Another I forgot to mention that lost appeal with shorter hair was Veronica Lake, with that iconic peek a boo hairstyle; and which it was availed upon her to pull it back, sweep it up, etc. so that her fans would do the same, for the reasons mentioned above.

Ginger Rogers often played tough-as-nails characters who began to realize the folly of their way, and become vulnerable to the "love interest" by the end of the movie.  So here she is in true form (by my definition).

She starts off as a veteran actress/diva who thinks she is quite happy in life.  Then between conversations with Walter Pidgeon and Leon Ames (her manager), and going to a society function or two, she realizes she is not very happy being single after all.  Compare that to her hair in the pictures.  Her hair is braided up in a tight bundle in the beginning of the movie, then by the end it is let down and relaxed, just like her character.

My favorite images of her that I uploaded are the 4th and 5th ones down, where she is with Walter Pidgeon.  Some of these pics actually don't do her justice.  I'd have to say her appearances in Weekend at The Waldorf are the most beautiful I have ever seen her.

I am a fan of the more "natural" looking hairstyles-- at least the ones that don't look like it took 3 hours and 20 lbs of product to achieve.  Hair that doesn't look like it has been processed within an inch of its life. 

While I don't know if I could pick a decade specifically, I have seen hairstyles from many eras that I liked-- probably not many that would look good on me, but ones that look great on the actress.

1920s

2nrncco.jpg

I am not a fan of the lacquered to the head hairstyles of the 1930s.  The severe parts, the finger waves and all the peroxide looked awful.  Combine that with the ridiculously thin eyebrows and it makes for a terrible look.  It would drive me crazy to have my hair glued to my head like that-- especially since the hair looks dirty. 

35ceom8.jpg

I love the 1940s hair.  While I don't think I would have the patience to do the curling that would be required to achieve Rita Hayworth or Lauren Bacall's hair, this is a hairstyle that I feel my hair could achieve because it's thick and also fine and fairly straight.

2efte2s.jpg

I like the natural 1970s hair that is parted down the middle, bangs grown out, with the sides naturally making a wave, framing the face.  That's the look I'm going for with my hair, as that is the style it will do naturally without any other intervention aside from washing it and blow drying it (at least until it's not sopping wet, I blow dry until I get tired) and brushing it.  I'm not sorry to say that Marcia from The Brady Bunch is my hair idol right now.  Her hair is what I'm going for (except for maybe a little shorter, I don't have the patience for middle of the back length hair). 

The disco 1970s hair like Farrah Fawcett's and all the curls don't do anything for me.  The 1980s singlehandely ruined many women's hair with the harsh perm chemicals and horrible Aquanet mall bangs.  

I guess all in all after reviewing my choices, I'd say that the 1940s and 1970s were my favorite "hair era."

The ugly hairdos and fashions of the 1930s are such an eyesore that they make it very difficult for me to watch movies from that period; the same applies to the 1950s and the 1960s. The hairdos of the 1940s, on the other hand, are so attractive that sometimes I keep the TV on a movie I'm not actually watching just to admire the beauty of the women in it; Laraine Day certainly looked cute in the DR. KILDARE movies that were broadcast months ago.

One famous hair fashion victim of the 1960s is Queen Mother Sophia of Spain, who has stuck all her life to the Jacqueline Kennedy helmet, even though it went out of fashion decades ago. Really a pity, for she is a handsome woman.

Let's not forget male fashions. Do all Mafiosi really wear the greasy slicked back style so noticeable in THE GODFATHER, GOODFELLAS and CASINO? (Goodness, the women in all those movies really have UGLY hair!)

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings