Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

MAME article

drednm

There are a few things wrong with that article.  However, the biggest issue with MAME, is Lucy simply plays the role as 100%  charmless.  Not only that, but the script insists that when Vera fires off a glib line, Mame has to one up her, making her seem mean, at times.  Never mind, that she's utterly incapable of singing or dancing the role.  Another, in a long line of Hollywood adaptations of Broadway musicals, that is inept.  You would think that by the time they made MAME, Warner's would have learned from their past casting mistakes. 

• Like 2

Those who read the article & watch the Lucille Ball musical "Mame" (1974) can't say they haven't been warned.

I'm one of those (the few) who find MAME enjoyable. Sure there are a lot of things that could be improved. But Bea Arthur and Robert Preston make it a joy. And I think Lucy, woefully miscast as she is, still manages to turn in an admirable performance.

The Lucy/Desi Museum in Jamestown NY had several of the costumes from this movie on display. They were gorgeous. In the scene of Lucy in riding clothes, the crop she carries is Desi's. He was an avid horse rider.

• Like 1

On one of the episodes of I Love Lucy there was a situation where Lucy had to ride a horse in riding gear for a fox hunt similar to what Mame had to do.  Of course the show was hilarious and when it came to casting the movie someone must have remembered the episode and thought Lucy would be a natural.  She did her own singing on Broadway in Wildcat and was sufficient enough so why not?  Well, the rest is history.  Some approved some didn't.  What can you do.  Sorry Angela.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings