Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Extra reading for Investigating Film Noir

Has anyone tried to get through the first extra reading suggestion for week 4, "Narratological Film Analysis".

Even if I could have slogged my way through this, it would have taken the joy out of watching these great movies. Sorry, Doc. I think you should have left this buried in the vault of academia.

Or am I wrong?

Has anyone tried to get through the first extra reading suggestion for week 4, "Narratological Film Analysis".

Even if I could have slogged my way through this, it would have taken the joy out of watching these great movies. Sorry, Doc. I think you should have left this buried in the vault of academia.

Or am I wrong?

The definition of terms comes in handy if you read some of the other (admittedly academic) articles on film noir.  I thought that thinking about the "point of view" does add an interesting element to thinking about how the story of a film is told.   Having said that, the article is a "slog".

I understand your point about that site in particular being a bit of a slog. I get it. But we have 20,000 students and some of them wanted to know more about the academic/critical studies side of film analysis. I put it up to show all sides and approaches regarding how film noir can be analyzed from the mass popular to the scholarly critical dimensions. 

My goal for each individual student is to encourage you to find the language for these films that brings out their soulfulness, their meaning, their importance for you.

I absolutely am not trying to get the students in this class to all start highly technical narratological explorations, but if you do start to read some of the more university press style books on film noir, it's a handy guide to some of the terms you will encounter in those kinds of film noir studies.

Hope you are enjoying the course. 

• Like 2

I understand your point about that site in particular being a bit of a slog. I get it. But we have 20,000 students and some of them wanted to know more about the academic/critical studies side of film analysis. I put it up to show all sides and approaches regarding how film noir can be analyzed from the mass popular to the scholarly critical dimensions. 

My goal for each individual student is to encourage you to find the language for these films that brings out their soulfulness, their meaning, their importance for you.

I absolutely am not trying to get the students in this class to all start highly technical narratological explorations, but if you do start to read some of the more university press style books on film noir, it's a handy guide to some of the terms you will encounter in those kinds of film noir studies.

Hope you are enjoying the course.

I want to add how much I am enjoying the course. Film Noir is a favorite of mine. To be able to get the much greater depth this excellent online course has offered has been a lot of fun.

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings