Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Why isn't GOJIRA ever shown?

Kay

You know, the original Japanese version of Godzilla. I've watched the U.S. version of a couple of times on TCM, which is pretty funny for the ridiculous insertions of Raymond Burr looking dazed and stalking around with some Japanese people. Obviously the editing was pointless except for the occasional guffaw, and by now I'd like to see the real one. It actually looks like a pretty good film, and it would be nice to watch a great actor like Takashi Shimura deliver his lines first-hand, rather than Raymond Burr asking "What's he saying?" and some other ****'s summary.

So has TCM shown the original before? I don't get the impression it's a lost film.

• 4 weeks later...

TCM finally showed 'Gojira' for the first time about a year or so ago.

I remember there were posts expressing how much better a movie it is than the American 'King of the Monsters' bastardization.

For some reason, it has not had a 2nd showing.

TCM finally showed 'Gojira' for the first time about a year or so ago.[...]

That recently? I'm surprised I didn't notice it. They sometimes schedule it under it's original name, regardless, which doesn't make matters any less confusing. Thanks for letting me know. I hope it gets another showing some time soon. (And that RO stops calling the Burr-ed version the original.)

That recently? I'm surprised I didn't notice it. They sometimes schedule it under it's original name, regardless, which doesn't make matters any less confusing. Thanks for letting me know. I hope it gets another showing some time soon. (And that RO stops calling the Burr-ed version the original.)

Actually, it's been 3 years. June 2012. Time is moving incredibly fast for me!

Here's a thread from that time:

http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/40345-i-thank-you-tcm-for-the-night-of-excellent-movies/?hl=gojira

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings