Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Which version? "Three Musketeers" Silent.

oranjtulip

Sorry to bother you all again. But this has been bugging me and I don't know who else to ask (the response I got last time on this forum was so quick and accurate, I am still ecstatic. :) ) and I am hoping that this version is available on DVD, but I don't know which version it is, so I am hoping someone could help me.

A few years ago, (please remember I haven't had TCM in over a year, so if it has re-aired, I apologize.) TCM aired a silent version of a Three Musketeers movie (I am not even positive if that's the exact title as I know there are variations that exist.) What stood out about this movie is that in this movie, I believe every scene, was hand painted in a beautiful variety of color, but not the entire frame. Just certain things in each frame were painted in color. It was simply stunning!

Does anyone remember this movie? If so, what was the exact title and what was the version/year of this movie? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

I'll bet you're thinking of the silent French 1923 Cyrano de Bergerac, which is beautifully hand-tinted in color, exactly as you describe -- not full color, just striking highlights -- and which played about a year ago on TCM. (It also ran this past Sunday at 12:30 am, in the Silent Sunday Night slot.) Not quite Les trois musquetaires but the same period and setting.

It was "Cyrano de Bergerac"? How did I confuse that with "The Three Musketeers"? I could have sworn it was "The Three Musketeers".

Anyway, I am just glad someone knew what I was talking about, especially after having the title completely wrong (which in this case would lead to the wrong storyline as well. Yikes!)

Thank you so much for your help!

Easy to take for a 3 Musketeers picture -- costumes, setting (France abt 1640), general ambience -- Cyrano wears a hat with a big plume, tights, &c, duels in the streets. He's more eloquent than d'Artagnan (harder to tell in a silent pic) but he does have a bigger nose.

Amazon offers it on DVD.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00004W19B/qid=/sr=/ref=cm_lm_asin/002-1865777-7708826?v=glance