Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Hibi

BAD MOVIE ALERT: MAME

Oh man. Hope they had some EMTS standing by for that one.

I take your word for it- never having seen a substantial amount of THREE... or FOUR...

The only two films I can ever recall seeing Raquel in were THE LAST OF SHEILAH, and she is lovely to look at and embarassing to watch, and her "special guest appearance" in LEGALLY BLONDE and her craft has not improved with time.

ps- who'd you put odds on, Raquel or Faye?

In "real life" I would say Faye.  

Raquel Welch was good in THE THREE MUSKETEERS though. 

I like the humor she brought to the role of Constance and of course her fight scene with Faye Dunaway.

Her 'greatest' role had to be in Peter Cook and Dudley Moore's Bedazzled (1967) as Lillian Lust, the Babe with the Bust.

• Like 1

Her 'greatest' role had to be in Peter Cook and Dudley Moore's Bedazzled (1967) as Lillian Lust, the Babe with the Bust.

I. Love. That. Movie.

• Like 1

they did a recent musical of the Tracy/ Hepburn film?

Oh, no that was decades ago. I think in the 80s.....

• Like 1

The same can be said of THE WIZ. Why didn't its producers cast a newcomer with the talent of a Garland, instead of forcing Diana Ross to play a grown woman with the mind of a child?[/quote

It was not entirely the producer's fault. I think it was Pauline Kael who said Ross must have had a "whim of iron" in taking on the role, which rightly should have gone to an AGE APPROPRIATE talented newcomer. So instead we get to watch this grown woman ( who should have known better) weeping constantly and quite unattractively twisting the part to excuse her playing a role originally intended for a young adolescent. Ross should not only be ashamed of her abysmal performance, but also the opportunity she took from a potential valid contender for the role.

As The Wiz is going to be a television production next year, hopefully the casting will be faithful to the musical's original conception.

• Like 1

Re: : Raquel Welch winning the Golden Globe for The Three Musketeers-

Actually, she got a fair amount of critical praise that year from surprised critics who noted some comedic talent from the actress who previously was known almost entirely for her "visual appeal". That surprise - "Gee, the girl may actually have some talent!" - may have earned her a degree of praise and attention for the part than an already establised actress doing equally well might not have gotten. ("Most Improved Award") Since that film was a box office hit and not the bomb that was "Mame", it is not surprising that Welch won over any "Mame" contender.

Re: : Raquel Welch winning the Golden Globe for The Three Musketeers-

Actually, she got a fair amount of critical praise that year from surprised critics who noted some comedic talent from the actress who previously was known almost entirely for her "visual appeal". That surprise - "Gee, the girl may actually have some talent!" - may have earned her a degree of praise and attention for the part than an already establised actress doing equally well might not have gotten. ("Most Improved Award") Since that film was a box office hit and not the bomb that was "Mame", it is not surprising that Welch won over any "Mame" contender.

Yes, agreed. They couldnt very well award it to Lucy without a firestorm of laughter and criticism.............

Oh, no that was decades ago. I think in the 80s.....

oh I get it, you guys are talking about Raquel Welch. I thought you were talking about Molly Shannon who played the lady with the Orangatang arms that Elaine worked with.

oh I get it, you guys are talking about Raquel Welch. I thought you were talking about Molly Shannon who played the lady with the Orangatang arms that Elaine worked with.

Yes. Molly Shannon, I couldnt remember her name. Dont think she starred in any Woman of the Year revivals (but cant be sure!) :D

• Like 1

yeah that is pretty bizarre. may be the most bizarre thing I've heard all day....(Raquel must have worked overtime with the Hollywood Foreign Press to bring home that one.)

Not as hard as Pia Zadora.  ;)

• Like 1

LOL.

True...although it is a strange fact that the Golden Globes, time and again, make better choices and reward deserving actors, movies and shows than the Oscars or Emmys.

TheThreeMusketeers044.jpg

I would love to see this rendered as a GIF with Faye flying through the air and kicking her feet like Liu Kang from MORTAL COMBAT.

• Like 1

I keep trying to find data out just how much (or how little) MAME made at the box office. Wikipedia doesn't have them, but refers to the grosses as "lackluster." Imdb doesn't have it. Box Office Mojo doesn't have it. Everyone keeps calling it a "bomb," and I know the budget was $12 million, but I'm curious as to how much it did manage to make.

LornaHansonForbes--Re how much money Mame (1974) made: Box-office mojo (Bom) has a note among all their small print that gives a good idea--Bom doesn't keep information on films that grossed less than 2 million dollars--they had information on When Time Ran Out (1980), an Irwin Allen bomb that was budgeted at 20 million & grossed 3.5 million at the box office--You can reasonably assume Mame (1974) lost at Least 10 million dollars.

LornaHansonForbes-You can reasonably assume Mame (1974) lost at Least 10 million dollars.

AYE CARUMBA!

(THAT IS SOME SERIOUS CHANGE!)

• Like 1

I keep trying to find data out just how much (or how little) MAME made at the box office. Wikipedia doesn't have them, but refers to the grosses as "lackluster." Imdb doesn't have it. Box Office Mojo doesn't have it. Everyone keeps calling it a "bomb," and I know the budget was $12 million, but I'm curious as to how much it did manage to make.

I cant recall exactly how much it grossed either, but it did do well at Radio City where it grossed 2.7 million during its run as the Easter attraction. Grosses elsewhere were lackluster.  I doubt it grossed the 12 million it cost to make......

• Like 1

LornaHansonForbes--Re how much money Mame (1974) made: Box-office mojo (Bom) has a note among all their small print that gives a good idea--Bom doesn't keep information on films that grossed less than 2 million dollars--they had information on When Time Ran Out (1980), an Irwin Allen bomb that was budgeted at 20 million & grossed 3.5 million at the box office--You can reasonably assume Mame (1974) lost at Least 10 million dollars.

Well, that cant be true as it grossed 2.7 million at Radio City alone. It probably grossed somewhere around 6 or 7 million in the U.S.....

• Like 1

Hibi--Next time I'll try the Radio City Music Hall website (I assume one exists).  I should have thought of doing that myself--thanks for the information.

Wikipedia lists Mame as having a budget of $12 and grossing a hair over $6M.... Whether that includes international, it does not say.

Wikipedia lists Mame as having a budget of $12 and grossing a hair over $6M.... Whether that includes international, it does not say.

That sounds about right. I doubt that includes overseas grosses (probably not much).

Thanks, now that you mention it: I see it. (Don't know why I missed it before, I am famous for missing things right under my nose.)

$6 mil in 1974 wasn't chump change- and considering how bad the film was, it's respectable. If the film had been worth a damn, it might well have done great business.

ps- it's crazy it cost so much money to make, there's just no reason for it, it's a pretty intimate story told on mostly one set, you could've done it for half as much as they did. 

• Like 1