Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

IRONY? or not?

Sepiatone

Sacracastic remarks are probably the most commonly heard examples of ironic speech (where the intended meaning is different---usually the opposite---of the literal meaning).

For irony to exist in created texts (whether literary or media texts) there must be intent on the part of the creators.. Since there is no intent in the 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY example there can be no irony. 

So how about in situations?

Like the truck carrying a load of tires having a flat tire.  Is THAT ironic?  Or not?

Or, if NOT, then WHAT?

Sepiatone

So how about in situations?

Like the truck carrying a load of tires having a flat tire.  Is THAT ironic?  Or not?

Or, if NOT, then WHAT?

Sepiatone

If this is irony it's probably representing some really low level. But I suspect it is not. It is simply a situation standing alone without a wider context. It's just a truck carrying a load of tires that just happened to get a flat tire. It probably doesn't rise to the level of irony. Remember the oft quoted, "It is not irony if it rains on your wedding day."

But I don't know for sure. it might slip under the wire of one of myriad definitions that seem to embrace irony. But I would cast a nay vote.

EDIT: I've emailed an English professor at my local college, asking about this. I've asked for a brief explanation why or why not?

Edited by laffite

If this is irony it's probably representing some really low level. But I suspect it is not. It is simply a situation standing alone without a wider context. It's just a truck carrying a load of tires that just happened to get a flat tire. It probably doesn't rise to the level of irony. Remember the oft quoted, "It is not irony if it rains on your wedding day."

But I don't know for sure. it might slip under the wire of one of myriad definitions that seem to embrace irony. But I would cast a nay vote.

EDIT: I've emailed an English professor at my local college, asking about this. I've asked for a brief explanation why or why not?

John, you would be better off querying
a linguist--I would say, as a layman, not a professor,
that something is off in the example that makes it
not quite ironic.

I know, unsatisfying, but it's all I got.

Cheers,

Bill

----