Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

MISS FIRECRACKER

HoldenIsHere

Airing tomorrow (July 4, 2015) on TCM is MISS FIRECRACKER, adapted by Beth Henley from her play The Miss Firecracker Contest.

Starring as contest hopeful Carnelle Scott is Holly Hunter, reprising the role she played in the play.

In addition to Hunter, the movie also features wonderful performances by Mary Steenburgen (as Carnelle's cousin Elain, a former Miss Firecracker) and Alfre Woodard (as seamtress Popeye Jackson).

Alfre Woodard has said in interviews that Popeye Jackson is her favorite film role. 

For me, the weakest link in the movie is Tim Robbins (as Carnelle's cousin and Elain's brother), mostly because his Southern accent sounds so fake compared to the authentic-sounding accents of Holly Hunter and Mary Steenburgen. 

miss-firecracker-1988.jpg

YooniqImages_102317755.jpg

Miss-Firecracker.png

missfirecracker-two.jpg?token=VYtK3nKnv6

291857_full.jpg

1691462,ZIPp_ZrhMBsQR1mNUksR_qhMKuWNa0vM

miss-firecracker-original1.jpg

Which of these beauties will claim the coveted title of Miss Firecracker in Yazoo City, Mississippi's annual Fourth of July pageant?

• Like 3

Thanks for the reminder to watch MISS FIRECRACKER. I am a transplant to Mississippi, and the movie will be a first time viewing for me. As far as I could find, the movie was made in Yazoo City, MS. which is in the Delta. Last Saturday night The Mississippi Pageant 2015 was held in Vicksburg, MS. The winner was Miss Southern Mississippi, and she will compete in the Miss America Pageant in September.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reminder to watch MISS FIRECRACKER. I am a transplant to Mississippi, and the movie will be a first time viewing for me. As far as I could find, the movie was made in Yazoo City, MS. which is in the Delta. Last Saturday night The Mississippi Pageant 2015 was held in Vicksburg, MS. The winner was Miss Southern Mississippi, and she will compete in the Miss America Pageant in September.

Yes, the movie MISS FIRECRACKER is set and was filmed in Yazoo City, Mississippi.

In Beth Henley's play The Miss Firecracker Contest the action is set in Brookhaven, Mississippi.

• Like 1

I'm looking forward to seeing this movie. It sounds like great fun. For some reason,I don't remember this movie at all. Did it do much business the first time around? With a cast like this, it should be great entertainment.

Terrence.

Also in the film is the wonderful Delta Burke, who has an unbilled cameo--her best line I can't quote. :)

The wonderful Ann Wedgeworth also has a role as Miss Blue, the pageant director.

It's her voice at the opening of the trailer saying: "Only one of those fahv will be cray-owned Miss Firecracker."

3685539.jpg

• Like 2

The wonderful Ann Wedgeworth also has a role as Miss Blue, the pageant director.

It's her voice at the oipening of the trailer saying: "Only one of those fahv will be cray-owned Miss Firecracker."

3685539.jpg

She was great in Steel Magnolias. I best remember Ann Wedgeworth on the soap Another World. Got to watch this wonderful actress on the soap practically everyday. So glad you thought of her Holden  ;)

• Like 1

It's her voice at the oipening of the trailer saying: "Only one of those fahv will be cray-owned Miss Firecracker."

3685539.jpg

Ann Wedgeworth played Jessica Lange`s mother in the Patsy Cline biopic SWEET DREAMS. I thought that she was young for the role.

• Like 1

She was great in Steel Magnolias. I best remember Ann Wedgeworth on the soap Another World. Got to watch this wonderful actress on the soap practically everyday. So glad you thought of her Holden 

Although her role in MISS FIRECRACKER is not a large one, Ann Wegeworth makes a big impression.

I had forgotten about her and Trey Wilson singing "Itsy Bitsy Teeny Weeny Yellow Polka Dot Bikini" during the swimsuit competition of the pageant until I saw the movie again recently.

I didn't see Delta Burke in the movie though.

I love Alfre Woodard. I've seen several of hers. The first movie I saw was on BET, she played the mother of a famous basketball player who had nine siblings (all by Woodard's character). I thought she was wonderful. I tried to find that movie later but it didn't seem to be available anywhere. Damn, I can't even think of the name of the player, a player in real life, NBA star, a high profile name. It wasn't a biopic though, it was about a mother's effort to keep her children free of the gang culture. Now that I'm reminded I may try to find it again. It was a TV movie, I believe. Anyone else know it?

Delta Burke was the one dressed all in lavender, with a big lavender hat & 2 white orchids(?), with the dangly 80's earrings & 4 ropes of pearls, with the photographer--she is definitely in the trailer for the film that is posted.

That was Ann Wedgworth.

Ann Wedgeworth played Jessica Lange`s mother in the Patsy Cline biopic SWEET DREAMS. I thought that she was young for the role.

I thought she deserved an Oscar nomination for that (supporting), but she didnt get one..........

Ann Wedgeworth was also funny as Lana on THREE'S COMPANY.

She was hot for John Ritter and Don Knotts was hot for her.

Ah, the good old days of Nick At Nite.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings