Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Prizefighter and the Lady

ron

Apparently many boxing historians were not aware that this little nugget which is of value to the boxing community was shown the other night. This movie contains so much historical boxing figures that it is a much sought out movie. It's a treasure that contains so much valued footage that I ask TCM Programmer to please reschedule this move ASAP. In addition I think ESPN Classic would be a fine outlet to show this film.

here is a boxing message board that is frothing at the mouth to see this little gem.

http://p068.ezboard.com/fcyberboxingzonefrm3.showMessage?topicID=1702.topic

I caught this film a few years ago and was happy I taped it. I agree that it is an exceptionally fascinating film from a historical standpoint. Seeing Max Baer onstage performing in musical numbers is a sight to see and every time I view The Harder They Fall, which isn't that often, I can't help but think of The Prizefighter and the Lady. According to Leonard Maltin, the film was issued on Laserdisc. I wonder if Warner would ever consider putting it out on DVD, or would the market be too slim?

If you caught the movie Ladies Day earlier this month (most didn't it was shown on a Sunday around 4:30 A.M.) you were able to see a startling difference between the Max Baer in The Prizefighter and The Lady and Max Baer in Ladies Day, some eight years later. The guy was completly out of shape and looked as though he weighed 300 lbs.

• 4 months later...