Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Noirs with Flashbacks

lydecker

Where to begin? But if you also include movies where a midpoint or the ending of the movie serves as the first scene, you've got

High Wall

The Killers

Out of the Past

Detour

The Killing

I Wake Up Screaming

Vicki

Dead Reckoning

Mildred Pierce

Possessed

Blue Gardenia

Casablanca (if you can call that a noir)

Nightfall

D.O.A.

Etc., etc.  It's almost harder to name noirs without flashbacks than it is to name noirs that have them.

• Like 2

Richard Kimble thanks for mentioning The Locket. I do not have cable so I haven't been able to watch the Summer of Darkness film series but looking over the schedule I was surprised to see that The Locket was not on the list of films being shown. Here are a few more with flashbacks:

The Mask of Dimitrios

The Chase

Criss Cross

The Black Angel

The Woman in the Window

Pursued  (western noir)

Christmas Holiday

Brute Force

The Big Clock

Point Blank

The Night Has A Thousand Eyes

Mr. Arkadin

• Like 1

"Airplane!" (1980) took a comical view to flashbacks in which Ted Striker's recollections of his past drove the ones he told it, to suicide.

hqdefault.jpg

"Interstellar" (2014) took a unique take on flashbacks.  After falling into a Black Hole astronaut Joseph Cooper entered the Tesseract - 5th dimension where he literally see flashbacks to every event in his life as easy as going from one room into another. It made the somewhat boring film worth while.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ak_zxWyCclI

DownGoesFrazier--If the movie has firmly established itself in one setting (say, a courtroom) & then 5 minutes later goes back in time to tell the story of the movie, yes (IMHO).  A Long flashback, but a flashback.

I'd agree.  Seems as though a flashback should occur only after a decent amount of time in the present happens but, the minute you see that dreamy dissolve coming on, no matter how early or late you are into a noir, you know you are about to flashback.

• Like 1

DownGoesFrazier--If the movie has firmly established itself in one setting (say, a courtroom) & then 5 minutes later goes back in time to tell the story of the movie, yes (IMHO).  A Long flashback, but a flashback.

Dead Reckoning has one very long flashback.   It starts with about 5 minutes in the church,  has the long flashback and goes back to the church for the ending which last about 25 minutes or so.    As you said,  a long flashback,  but a flashback.   I'm only guessing the time but I would say about 50% of the movie is this flashback.   Narration is used during the flashback  (e.g. Bogie talks to the padre as a way of speaking to us).   This does assist the viewer that we are still in this long flashback.      

• Like 1

I don't think it has a flashback, but DEAD RECKONING, which is infrequently seen on TCM, is on "Movies" tonight at 8 EDT.

Well what would you define what was done in Dead Reckoning?    The film starts in the present time, has the main character talking to someone and telling them how he got into his current state.   Then we go back in time 4 or 5 days.     

Does a flashback have go back more than 4 or 5 days for you to call it a flashback??????

Well what would you define what was done in Dead Reckoning?    The film starts in the present time, has the main character talking to someone and telling them how he got into his current state.   Then we go back in time 4 or 5 days.     

Does a flashback have go back more than 4 or 5 days for you to call it a flashback??????

I stand corrected. Most of the film could be considered a flashback.

Very early in Red Light (1949), Raymond Burr's character flashes back to the moment he was busted for embezzlement at his workplace. This is his motivation for having John Torno's brother, Jess Torno, killed - to get back at John Torno, whom he believed turned him in for his crime.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings