Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Is anyone else having trouble with Firefox not working with Google or other search engines?

FredCDobbs

Something else weird happened this past Friday where I work. 2 computers behaving oddly, only works with Google but MSN and Yahoo doesn't work at all.  They use the standard Windows Explorer and Chrome.

When either is launched, it just sits there with the status icon spinning.  Can't figure it out, since they use Windows 7, I can't help them.  A technician suppose to come by this week. Already tried flushing the cache and restarting..

About 6 months ago I bought a Kaspersky anti-virus and I had to pay a guy to install it. The a couple of weeks ago it disappeared from my computer, except for a note for me to contact Kaspersky technical help, but when I tried to open that window, it led nowhere and nothing happened. So I had to pay the guy to come back out and load it again.

For the past week I've been using Firefox and Google to do a lot of photo and text searches, and they all went fine, but as soon as I turned my computer on this morning, Firefox wouldn't load or use any search engine. It posted a notice saying all the something-or-other files were invalid.

So now I have to get the tech guy back out to my house to get this straightened out.

I know some of these companies are fighting among themselves, and then there are the Chinese, North Koren, and ISIS hackers trying to mess up all our computer systems.

I expect one day to wake up with nothing working.... no electricity, no computer, no internet, no telephone, and my car won't start.

It just started this morning.

I was having no trouble yesterday, but today none of my search engines are working on Firefox.

For clarification: when you say Firefox, are you speaking of the Firefox OS (operating system) or the Firefox browser?

About 6 months ago I bought a Kaspersky anti-virus and I had to pay a guy to install it. The a couple of weeks ago it disappeared from my computer, except for a note for me to contact Kaspersky technical help, but when I tried to open that window, it led nowhere and nothing happened. So I had to pay the guy to come back out and load it again.

For the past week I've been using Firefox and Google to do a lot of photo and text searches, and they all went fine, but as soon as I turned my computer on this morning, Firefox wouldn't load or use any search engine. It posted a notice saying all the something-or-other files were invalid.

So now I have to get the tech guy back out to my house to get this straightened out.

I know some of these companies are fighting among themselves, and then there are the Chinese, North Koren, and ISIS hackers trying to mess up all our computer systems.

I expect one day to wake up with nothing working.... no electricity, no computer, no internet, no telephone, and my car won't start.

I looks like a software conflict or corruption issue.

After reading this from wiki, I myself would stop using  Kaspersky altogether. (if I used it)

<<<  In June 2015, United States National Security Agency and United Kingdom Government Communications Headquarters said NSA and GCHQ agents broke Kaspersky antivirus software so that they could spy on people, leaks indicate. >>>>.

Could had knocked me over with a feather. :angry:

I've been using AVG For Free during the past couple of years and had absolutely no issues whatsoever with it.  Nice thing, it didn't cost me a single cent.   Since my Cisco router has it's own firewall and XP's is on, I don't need the full version. :)

What does this mean?

www.google.com uses an invalid security certificate.

The certificate is not trusted because the issuer certificate is unknown.
The server might not be sending the appropriate intermediate certificates.
An additional root certificate may need to be imported.

Fred, I use Firefox and Google every day, as recently as an hour ago. We have two computers in the house, a desktop, which is what I'm writing this on, that uses Windows 7 and a laptop with Windows 8.1 and both seem to be working fine with Firefox. I wonder if it has to do with you still using XP. I'm not a computer expert so it's just a guess.

What does this mean?

I don't know if this will help or not.  Let a technician or computer geek resolve this if you are uncertain.

http://tandt-u.blogspot.com/2009/02/fix-invalid-security-certificate-error.html

https://support.mozilla.org/questions/1012765

http://sybaspot.com/firefox-version-29-0-1-ssl-invalid-certificate-confirm-exception/

I believe this has something to do with Google not having issued an up-to-date security statement for it's site for this year (2015) - last year's will not do. More than a few sites are in this state, some being retailers who, because of this, can no longer be (fully) trusted with our confidential personal data though they will still accept orders and credit card data while continuing to do business as usual. However, I haven't heard instances of sites not functioning because of this - a puzzler.

When you have a valid, up-to-date security certificate, your URL address should display similar to this: 

Mi9H12b.jpg

I too am using 8.1 as markfp mentioned.. with no difficulty - not XP. Perhaps XP is experiencing problems in this area. Over the years, Microsoft has severed usability with Kaspersky and 7.1/Vista.. perhaps they have recently followed with XP - I couldn't find anything on it, though.

You should still have Internet Explorer installed on your computer and try to see if that connects correctly. If it does then it is the Firefox browser,

Yes, the IE search engines still work, but their images went small a year or two ago so I haven't been using it for a year or more, but Google does work on it.

IE has image resizing in the browser by default, if you go to internet options and advanced there is this-

Enable automatic image resizing

That has to be unchecked to see the normal size images on the internet.

Microsoft came up with that when people were still using dial-up to save on load times, but it is not needed anymore. Yes it is still in the IE browser to this day.

Also, when you do an image search you can specify which size image you want to see in search results. You can choose large, medium or small images.

What does this mean?

Check your Windows system clock (used to be in lower right hand corner of screen, probably still is).  Make sure the day, month, and year are all correct.  Incorrect date would be enough to throw off all the security certificates, as well as other things.

If this is the case, it could be a result of something your technician might have done, your own doing, or possibly a dead system board (BIOS) battery.

MM and MCOH,

Thanks for all the valuable information.

I think Mozilla did this, because it only started all of a sudden yesterday morning when I first turned my computer on. It rejecting all the search engines.

I think I'm going to have to get my computer repairman back out here at the house. He can straighten anything out, for a fee  of course.

Dang!! It suddenly came back. Just now, my Google search engine just suddenly started showing up on Firefox, after 2 days of being gone.

Maybe it was a hack. Maybe it was a Mozilla error. But as of now, It's working.

MM and MCOH,

Thanks for all the valuable information.

I think Mozilla did this, because it only started all of a sudden yesterday morning when I first turned my computer on. It rejecting all the search engines.

I think I'm going to have to get my computer repairman back out here at the house. He can straighten anything out, for a fee  of course.

Well I can come up with a plausible guess for the first part, the second (returning to normal on its own) not so much. 

You didn't say anything about the date on your computer's system clock.

Did you test it on any browsers other than Firefox?  Internet Explorer?  I also still run XP, and have Internet Explorer and Firefox.  For me it has been either all or nothing in this regard.  Either both browsers do work, or both browsers don't work ("invalid certificates" error).

Do you power your computer on and off with an outlet strip or some other external switch?  A reset system clock (just like an unplugged VCR or microwave oven) would do that.  Mine would jump all the way back to 1980 for instance (way outside of the normal date range that website security certificates would allow).  Just something to have your guy look at.  All it would take is for the computer to get unplugged and, at the same time, have a dead watch-sized BIOS battery on the computer's main board (more likely if you leave it unplugged for some time).

I'd say the chances for other causes are fewer.  It could also be something "nefarious", but I kind of doubt it.

Either way I do find it a bit odd that it seemed to resolve itself on its own for a bit.

Fred, have you tried to simply update Firefox, or even uninstall and reinstall. I have solved irregularities like this. Give it a shot if haven't already, before calling these people to come out and charge you money. If you tried this and already mentioned, sorry then.

laffite

Well I can come up with a plausible guess for the first part, the second (returning to normal on its own) not so much. 

Did you test it on any browsers other than Firefox?  Internet Explorer?  I also still run XP, and have Internet Explorer and Firefox.  For me it has been either all or nothing in this regard.  Either both browsers do work, or both browsers don't work ("invalid certificates" error).

Do you power your computer on and off with an outlet strip or some other external switch?  A reset system clock (just like an unplugged VCR or microwave oven) would do that.  Mine would jump all the way back to 1980 for instance (way outside of the normal date range that website security certificates would allow).  Just something to have your guy look at.  All it would take is for the computer to get unplugged and, at the same time, have a dead watch-sized BIOS battery on the computer's main board (more likely if you leave it unplugged for some time).

I'd say the chances for other causes are fewer.  It could also be something "nefarious", but I kind of doubt it.

Either way I do find it a bit odd that it seemed to resolve itself on its own for a bit.

1. An indication it is time to change the motherboard battery is receiving one of the following error messages when you turn on your computer: CMOS CHECKSUM FAILURE, CMOS BATTERY STATE LOW, CMOS SYSTEM OPTIONS NOT SET and CMOS TIME AND DATE NOT SET.
Make certain computer has been off for a while and unplugged from everything in a static free environment. 

CMOS-Battery-3.jpg

Like to add, its worth the investment for a UPC, it will allow you to safely shut down the system in case of power failure and the units have a very good surge protectors built in.
973893_LB_00_FB.EPS_1000.jpg

1. An indication it is time to change the motherboard battery is receiving one of the following error messages when you turn on your computer: CMOS CHECKSUM FAILURE, CMOS BATTERY STATE LOW, CMOS SYSTEM OPTIONS NOT SET and CMOS TIME AND DATE NOT SET.
Make certain computer has been off for a while and unplugged from everything in a static free environment. 

CMOS-Battery-3.jpg

Like to add, its worth the investment for a UPC, it will allow you to safely shut down the system in case of power failure and the units have a very good surge protectors built in.

Yeah, being that he is running XP, I think it is probably a safe thing to assume he is also running it on an older computer.  This is a very specific type of error, and likely on an older computer.

My clock is ok.

My old IE browser does do searches ok, but the images are fairly small.

I noticed somewhere that Firefox automatically upgraded me to the 39 system version last Saturday,and my Firefox search engine problems started the next morning.

My technician should be able to correct the problem, but of course I have to pay him a lot of money to do it.

If I start trying to do it myself or change any settings, I'll just make matters worse.

I have a technician appointment Thursday and I'll let you know what happens.

My clock is ok.

I noticed somewhere that Firefox automatically upgraded me to the 39 system version last Saturday,and my Firefox search engine problems started the next morning.

My technician should be able to correct the problem, but of course I have to pay him a lot of money to do it.

If I start trying to do it myself or change any settings, I'll just make matters worse.

You don't mention my suggestion, so you've looked into that. Good. Terrible to pay so much money when it could be something, really, really, really, really simple. Anyway, good luck.

My clock is ok.

That sounds good.  It sounds as if your upgrade hiccupped and spit up a bit.  I keep the auto-updates disabled and do them manually as needed, or when I have some time to fool around.  I am still on FF version 29 from about 2-3 years ago, so am probably about due for an update myself. :)