Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Is anyone else having trouble with Firefox not working with Google or other search engines?

Not that it will help any, but I found this on the new Firefox update of July 2 :

The last few posts referrence a problem with Google Chrome(?), but no details. At least it appears as if no major problem exists with your system - that's good.

I had seen that and wondered about for myself.  It turns out that "Chrome" is just an internal part of Firefox, and nothing to do with "Google Chrome".  

I had seen that and wondered about for myself.  It turns out that "Chrome" is just an internal part of Firefox, and nothing to do with "Google Chrome".  

Ahhh.. OK. That explains that part. Thanks.

Fred, have you tried to simply update Firefox, or even uninstall and reinstall. I have solved irregularities like this. Give it a shot if haven't already, before calling these people to come out and charge you money. If you tried this and already mentioned, sorry then.

laffite

I don't know how to uninstall and reinstall. My technician will have to do that.

I don't know how to uninstall and reinstall. My technician will have to do that.

You have XP, right?

Go to Control Panel

Find Add/Remove programs.

Look for Firefox on the list, it may be referred to as Mozilla.

Click to remove.

It will tell you that removal is completed.

Open Internet Exlorer

Go to Mozilla.com

Download latest version of Firefox.

After downloading, look on either the desktop or download" file in My Doc. It should be there, one of the other.

Click on downloaded file and it will automatically start installing, asking you to ok things along the way, no big decisions they practically tell you which ones to click (in fact they already clicked, so you can just hit 'next.")

With your new Firefox, you will see that History, Bookmarks, and other preferences will still be there. During the installation, look for a prompt asking if you keep preferences  but I believe Mozilla will recognize your prior preferences automatically.

If you're reluctant to embark on this yourself, at least ask your guy to do this first (or get his opinion whether this should be done). It doesn't take very long and if this solves the problem. it will save a lot of grief later on, because no matter what he does it may not work if Firefox is not updated or re-installed.

Have you ever had some glitch happen generally (like a screen freeze or some nagging thing) and found that a simple restart of the computer solves the problem. Same idea here. Only Firefox requires updates. When you get a message on your screen that there is a new update for Firefox, don't ignore it. It won't take long and it is necessary. Otherwise you eventually encounter problems.

laffite

I awoke today with news that the computers of United Airlines, The Wall Street Journal, and the New York Stock Exchange are all down today. No mention of my computer search engines all being down on firefox. Dang, I don't rate any news coverage.

Russians, Chinese, North Koreans, ISIS and teenagers in Eruope are all working to hack our American computers. Welcome to the 21st Century.

More really cool stuff to read about, even though someone else will fix it..

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/fix-problems-connecting-websites-after-updating

p.s. Is there any way we can combine this thread with the Cats thread?

My local Family Dollar and one of the service stations are having computer problems.  They can sign on but cannot do credit card transactions.  Signs are up....Cash Only!

My local Family Dollar and one of the service stations are having computer problems.  They can sign on but cannot do credit card transactions.  Signs are up....Cash Only!

What is "Cash"??

What is "Cash"??

money-stack-smiley-emoticon.gif

I do the bulk of my activities with it and use the credit card for Paypal and Amazon.  Don't trust banks far as I can throw them.  I'm not going to get caught in the Greek situation and now banks are required to report large withdraws even if it's done by a reputable business.

That's been a common occurrence in my area of Florida since I moved here some 17 years ago. One day, I pulled into my bank's ATM drive-thru and it wouldn't give me any money. It didn't notify me it wasn't working, just displayed something to the effect of no funds available. I had just deposited a very large sum the day before so this freaked me out - thought someone hacked my account.

After I calmed down, I went into the lobby where the teller explained all debit card transactions were unavailable - my account(s) were perfectly fine; intact. She processed my withdrawal at the window.. WHEW!

A week or so prior to this, I attempted to pay my storage facility fee with my debit card, wouldn't go through. Oddly enough, I retried the same card as a charge transaction and it went through with flying colors.

I still trust my bank; credit union, actually.

money-stack-smiley-emoticon.gif

I do the bulk of my activities with it and use the credit card for Paypal and Amazon.  Don't trust banks far as I can throw them.  I'm not going to get caught in the Greek situation and now banks are required to report large withdraws even if it's done by a reputable business.

...and deposits over $10,000. The IRS grabbed a guy who had a succession of (probably cash) deposits just under $10,000. They assumed it was deliberate to prevent bank reports. They assumed it was unreported (ill-gotten) income and froze his account.

...and deposits over $10,000. The IRS grabbed a guy who had a succession of (probably cash) deposits just under $10,000. They assumed it was deliberate to prevent bank reports. They assumed it was unreported (ill-gotten) income and froze his account.

That's why the government stopped making $1,000 bills about 40 or 50 years ago. They made a lot of cash money too easy for gangsters to hide. Also, they made it more difficult for the IRS to find secret income and tax it.

Watch in some old gangster movies and you'll see the big boss pay off someone $10,000 with just ten bills from his wallet.

That's why the government stopped making $1,000 bills about 40 or 50 years ago. They made a lot of cash money too easy for gangsters to hide. Also, they made it more difficult for the IRS to find secret income and tax it.

Watch in some old gangster movies and you'll see the big boss pay off someone $10,000 with just ten bills from his wallet.

That's how Bogie was paid by Sydney in The Maltese Falcon

U.S. currency notes used to be available in denominations of 1,000,000 , 500,000 , 100,000 , 50,000 - these were used mostly for bank and other fund transfers. I'm not sure if they're still in production... probably not. I got to see these up close at the F.B.I. building in Washington, D.C.

Too bad we'll never see that president.

3100221910_6631a12ca4.jpg

One day, I pulled into my bank's ATM drive-thru and it wouldn't give me any money. It didn't notify me it wasn't working, just displayed something to the effect of no funds available. I had just deposited a very large sum the day before so this freaked me out - thought someone hacked my account.

After I calmed down, I went into the lobby where the teller explained all debit card transactions were unavailable - my account(s) were perfectly fine; intact. She processed my withdrawal at the window.. WHEW!

Still, I think that's a little ridiculous - there should have been some kind of sign on the ATM (it sounds like the teller already knew what was going on).  What if this happened to you at night, or when the banks were closed before a holiday, so that you couldn't get help right away?  You would have been beside yourself for days (my bank has only 'regular hours' even when you call its 1-800 number, in terms of being able to speak with an actual rep).

• Like 1

Just the browser. I'm still using Windows XP as the operating system.

As long as your PC is connected to the Internet, or connected to a network that is connected to the Internet, you should seriously consider upgrading your OS. MS is no longer issuing security patches for XP, and the highetst version of IE that can run on XP is very out-of-date. Security patches are one of the defenses your PC has against viruses, Trojan horses, malware, and hackers; "virus protection" (McAfee, MS Security Essentials, etc.) is another; and malware protection is the other. Once MS stops isuing security patches for an OS, virus protection and malware protection companies have very litte motivation to continue updating their applications to protect the OS. Also consider that MS has no reason to continue issuing patching for an outdated version of IE, either, and if you use IE, that is one of the main ways viruses, Trojan horses, and malware access your PC.

If you have ANY personal information on that PC, please consider updating the OS.

As long as your PC is connected to the Internet, or connected to a network that is connected to the Internet, you should seriously consider upgrading your OS. MS is no longer issuing security patches for XP, and the highetst version of IE that can run on XP is very out-of-date. Security patches are one of the defenses your PC has against viruses, Trojan horses, malware, and hackers; "virus protection" (McAfee, MS Security Essentials, etc.) is another; and malware protection is the other. Once MS stops isuing security patches for an OS, virus protection and malware protection companies have very litte motivation to continue updating their applications to protect the OS. Also consider that MS has no reason to continue issuing patching for an outdated version of IE, either, and if you use IE, that is one of the main ways viruses, Trojan horses, and malware access your PC.

If you have ANY personal information on that PC, please consider updating the OS.

This is good advice. I gave up XP with great reluctance but is was necessary. So easy to use. I'm using 8.1 but circumvent most of all the crap by sticking to the desktop window on that horrible opening page. IOW I'm using that part of the OS that most resembles what I remember as XP. Still no Start button though. Yeah, I know, they tried to bring it back but it's not the same. 

Fred, as Notan says, a word to the wise ...

laffite

I'll probably have to upgrade my operating system within the next year.

In the meantime, my technician fixed the problem by changing one line of programming of the new firefox 39. That one line was causing the problem. Now all the search engines work. Cost me $79 for the fix.

I'll probably have to upgrade my operating system within the next year.

In the meantime, my technician fixed the problem by changing one line of programming of the new firefox 39. That one line was causing the problem. Now all the search engines work. Cost me $79 for the fix.

Say buddy, will you stake a fellow American to $79?

:)

Congratulations, Fred!

Say buddy, will you stake a fellow American to $79?

:)

Congratulations, Fred!

Thanks. :)

I don't know what he did, although I watched him do it.

He said he found "one line" of text and number codes that had some problems, so he changed some of the code and that allowed the search engines to work with Firefox. I can't do anything without search engines. :)

Thanks. :)

I don't know what he did, although I watched him do it.

He said he found "one line" of text and number codes that had some problems, so he changed some of the code and that allowed the search engines to work with Firefox. I can't do anything without search engines. :)

Fred, maybe they'll make a movie, they could call it, "The Seventy-Nine Dollar Solution," you could get royalties, and you won't even have to take any drugs.

Fred, maybe they'll make a movie, they could call it, "The Seventy-Nine Dollar Solution," you could get royalties, and you won't even have to take any drugs.

This guy could be in one of those spy movies that involve computers and hacking into foreign computers. He's really good.