Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Is anyone else having trouble with Firefox not working with Google or other search engines?

FredCDobbs

I found quite a few Mozilla support sites containing many similar complaints going back to their very first upgrades and continuing up to this latest. Seems every time they update it causes problems.

Some updates have had programs removed that were essential to user's internet connections as well as browser function. Many users have turned off the Automatic Update feature in their systems so they can fix these issues before they update.

Oy..

Thanks. :)

I don't know what he did, although I watched him do it.

He said he found "one line" of text and number codes that had some problems, so he changed some of the code and that allowed the search engines to work with Firefox. I can't do anything without search engines. :)

Good to hear that part went smootly for you.  

I found quite a few Mozilla support sites containing many similar complaints going back to their very first upgrades and continuing up to this latest. Seems every time they update it causes problems.

Some updates have had programs removed that were essential to user's internet connections as well as browser function. Many users have turned off the Automatic Update feature in their systems so they can fix these issues before they update.

Oy..

I have mine turned off.  Ultimately I will need to upgrade it, but just not automatically.  The day Firefox and Avast (antivirus + firewall) decide to discontunue support for XP is the day I will upgrade.  I don't use Internet Exploder.  Ever.  Nor do I use any Microsoft-borne or desktop email or chat clients, just ordinary web email through Firefox.  If I can't do it through Firefox, then probably it is not worth my time (my conclusion).  Except for my FTP client, for working on websites.  Speaking of Firefox, I have these security-related plug-ins which mostly have to do with blocking the unknown:

Flashblock

Ghostery

Google Privacy

Google Redirects Fixer

There are probably some other useful ones by now that address newer concerns.  On this front, I really haven't had any problems to speak of in a very long time.  It would be nice if more things in life went that smooth.

Oy..

I posted a bit back that I recommended Firefox updates when they were prompted. I stand by that. I have a laptop that sometimes goes unused and I finally boot up, browsing the net is sluggish and slow. Then a message comes on urging a update, and it solves the problems. The updates were not being installed during the laptop layoff. However, I've never has problems with search engines either. I'm not even sure what Mozilla support sites are? Maybe I've good luck with Firefox.

I remember at times turning off MS updates back in XP days because it was recommended that I do. Can't remember why. I don't get many updates with 8.1, Maybe I should have a look at that. I'm not particularly geeky so I find all this stuff withering.

I posted a bit back that I recommended Firefox updates when they were prompted. I stand by that. I have a laptop that sometimes goes unused and I finally boot up, browsing the net is sluggish and slow. Then a message comes on urging a update, and it solves the problems. The updates were not being installed during the laptop layoff. However, I've never has problems with search engines either. I'm not even sure what Mozilla support sites are? Maybe I've good luck with Firefox.

I remember at times turning off MS updates back in XP days because it was recommended that I do. Can't remember why. I don't get many updates with 8.1, Maybe I should have a look at that. I'm not particularly geeky so I find all this stuff withering.

I have my 8.1 set to Auto Update with most coming daily without prompt or interruption. Then I get a prompt about every three or four weeks to update/restart with more important updates. I believe the security updates are the important ones which come every few weeks and will prompt before installing - to help prevent problems. 

For those who create frequent restore back-up points, Auto Updating problems can be less of a strain - but who does this on a regular basis? I think 8.1 can be set to auto create restore points at intervals, but I haven't delved into that yet. I should, lest I be hung on the Tree of Woe one fine day..

..bu bu but wait, there's more! If you order now, we will reduce your system by one more add-on!

http://www.zdnet.com/article/firefox-now-blocks-all-versions-of-flash-player-by-default/#ftag=YHFb1d24ec

Just upgraded about 15 minutes ago from FF v.29 to current v.39.  All I can say is WOW.  I was expecting the sky to fall in my case, since I waited so long.  So I made backups and secondary copies of everything I would need to recreate my profile from scratch.

Then I ran the updater.  Besides the Flash issue you mention, not one thing was out of the ordinary.  There were a few new things I didn't really need, which I promptly removed from the toolbar.  After that, everything looked EXACTLY like the way I had it.   This may be due in part to the amount of UI-substitution plug-ins I use - to make it look like the way Opera looked a few years back - which were still there after the upgrade, and speaking of the plug-ins, there is a new (to me) bulk-update window for the plug-ins.  Also the Saved Passwords Editor plug-in still works.  Very cool.  So far.

• Like 1

Just upgraded about 15 minutes ago from FF v.29 to current v.39.  All I can say is WOW.

I just read an article on the new Windows 10. Except for the top tier Enterprise version(s), users will have no control over regular MS updates. These will auto install - period. If the user should succeed in blocking or removing these updates, MS will sever all future support to that machine.

This is because all users of 10 will, in effect, be guinea pigs in 10's ongoing development into a much stronger OS suitable for the larger business community - the ultimate goal. The mandatory updates will help this development along much quicker in the form of instant feedback from all of 10's user's computers. What a network, eh?

SKYNET

:unsure:

I just read an article on the new Windows 10. Except for the top tier Enterprise version(s), users will have no control over regular MS updates. These will auto install - period. If the user should succeed in blocking or removing these updates, MS will sever all future support to that machine.

This is because all users of 10 will, in effect, be guinea pigs in 10's ongoing development into a much stronger OS suitable for the larger business community - the ultimate goal. The mandatory updates will help this development along much quicker in the form of instant feedback from all of 10's user's computers. What a network, eh?

SKYNET

:unsure:

I'll have to look into that.  I could understand that distinction being made between the Home and Professional versions.  But going by their prior nomenclature, "Enterprise" refers to a server package.  I use "XP Pro" now, which was more expensive than "XP Home" but allows for more configurability and power user options, even if you are not connected to a domain.  I would expect Windows 10 to have similar demarcations as well.  I probably should get some units of Windows 7 Pro - if I still can find them.

Probably explains why they're offering to upgrade my OS from 7 to 10 "absolutely free".

But I don't think I'm gonna accept because I've heard that Windows Media Center will no longer be included in the Windows 10 operating system.