Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Aside from "Officer Krupke", I can't think of many, unless you consider Marni Nixon's voice coming out of Natalie Wood's mouth to be funny.

Actually, her voice sounds almost exactly like Natalie Wood's singing voice, so, no.  That laugh is saved for the ridiculousness of it coming our of Audrey Hepburn's mouth in MY FAIR LADY, where she sounds nothing like Hepburn's singing voice.  But yes," Krupke", some of the lines between characters, "I Feel Pretty", "America", much of the dance at the gym, are all light moments.  Of course, it is not a comedy, but a tragedy.

...But in all my years, I've never yet heard a single person spontaneously burst out into song as a way of continuing a conversation...

Hang with me for a while Andy, and you'll see somebody actually DOING this occasionally, though don't be surprised to find my little shtick "less than welcomed" by most people I do this with. But hell, THAT'S never stopped me!

(...Yep, I've come to expect hearing, "Don't give up your day job" expressed to me afterward very very often dude, and even though I CAN carry a tune pretty well, if I DO say so myself) ;)

LOL

• Like 1

Hang with me for a while Andy, and you'll see somebody actually DOING this occasionally, though don't be surprised to find my little shtick "less than welcomed" by most people I do this with. But hell, THAT'S never stopped me!

(...Yep, I've come to expect hearing, "Don't give up your day job" expressed to me afterward very very often dude, and even though I CAN carry a tune pretty well, if I DO say so myself) ;)

LOL

The best example of spontaneous singing in a movie I can think of is Alan Hale's rendition of "Young people in love are very seldom hungry", as sung to Clark Gable and Claudette Colbert after he's picked them up hitchhiking in It Happened One Night.

Of course Hale then spontaneously tries to steal their luggage as soon as their backs are turned, but we all know you can never trust a traveling troubadour.

Actually, her voice sounds almost exactly like Natalie Wood's singing voice, so, no.  That laugh is saved for the ridiculousness of it coming our of Audrey Hepburn's mouth in MY FAIR LADY, where she sounds nothing like Hepburn's singing voice.  But yes," Krupke", some of the lines between characters, "I Feel Pretty", "America", much of the dance at the gym, are all light moments.  Of course, it is not a comedy, but a tragedy.

In what films did Natalie do her own singing?

I think she did some singing in Inside Daisy Clover, but I dont recall her sounding like Marni Nixon.......

I think she did some singing in Inside Daisy Clover, but I dont recall her sounding like Marni Nixon.......

Natalie Wood was dubbed by Jackie Ward in INSIDE DAISY CLOVER . . . although as with WEST SIDE STORY she thought that her own vocals would be used. 

Natalie Wood did her own singing in GYPSY.

The video below also includes clips from a TV movie about the life of Natalie Wood.

Natalie Wood was dubbed by Jackie Ward in INSIDE DAISY CLOVER . . . although as with WEST SIDE STORY she thought that her own vocals would be used. 

Natalie Wood did her own singing in GYPSY.

The video below also includes clips from a TV movie about the life of Natalie Wood.

So Natalie was actually dubbed dubbing her voice in that movie? Too funny. I didnt really pay much attention to the vocals in that film. The songs were pretty forgettable.

She did her own signing for WEST SIDE STORY, then was dubbed by Marni Nixon.  I'm talking about her voice on the songs in WSS.  Nixon's voice is better, with better intonation, but, I actually believe that all they needed to do was "sweeten" her voice, not completely replace it.

She did her own signing for WEST SIDE STORY, then was dubbed by Marni Nixon.  I'm talking about her voice on the songs in WSS.  Nixon's voice is better, with better intonation, but, I actually believe that all they needed to do was "sweeten" her voice, not completely replace it.

Yes, and if they had genuinely worked with Natalie Wood on her singing rather than just patronizing her with no intention of using her vocals I think she would have amazed even her critics.

In the clip below, I actually prefer Natalie's vocals to the more polished ones of Marni Nixon.

(Richard Beymer is dubbed in this clip as he was in the movie.)

• Like 1

okay, I get why they choose actors like Wood or Hepburn for their 'star power' rather than singing talent, but then why choose Richard Beymer, who was unknown, not terribly handsome and ALSO couldn't sing??

(always wondered) :rolleyes:

okay, I get why they choose actors like Wood or Hepburn for their 'star power' rather than singing talent, but then why choose Richard Beymer, who was unknown, not terribly handsome and ALSO couldn't sing??

Good Question. A good agent???

Originally, the film was going to be cast without any "stars".  Then, the Mirisches got cold feet and said that one of the leads needed to be an established star.  Thus Wood.  Robert Wise's original choices for Tony and Maria were Keir Dullea and Barbara Luna.  Dullea, refused to cut his hair for the role, and Luna was out when Wood was in.  Years later, I sat next to Keir Dullea at a charity dinner, and asked him about the hair business.  He confirmed, saying he was terrified of actually doing the role and used it as an excuse to get out of it.  He didn't appear to regret it, though I don't know that, for sure.  Beymer was cast, because Wise liked his audition.  He was slated to be dubbed, from the beginning.

Also, to me, Richard Beymer looked Latin, and should more appropriately have been in the Puerto Rican gang.

• Like 1

I just got through watching the movie and appreciate the comments.  I love musicals and get a kick out of how Romeo & Juliet traveled across the ocean and 400 years to still be so compelling and relevant a story in 1950's NYC..

Thank you for the clip of Natalie Wood singing Tonight.  I agree that with work she might have been able to totally perform the role rather than just acting it.  The same thing was done to Ava Gardner in Showboat;  I've heard her sing Can't Help Loving That Man of Mine and her voice was nearly as good as her dubber and had a lot more feeling.  I'd rather hear a less than perfect voice with real expression than a more polished one with perfect phrasing but not much else.  

Good songs advance the storyline of a film or condense it into the lyrics.  Some are remembered long after the film.  Sometimes I think the dancing goes on too long or detracts from the music but generally I enjoy the numbers.  Perhaps musicals are not just Andy's cup of tea.  That does not make him or anybody else right or wrong; it's a matter of our personal tastes.   

• Like 2

I just got through watching the movie and appreciate the comments.  I love musicals and get a kick out of how Romeo & Juliet traveled across the ocean and 400 years to still be so compelling and relevant a story in 1950's NYC..

Thank you for the clip of Natalie Wood singing Tonight.  I agree that with work she might have been able to totally perform the role rather than just acting it.  The same thing was done to Ava Gardner in Showboat;   I've heard her sing Can't Help Loving That Man of Mine and her voice was nearly as good as her dubber and had a lot more feeling.  I'd rather hear a less than perfect voice with real expression than a more polished one with perfect phrasing but not much else.  

Good songs advance the storyline of a film or condense it into the lyrics.  Some are remembered long after the film.  Sometimes I think the dancing goes on too long or detracts from the music but generally I enjoy the numbers.  Perhaps musicals are not just Andy's cup of tea.  That does not make him or anybody else right or wrong; it's a matter of our personal tastes.   

A decent actress who is used to emoting has an advantage right out of the box over someone like Marni Nixon, who couldn't act her way out of a paper bag.

A decent actress who is used to emoting has an advantage right out of the box over someone like Marni Nixon, who couldn't act her way out of a paper bag.

I haven't seen any of her few movie roles, so I wouldn't know. Can we remember though that she was primarily a singer? I think she should get credit for being able to sing her way out of a paper bag, at least. She did some heavy roles in opera though she had a relatively modest career in some respects. She never sang at the Met for instance. She was more than respectable or she wouldn't have sang at the houses at which she did sing. Acting wasn't her primary goal in life. It was singing. She is still alive, about 85.

• Like 1

Originally, the film was going to be cast without any "stars".  Then, the Mirisches got cold feet and said that one of the leads needed to be an established star.  Thus Wood.  Robert Wise's original choices for Tony and Maria were Keir Dullea and Barbara Luna.  Dullea, refused to cut his hair for the role, and Luna was out when Wood was in.  Years later, I sat next to Keir Dullea at a charity dinner, and asked him about the hair business.  He confirmed, saying he was terrified of actually doing the role and used it as an excuse to get out of it.  He didn't appear to regret it, though I don't know that, for sure.  Beymer was cast, because Wise liked his audition.  He was slated to be dubbed, from the beginning.

I quoted myself to add that they also dubbed Russ Tamblyn in "The Jet Song", after the fact.  Tamblyn recorded it and sang to his own track when they filmed the number, but Tucker Smith who is also is in the film and sings, "Cool", dubbed him.  Saul Chaplin (associate producer and in charge of all the music choices), was funny that way.  He had an expectation of how something should sound, and would choose to dub to get it.  Although, accordingly to Tamblyn, he never heard that anyone was unhappy with his take on the song, and would have, gladly redone it, to give them what they wanted.  Chaplin did the same thing to Rita Moreno, who is only singing in "America".

I quoted myself to add that they also dubbed Russ Tamblyn in "The Jet Song", after the fact.  Tamblyn recorded it and sang to his own track when they filmed the number, but Tucker Smith who is also is in the film and sings, "Cool", dubbed him.  Saul Chaplin (associate producer and in charge of all the music choices), was funny that way.  He had an expectation of how something should sound, and would choose to dub to get it.  Although, accordingly to Tamblyn, he never heard that anyone was unhappy with his take on the song, and would have, gladly redone it, to give them what they wanted.  Chaplin did the same thing to Rita Moreno, who is only singing in "America".

Here's a clip with Russ Tamblyn's own vocals for "The Jet Song" as well as a bit of Tucker Smith's vocal which was used in the actual film.

The clip also includes Natalie Wood's vocals for "I Feel Pretty" (which were replaced by Marni Nixon's in the released movie).

• Like 1

Does doing your own singing as opposed to having it dubbed by another hurt or help your award chances?  Both Russ and George Chakeris  were nominated for the male supporting actor Oscar that George won.  Was that his voice we heard as Bernardo or another's and if his did that give him a edge?  I know that was Sissy Spacek rather than Loretta Lynn we heard in Coal Miner's Daughter and she took home the little gold man that year.  Rita Moreno needed no dubbing; she has a Tony and Grammy as well as her WWS Oscar to prove it. 

I'd say it helps to do your own singing--Chakiris was the only one of the principal actors Not to be dubbed (according to imdb & wikipedia), & he walked away with an Oscar--Moreno did her own singing & also walked away with an Oscar--as per your post, same with Sissy Spacek in Coal Miner's Daughter (1980).  If an actor is dubbed, they're usually Less likely to win an Oscar--because someone else provided a vital part of their performance (the singing).   JMO.