Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL...and some funny observations.

Dargo

After watching a promo for TCM's upcoming showing of THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL this week(and one of my all-time favorite Sci-Fi movies), I ventured to the IMDb website to see their "rating"(a "7.8", btw) and read some of the comments others might have about this movie.

Well, while the following will definitely not sway my opinion to any degree or lower my estimation of Robert Wise's 1951 classic, I found myself laughing out loud at this one particular thread started in the comments sections of this film's webpage and thought perhaps some of you folks here might also enjoy it and which is a "list" of what "is learned" by some members of the IMDb membership after a viewing of this film, and consisting of many of the plot holes, incongruities and anachronisms in it...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0043456/board/nest/173979773?ref_=tt_bd_6

• Like 6

I like this one:

39. Alien spacemen would make fantastic math teachers.

Aside from the fact that Michael Rennie can teach Sam Jaffe the finer points of celestial mechanics, I was more impressed when he taught Billy Gray how to divide two fractions - using a method which makes more sense than the method we now teach.

• Like 4

& this one....

18. To a space robot, 'Nic toe' means 'pick me up and bring me inside' and 'nic too' means 'do not destroy the planet'.

(Reeealy gotta watch your pronunciation here !) :o

- Also a fav classic sci-fi of mine ;)

Cosmic_Man_Klaatu.jpg

• Like 3

Here's a couple that really cracked me up, among so many others that is...

84. When making first contact with an aggressive and warlike primitive race, walk down the ramp with an object that is totally unrecognizable by them and flick it in a dramatic way that makes them think it's a weapon. 

And then there was THIS one...

83. The central female character is a short-haired brunette in normal clothing – but make sure you feature a long-haired, skimpy-dressed blonde for the poster. 

And so I checked out some of the posters for this flick on Google Image, and sure enough, one of the posters I found was this...

9921639dc3fdd1249e6f34beadbe24b2.jpg

• Like 6

I like this one:

39. Alien spacemen would make fantastic math teachers.

Aside from the fact that Michael Rennie can teach Sam Jaffe the finer points of celestial mechanics, I was more impressed when he taught Billy Gray how to divide two fractions - using a method which makes more sense than the method we now teach.

Hmmmm...now I wonder why THIS one in particular piqued your interest here, Rich? ;) 

Here's a couple that really cracked me up, among so many others that is...

84. When making first contact with an aggressive and warlike primitive race, walk down the ramp with an object that is totally unrecognizable by them and flick it in a dramatic way that makes them think it's a weapon. 

And then there was THIS one...

83. The central female character is a short-haired brunette in normal clothing – but make sure you feature a long-haired, skimpy-dressed blonde for the poster. 

And so I checked out some of the posters for this flick on Google Image, and sure enough, one of the posters I found was this...

9921639dc3fdd1249e6f34beadbe24b2.jpg

It's amazing how many posters of too many movies featured things that not only weren't in the movie, but did not seem to relate at all.  Of course truth in advertising was an alien concept at the time.

• Like 2

It's amazing how many posters of too many movies featured things that not only weren't in the movie, but did not seem to relate at all.  Of course truth in advertising was an alien concept at the time.

Yep Cid, very very true.

(...though NOW DAYS of course, it's the concept of "truth in advertising" that's sadly "alien" in just about every one of those 30 second television political ads we're about to be inundated with this coming election year....AAAGH!!!) LOL

;)

• Like 1

After watching a promo for TCM's upcoming showing of THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL this week(and one of my all-time favorite Sci-Fi movies), I ventured to the IMDb website to see their "rating"(a "7.8", btw) and read some of the comments others might have about this movie.

Well, while the following will definitely not sway my opinion to any degree or lower my estimation of Robert Wise's 1951 classic, I found myself laughing out loud at this one particular thread started in the comments sections of this film's webpage and thought perhaps some of you folks here might also enjoy it and which is a "list" of what "is learned" by some members of the IMDb membership after a viewing of this film, and consisting of many of the plot holes, incongruities and anachronisms in it...

Bumping up your link, Dargo.

Some very funny stuff.

I liked number 2 ...

2. Its okay to let some stranger watch your kid and take him around town for awhile while there is a global panic and hunt for an escaped alien.

• Like 1

Bumping up your link, Dargo.

Some very funny stuff.

I liked number 2 ...

2. Its okay to let some stranger watch your kid and take him around town for awhile while there is a global panic and hunt for an escaped alien.

Thanks Bogie!

And yeah, that No.2 there IS especially hilarious, ain't it!

(...even in '51, I doubt there'd be many mothers who would have allowed such a thing...though in THIS case, I always just thought that Pat Neal was probably just taken with Michael Rennie's cheekbones and soothing voice enough to override any concerns she may have had!) LOL

• Like 1

Hey, that's right!  I don't remember any large hand gripping the Earth.

• Like 1

Argh!  You beat me to it!  I planned to start a thread about The Day the Earth Stood Still!  Yes, there are numerous howlers in it.  And I've thought of making a list of them, but when I think of how great the film is, I don't see the point.  In fact, it's a mark of how great it is that despite the massive plot holes, absurdities, incongruities, and the like, it's still one of the most magnificent movies ever made--of any type, let alone s/f.  The reasons?  Perhaps its the design of the alien space ship and Gort--streamlined, laking details, allowing the audience to read into them their imagination and fears (much like the shadows of film noirs).  Perhaps it's the direction and cinematography, which is stunning in parts.  I think most of the appeal is in the characterizations.  After all, Patricia Neal is no slouch as an actor.  She pulls off her performance of a woman strangely disquieted by a man, whose appearance wakes her up to the possibilities in the other sex, possibilities she never imagined existed, possibilities which make her current squeeze appear mundane by comparison, possibilities she may not realize she is interested in exploring.  Wasn't it a delicious thing for Fifties audiences to witness, a woman with the hots for an emotionless alien?  (What does that remind me of?)  And Michael Rennie's disquieting, dispassionate, un-human, squirm-inducing, yet altogether enthralling portrayal of the alien messenger lifts the movie out of the common run of Communist-fear-infused B-fi movies of the time.  But what really nails it is Klaatu's final speech, where he tells the human race, "Look, we don't care what you do to yourselves, but if you bring your s**t to us, we'll take you out."  Not your typical statement in a Fifties movie.

• Like 5

Argh!  You beat me to it!  I planned to start a thread about The Day the Earth Stood Still!  Yes, there are numerous howlers in it.  And I've thought of making a list of them, but when I think of how great the film is, I don't see the point.  In fact, it's a mark of how great it is that despite the massive plot holes, absurdities, incongruities, and the like, it's still one of the most magnificent movies ever made--of any type, let alone s/f.  The reasons?  Perhaps its the design of the alien space ship and Gort--streamlined, laking details, allowing the audience to read into them their imagination and fears (much like the shadows of film noirs).  Perhaps it's the direction and cinematography, which is stunning in parts.  I think most of the appeal is in the characterizations.  After all, Patricia Neal is no slouch as an actor.  She pulls off her performance of a woman strangely disquieted by a man, whose appearance wakes her up to the possibilities in the other sex, possibilities she never imagined existed, possibilities which make her current squeeze appear mundane by comparison, possibilities she may not realize she is interested in exploring.  Wasn't it a delicious thing for Fifties audiences to witness, a woman with the hots for an emotionless alien?  (What does that remind me of?)  And Michael Rennie's disquieting, dispassionate, un-human, squirm-inducing, yet altogether enthralling portrayal of the alien messenger lifts the movie out of the common run of Communist-fear-infused B-fi movies of the time.  But what really nails it is Klaatu's final speech, where he tells the human race, "Look, we don't care what you do to yourselves, but if you bring your s**t to us, we'll take you out."  Not your typical statement in a Fifties movie.

Well said, Slayton. I agree with everything you just said here.

(...well, ALMOST everything anyway...I still say that it was Rennie's cheekbones and that Brit accent of his that got Pat Neal all hot and bothered in this thing...I mean, YOU know how the ladies always fall for that sort'a thing, now doncha?!) ;)

LOL

And now for a few more of my favorites from that IMDb thread...

45. The population of 1950 Washington D. C. was so jaded that after a few days even an alien spaceship was boring and nobody came to see it at night. Furthermore, two guys with rifles were enough security to guard it. 

46. When you point the cannon of a tank at an enemy spaceship, good military protocol requires that you hedge your bet by having the tank driver point his pistol at the spaceship as well. 

68. When a spaceship from another planet lands, the first thing you want to do is go to work on it with a blow-torch, and a jackhammer.

82. When bringing a robot along, make sure you pick the slowest one possible.

83. For the same robot, bring no electronic communication means between one another, should you ever get in trouble. 

89. I guess diamonds are an alien's best friend also. 

• Like 2

After reading all of this DUCK SOUP starts to seem more relevant. :D

Well, remember here Mr.R., we're fighting for this alien's honor...and which is probably more than HE ever did!

(...especially whenever that big galoot Gort is around)

• Like 1

Well said, Slayton. I agree with everything you just said here.

(...well, ALMOST everything anyway...I still say that it was Rennie's cheekbones and that Brit accent of his that got Pat Neal all hot and bothered in this thing...I mean, YOU know how the ladies always fall for that sort'a thing, now doncha?!) ;)

LOL

Yes, sadly, I do.  I have to carry a stick with me whenever I go out.  And I constantly have to guard myself from developing a British accent for fear of being completely overwhelmed. . . .

(I find rubberized robots infinitely more acceptable in movies than people breaking out into song. . . .unless Gort started into the Puttin' on the Ritz routine from Young Frankenstein. . . .) (there, now I'm putting in parenthetical closing comments. . . .)

• Like 2

Yes, sadly, I do.  I have to carry a stick with me whenever I go out.  And I constantly have to guard myself from developing a British accent for fear of being completely overwhelmed. . . .

(I find rubberized robots infinitely more acceptable in movies than people breaking out into song. . . .unless Gort started into the Puttin' on the Ritz routine from Young Frankenstein. . . .) (there, now I'm putting in parenthetical closing comments. . . .)

LOL

Now slayton. Didn't anybody warn ya that I'm a bad influence around here?!   ;)

(...loved the "Gort/Puttin' on the Ritz" thing here, btw) 

This was a rather astute observation

27. Jeep tires squeal on grass.

I 'heard' one the other day when watching Guess Who's Coming to Dinner?  Whenever someone used the 'stone' steps in the garden you could hear the wood creaking under foot.

• Like 1

This was a rather astute observation

27. Jeep tires squeal on grass.

I 'heard' one the other day when watching Guess Who's Coming to Dinner?  Whenever someone used the 'stone' steps in the garden you could hear the wood creaking under foot.

Same thing with "War of The Worlds",  how can a Martian with suction cups sneak up on Ann Robinson?  Wouldn't she hear pop...pop...pop...pop. :lol: 

War-of-the-worlds-Deus-ex-machina.png

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings