Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Shirley Temple SOTM Night One

sewhite2000

I watched all of LITTLE MISS MARKER and the first 55 minutes of NOW & FOREVER before I got too sleepy to go on. I felt I had a pretty good idea of where the latter was heading. Someone will have to tell me if there was a really shocking ending. MARKER was not said to be a premiere by RO, while N&F was, so I assume the former has played on TCM previously, though it was personally my first time to see either. Had CURLY TOP been next in the queue, I might have fought to stay up, as I've never seen it, but BRIGHT EYES, which has aired multiple times on TCM in the past couple of years, was due up third, and I didn't particularly care to watch it again.

I had no idea that Shirley had made her first really big splashes in these pair of loanouts to Paramount. They certainly paired her up with some pretty big name co-stars: Adolphe Menjou, Charles Bickford, Gary Cooper and Carole Lombard! Neither film required a whole lot of her except to be adorable. The were curiously light on singing and dancing. I guess that was mostly the Fox films. I found both of them to be instructive in my understanding of why Temple was such a huge star, if not necessarily the greatest movies of all time. Hard to imagine a five-year-old could so capture the public imagination today. Well, maybe Honey Boo Boo ...

I must confess at the risk of upsetting other posters that I found Lombard to be pretty terrible in a straight dramatic role. Ditzy comedy was definitely her forte. Her line deliveries were really wooden and awkward. I enjoyed seeing an example of Cooper as more of a roguish-but-ultimately-good-hearted type, more common to his early career, before he sort of ossified into more one-dimensional square-jawed hero roles.

Props to TCM for a night of films all from Fox and/or the Paramount stash now controlled by Universal on their first night of the Temple tribute. You really couldn't have a proper SOTM month for her using only what's available in the TCM library. I remember thinking many years TCM could never really be sort of an all-encompassing repository for classic film if they never or hardly ever showed any early Temple films, seeing how iconic they've become. I'm glad they're finally doing so.

• Like 2

agreed Now and Forever was kind of a stinker. Lombard was wasted, & Temple had little to do.

(got bored and quit after maybe 30 min.) Nice seeing a young Cooper being roguish though, even only for awhile.

"Bright Eves" &"Curly Top" were better Temple showcases (even with Boles 'singing' and being a general bore. ;)

agreed Now and Forever was kind of a stinker. Lombard was wasted, & Temple had little to do.

(got bored and quit after maybe 30 min.) Nice seeing a young Cooper being roguish though, even only for awhile.

"Bright Eves" &"Curly Top" were better Temple showcases (even with Boles 'singing' and being a general bore. ;)

Yes, given all the talent in Now and Forever the movie was flat.  Still I was glad I saw the film since it was the only film Cooper and Lombard made together and on my bucket list.

I'm one of those people who prefers Lombard in serious roles but she wasn't given much to do in Now and Forever. I don't remember seeing it before so I was glad TCM showed it. Little Miss Marker I like better, but I'd seen it the last time TCM showed it.

Man, NOW AND FOREVER was a real turkey. With all those stars, I can't believe the film was so bad... mainly boring.

I assume Cooper eventually died at the end, but that was a vague ending.

I can't believe they made such a big deal about Cooper taking his daughter back, and then he gives her away again, this time to an old lady.

Shirley Temple was a great actress, with just the right initial reaction to Lombard. Some very good acting by that kid.

• Like 1

I watched Bright Eyes, one of my favorites for the pure evil that is Jane Withers' character. God, that kid is rotten!

It's a good little flick, but I was taken aback when the kid is walking down the road hitch-hiking and some man picks her up. Wow. Not in this day and age.

I watched Bright Eyes, one of my favorites for the pure evil that is Jane Withers' character. God, that kid is rotten!

It's a good little flick, but I was taken aback when the kid is walking down the road hitch-hiking and some man picks her up. Wow. Not in this day and age.

That's why we old-timers often talk about "the good old days".

Unlike most people, I enjoyed Now and Forever, especially Coop as a bit of a rogue.  Shirley was enchanting, a real little con-artist scene stealer!

Bright Eyes always makes me tear up -- maybe it's James Dunne.  Like other posters, I also thought about how many times during this movie child services would have been called to intervene!

One thing about Shirley Temple, I wouldn't want to be cast as a parent or guardian in one of her films, as that seems to destine one for the morgue.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings