Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What About a Fedora

I already had a couple of fedoras that I've worn with dresses, including a white one to my niece's wedding.  I wear my black one with jeans and Hawaiian shirt.  Definitely not noir, but fun.

I think Billy Wilder was onto something. I think I need to keep my brain warm :-)

PS, I like hats in general, and a good fedora is a wonderful thing to have. I've been meaning to buy a new one for myself. As an aside, I agree that watching these films makes one want to go out and get a fedora. 

• Like 2

Richard,

I received my Fedora today. It's black and fits perfect and wore it around the block tonight.

I think Billy Wilder was onto something. I think I need to keep my brain warm :-)

PS, I like hats in general, and a good fedora is a wonderful thing to have. I've been meaning to buy a new one for myself. As an aside, I agree that watching these films makes one want to go out and get a fedora. 

Just as a point of order, from a long-time fedora-wearing dieselpunk (and member of The Fedora Lounge and editor at dieselpunks.org): Please, don't go buying a trilby and mistaking it for a fedora. Most people today call those little canvas hats with the narrow brim (hence their alternate name in the UK, the "stingy brim" hat) and creased crown that hipsters wear "fedoras". A real fedora is made of felt, has a pinched crown and a wider (1 1/2 inches or more) brim. Hopefully this advice will prevent a few people from making a tragic mistake.  ;)

3eaedccd082bc37c0c060cb430803d5e.jpg

you got that right, i could never see bogie, marlowe wearing a Tribly, just wouldnt look right

Just as a point of order, from a long-time fedora-wearing dieselpunk (and member of The Fedora Lounge and editor at dieselpunks.org): Please, don't go buying a trilby and mistaking it for a fedora. Most people today call those little canvas hats with the narrow brim (hence their alternate name in the UK, the "stingy brim" hat) and creased crown that hipsters wear "fedoras". A real fedora is made of felt, has a pinched crown and a wider (1 1/2 inches or more) brim. Hopefully this advice will prevent a few people from making a tragic mistake.  ;)

3eaedccd082bc37c0c060cb430803d5e.jpg

• Like 1

http://differencegenie.com/trilby-vs-fedora-hats/

This lady has it mostly right, though most trilbys these days are patterned cloth or canvas, no longer felt. I've never seen a cloth fedora, and straw ones are usually called Panama hats.

Incidentally, both hats are descended from the Bavarian Tyrolean hunting cap, also known as an Alpine hat.

157001.jpg

Check out shop.tcm.com and then the Summer of Darkness link on the left.  TCM has two styles of fedoras for sell.

My father lived to be 99 and 1/2 and always wore a hat.  Fedora in the winter and straw in the summer.

Classic line from The Big Chill, William Hurt is watching old movie on TV and someone comes in and asks him what it is about.  "I'm not sure.  I think the man in the hat did something."  There's a bunch of guys in a 30's or 40's movie and all of them have on a fedora even though they are inside an office.  Probably a round up of criminals at the PD office in a film noir.

• Like 2

My husband, who is a bit challenged in the hair department, used to wear baseball caps all the time to keep his head warm or protect it from the sun.  A few years ago, I decided he needed something more professional looking to wear with his business clothes and bought him a cheap soft felt fedora.  It fit him perfectly somehow and he loved the look.  Long story short, he now owns several fedoras in felt and straw. They're so much more classy and interesting for men than baseball caps, no matter what you're wearing.

Now that fedoras and trilbys are popular for women too, I bought my first straw one for summer and plan to buy more.

Come on, ladies and gentlemen, bring the fedora back to stay.

• Like 2

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings