Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Two great youtube video essays about lighting film noir and film noir's origins

While looking around on youtube, I found two videos I thought were worth sharing from the same channel. The first is a short 6-7 minute video essay titled "The Basics of Lighting Film Noir"

You'll notice a lot of common comments to the 1970s article assigned in last week, but there's more of an industry perspective and pulling back of the curtain about how these classically noir images were generated.

The second video is another longer video essay titled and about "The Origins of Film Noir"

Although much of this material is a bit repetitive to what's already been covered, there are still plenty of interesting nuggets, tidbits, and new movies to seek out.

If you enjoy these videos, I'd definitely recommend this youtube channel, FilmmakerIQ, as it's one made by professional filmmakers and those in the movie-making community and many of the videos are very high-quality in their explanations of film techniques, various movie traditions and histories, and professional jargon like gobos or a key light. 

• Like 4

While looking around on youtube, I found two videos I thought were worth sharing from the same channel. The first is a short 6-7 minute video essay titled "The Basics of Lighting Film Noir"

You'll notice a lot of common comments to the 1970s article assigned in last week, but there's more of an industry perspective and pulling back of the curtain about how these classically noir images were generated.

The second video is another longer video essay titled and about "The Origins of Film Noir"

Although much of this material is a bit repetitive to what's already been covered, there are still plenty of interesting nuggets, tidbits, and new movies to seek out.

If you enjoy these videos, I'd definitely recommend this youtube channel, FilmmakerIQ, as it's one made by professional filmmakers and those in the movie-making community and many of the videos are very high-quality in their explanations of film techniques, various movie traditions and histories, and professional jargon like gobos or a key light. 

Thank you Brian Blake.  I found the first video very informative.  I am not a technical person but it is always interesting to learn how effects are achieved in film.  How often have we been impressed by an actor's performance when it is actually being enhanced by the lighting of the scene.